• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm Potential

snowlover2

Who in the their right mind takes a D5+ solution seriously anyways, they're fluid and you watch the trends. As for this season, I can't think of a single bust either way, legit threats materialized as modeled and low probability events, missed wide. If you've payed attention to models and factored in a couple seasonal trends, it's been pretty easy to see what's going to happen within a reasonable time frame.

That said, they're will always be scenarios were small changes can lead to drastic wx difference within a small geographic area, but they happen every year.

how has chicago fared so far this season....what was your biggest event?

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

feel your pain...all the clipper waa events in December did that too us moving clockwise around us north to south to east. Damn block

well you're looking good for a few, maybe several inches :thumbsup:

if the storm track this season was a mere 50 miles further NW, id be having a great winter....unfortuantely they keep hitting the wall off new england. ive never had so many warnings 30 miles away while i get nothing lol, today is the 4th time and friday will be the 5th time.

cant wait to move somewhere warm someday so i dont have to look at the models anymore lol

rant over/

how has chicago fared so far this season....what was your biggest event?

5.5 or so, lots of 2-4 inch events. Probably sitting somewhere around normal but it's going to start lagging soon. All rough guesses though since i don't keep track of these things all too closely, pretty much the opposite of Chistorm in that regard. Most of the clipper train passed to my southwest as the lakes blocking flexed it's muscle. I'd be well below average if not for a couple nice gifts from the lake. Synoptically, it has been a disaster.

Amazing people are getting so hyped up by this storm. Never had alot of support and now is looking more and more like a northern stream event........for everybody.

It is what it is.

wave on the arctic boundary....basically. It's probably the best we could hope for out of this setup. I think we were just holding out for a more phased nam-ish solution. Damn baro got me all lathered up with his apocalyptic talk. :P

Amazing people are getting so hyped up by this storm. Never had alot of support and now is looking more and more like a northern stream event........for everybody.

It is what it is.

Yep. But when you keep getting ur balls busted it gets old lol.. I'm saying 2-3" not even going to bother making a map for this one I don't believe.. what time does the ukie show, Buckeye?

wave on the arctic boundary....basically. It's probably the best we could hope for out of this setup. I think we were just holding out for a more phased nam-ish solution. Damn baro got me all lathered up with his apocalyptic talk. :P

Yep, but baro had a right to get excited. The gfs was consistantly getting closer with each run to a phase and then 0z went the opposite direction of what it had been doing.. So ya can't blame him. Blame the models.

Cobb output on the nam has 6.3 inches for me.

5.3 inches from GFS, will assume Ukmet is similiar with .35 or so QPF.

then the GEM, well guy tries to drop about 8 inches here.

the nogaps drops around 6-6.5 which is insane for it.

that leaves the RGEM which is wet threw 48, not as wet as the GGEM but looks like a 6 inch hit extrapolated.

King is next..

I will say this..I am glad the nam is not the outlier with 6-10 inches while the rest have 2-4 inches.

I would say 5-6 looks good right now.

ratios will be high and we will see prolonged lift.

Its 3rd down and 25 and you have a run play drawn up, sound like next model runs will be the 4th down punt :(

yep, now the NAM is holding on by a thread. It's up to the EURO to bring this ship from the brink of sinking... In all serious though, if the EURO comes in looking similar to the GFS it's a 80% chance that game is over for any big snows.. The other 20% would be jic they decide to shift back tonight once it is on shore and sampled better.

HAHA to lighten up the room I thought I'd do a timeline of events for many OH posters.. Some of you may get a laugh..

last night: Nam run comes out.:mapsnow: Ohio posters: Woohoo! Direct Hit! I think we should gas up the snow mobiles for this one :sled:

Other Models come out: "Oh well it still shows a decent hit for us." Still a good 5"+ snowfall. Lets go to bed and get refreshed for the great things we are going to see on the 12z runs.. WOOHOO!!!

12z runs: Nam comes out. Ohio Posters: Not as good as last night but still a great hit for many of us. :pepsi: No we need to see what the other models have to say..

Other Models come out. Ohio posters: Wow well that sucks, but we still have the Euro to hope for. :snowwindow:

Euro comes out. Ohio Posters: That's it. I have had it with this winter.. Stupid models anyways, I'll show them. suicide.gif

DO do do do wop, another day in the life of a Ohio Weather Weenie.. the end. lol

HR 54: LT-MOD precip throughout most of MO, through STL, and into S. IND. LT precip in OH, N. MO, C. IL, and IND.

HR 60: LT precip in SE MO, C. IL, most of Ind., and most of OH. LT-MOD precip in S. IND and MAYBE extreme SW Ohio.

HR 66: LT precip Ohio, storm is pretty much done.

I highly doubt OH gets more then .2 in this run.

I'm not sure what's shocking about models progressively adjusting their solutions as we approach an event. The writing was on the all with this one 2 days ago and the models have done a fine job aside from a couple of minor timing issues which game borderline folks some hope, but they've been pretty consistent with the big picture. In fact thinking back on the year, i can't think of a single major model bust IMBY.

Very well put. Outside of the lake effect it has been a very easy (well, relatively speaking) winter forecasting these synoptic events within 5 days. Anybody who takes a model forecast (details) beyond 5 days seriously needs help.

Cliff notes version of the 12z Euro:

-KC/NW MO gets smacked at 42 hours

-JLN to STL to IND to CMH look like the zone of best snows thereafter, but more so for JLN/STL (3-6"?) than IND/CMH (2-4"?)

-Going to be further QPF reductions on the north side

-And for those that care, the NE gets pretty much whiffed as well

Archived