Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm Potential

snowlover2

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the models have been a MESS this winter for the most part. Best anecdote I can give you...the models frequently weaken or even lose a storm completely 3-5 days out, only to bring it back once it gets at least partially sampled onshore. :)

You seem to be stuck in 2007-08. How many 6"+ storms have rolled through yby so far this winter? Over here, there have been none. However, I can sure remember the models depicting several of them 5 days out. 5 days ago today is a good example.

I admire your optimism Josh but sometimes it borders on delusion.

I thinks its the banana high that wont let the storm cut harder toward the eastern lakes.

Just weird how yesterday temp dropped to 10f, now it's 35 and rain. This storm was not all that impressive, but it managed to pull in a bunch of warm air aloft. Next system, fairly strong, never phases, to much cold air, etc.. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Just weird how yesterday temp dropped to 10f, now it's 35 and rain. This storm was not all that impressive, but it managed to pull in a bunch of warm air aloft. Next system, fairly strong, never phases, to much cold air, etc.. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It has been amazing how these storms wont cut more, but thats just the way it is. I still think we can squeeze out a whopping 2 inches out of this.

Who's saying that? He's disappointed because of the lack of a "big storm" so far this winter, and I share his sentiments.

Who's saying that? Ajdos, to whom I replied. He has done it every single event this winter, sometimes hes right, sometimes hes wrong. As for a "big" storm, weve had a 6" storm, and the potential for this event being 6"+ here seemed minimal at best, its potential this far north was mostly a nice several inch snow. (The potential for Jan 25-26 is another story).

You seem to be stuck in 2007-08. How many 6"+ storms have rolled through yby so far this winter? Over here, there have been none. However, I can sure remember the models depicting several of them 5 days out. 5 days ago today is a good example.

I admire your optimism Josh but sometimes it borders on delusion.

Umm...there has been 1 imby, pretty much everyone in SE MI have had one (the screw areas Dec 12th were the jackpot Jan 11th). And stuck in 2007-08? Im not talking about NW trending (that was 07-08), Im talking about the models struggling until a system is sampled. The NWS discos talk about it all the time. Oh, and thanks for calling me delusional, imo delusional was thinking you wouldnt get to 30" with 4 months of snow left. Guess "delusional" is a relative term.

wow for new england...again. This would be like their third blizzard in 2 weeks.

Seasonal trends, FTL. I have to admit it stings a little considering their big year last season and la nina climo. At least you'll salvage 3-5".

Blindfolded monkey could have made that choice.

I made it yesterday.

Who's saying that? He's disappointed because of the lack of a "big storm" so far this winter, and I share his sentiments.

+1000!!!

Like I said, some people couldn't give a rat's arse about snoncover if the winter's dry or lacking a big storm, and some people couldn't give a rat's arse about a big storm or dry weather if they have persistent snowcover. It's perfectly ok to be frustrated about the lack of a big storm or a dry winter just as it's perfectly ok to be frustrated with a winter that has awful snowcover. Different strokes for different folks. I'm honestly don't understand why we have to go through this same drill everyday around here.

If you disagree with a person and have nothing rasonable to say, then ignore them.

Who's saying that? Ajdos, to whom I replied. He has done it every single event this winter, sometimes hes right, sometimes hes wrong. As for a "big" storm, weve had a 6" storm, and the potential for this event being 6"+ here seemed minimal at best, its potential this far north was mostly a nice several inch snow. (The potential for Jan 25-26 is another story).

He said this winter was a "disaster" because there hasn't been a big storm? I must have missed that.

The problem is not all on this board are satisfied with just persistent snowcover and nickel and dime events. Being one in that cohort, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a little peeved at the fact that there's been a dearth of large synoptic snowfall for more than 2 years.

Umm...there has been 1 imby, pretty much everyone in SE MI have had one (the screw areas Dec 12th were the jackpot Jan 11th). And stuck in 2007-08? Im not talking about NW trending (that was 07-08), Im talking about the models struggling until a system is sampled. The NWS discos talk about it all the time. Oh, and thanks for calling me delusional, imo delusional was thinking you wouldnt get to 30" with 4 months of snow left. Guess "delusional" is a relative term.

The last true warning criteria storm our region had was December 19, 2008 (that's a fact).

The rest were borderline (exactly 6" in exactly 8 hours) and the warning amounts were in isolated spots.

+1000!!!

Like I said, some people couldn't give a rat's arse about snocover if the winter's dry or lacking a big storm, and some people couldn't give a rat's arse about a big storm or dry weather if they have persistent snowcover. It's perfectly ok to be frustrated about the lack of a big storm or a dry winter just as it's perfectly ok to be frustrated with a winter that has awful snowcover. Different strokes for different folks. I'm honeslty don't understand why we have to go through this same drill everyday around here.

If you disagree with a person and have nothing rasonable to say, then ignore them.

personally i'd take a 12"er followed by 65-70 followed by a 12"er followed by 65-70 etc. Snowpack is boring.

Hey, I'm not immune from it either (from the pessimistic side of spectrum more often), as you've pointed out. It's something inherent among weenies. Don't go interpret that post as a personal attack.

he got room in that club? Nickles and dimes here...mostly nickles. Finally have a quarter in our sights but it's looking a bit tenuous. One thing about winters like this around here. If we continue to get nickled and dimed thru feb, i bet we dont escape the season without another march/april blockbuster. CMH loves those late winter/early spring big ones. :arrowhead:

The last true warning criteria storm our region had was December 19, 2008 (that's a fact).

The rest were borderline (exactly 6" in exactly 8 hours) and the warning amounts were in isolated spots.

You're as bad as the mid atlantic weenies. Face it, Detroit just doesn't get giant snowstorms on a regular basis.

personally i'd take a 12"er followed by 65-70 followed by a 12"er followed by 65-70 etc. Snowpack is boring.

I agree. Areas in the NE that got nothing last year ( NYC and northward) are getting it this year. Two storms have dropped 40-50inches in western Mass and around 35 in the NYC area. Sure they warm up quickly and the snow melts but the same thing happens here, just to a lesser extent. I'll take big storms over snowcover. Sooner rather than later I hope we get out of this pattern.

Archived