Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE obs and discussion/banter

AmyB

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I figured as much. John (Wow) said they would add it soon.

Glad to see you on the board.

What do you think of Friday?

To be honest, I stay away from anything past day five. I tend to not get excited until the event is 72 hours out, and even then I'm pessimistic since when I look out my window I see ocean, err Long Island Sound. I know that's a bit of a cop out as a met, but at days six, seven, and beyond, there is just so much than can transpire that grossly affects sensible weather (especially when you live in the battleground between rain and snow!) that it's often not worth looking. Don't forget when you're beyond even a few days, we're talking about vort maxes and other atmospheric features that are over oceans or other countries where we have very little data and ability to assimilate into an NWP model.

To be honest, I stay away from anything past day five. I tend to not get excited until the event is 72 hours out, and even then I'm pessimistic since when I look out my window I see ocean, err Long Island Sound. I know that's a bit of a cop out as a met, but at days six, seven, and beyond, there is just so much than can transpire that grossly affects sensible weather (especially when you live in the battleground between rain and snow!) that it's often not worth looking. Don't forget when you're beyond even a few days, we're talking about vort maxes and other atmospheric features that are over oceans or other countries where we have very little data and ability to assimilate into an NWP model.

Funny, when I see storm threats depicted in the 6-10 day outlook I tend to tune the skis and check provisions.lol

So, 2-4", right?

Good points. Some revcurving typhoon at day 20 will save us... or the Sun reflecting off the Katchamka Mtns will doom us...

Funny, when I see storm threats depicted in the 6-10 day outlook I tend to tune the skis and check provisions.lol

Well we live in vastly different environments. Even during bad storms we still have power/water/sewer/phone/cable, roads and interstates that are mostly clear of snow, and a reliable rail system. A storm at D+6 or D+7 is a long ways away. I don't bite on storms that far out. Especially given model propensity to overdo things. I'd throw in the cloud symbol with some rain drops or snow flakes if I were a TV met, but wouldn't go all in just yet.

I just start hyping ..and kick the hydraulics into pimp style on the bus

LOL, Glad the fun can continue basically without missing a beat. I was really shocked and saddened yesterday as I thought all my weather freak friends were lost in the ether. Once the hammer drops the snow will stay. There's still snow along the sides of the road here tonight. a testament to how weak the sun is at this time of year. Today was nice and I had fun golfing but it's over Johnny, It's over.

Well we live in vastly different environments. Even during bad storms we still have power/water/sewer/phone/cable, roads and interstates that are mostly clear of snow, and a reliable rail system. A storm at D+6 or D+7 is a long ways away. I don't bite on storms that far out. Especially given model propensity to overdo things. I'd throw in the cloud symbol with some rain drops or snow flakes if I were a TV met, but wouldn't go all in just yet.

We're going to get BURIED!!!! Yeeee Haaaaaa!!!!!!

LOL, Glad the fun can continue basically without missing a beat. I was really shocked and saddened yesterday as I thought all my weather freak friends were lost in the ether. Once the hammer drops the snow will stay. There's still snow along the sides of the road here tonight. a testament to how weak the sun is at this time of year. Today was nice and I had fun golfing but it's over Johnny, It's over.

And so it begins for your snowpack that will surely last until nearly Memorial Day. Can't believe anyone has snow on the ground in SNE after today and yesterday. I actually had the AC on in my car the last couple of days.

<br />Well we live in vastly different environments. Even during bad storms we still have power/water/sewer/phone/cable, roads and interstates that are mostly clear of snow, and a reliable rail system. A storm at D+6 or D+7 is a long ways away. I don't bite on storms that far out. Especially given model propensity to overdo things. I'd throw in the cloud symbol with some rain drops or snow flakes if I were a TV met, but wouldn't go all in just yet.<br />

Boring, but I seem to remember an Ice storm that brought your area to it's knees. Also when your systems do fail most of you are totally unprepared.

And so it begins for your snowpack that will surely last until nearly Memorial Day. Can't believe anyone has snow on the ground in SNE after today and yesterday. I actually had the AC on in my car the last couple of days.

There's still snow lurking on the north facing slopes behind the house and , of course where the plows piled it. It's not a lot but it's cool to see it holding on waiting to be refreshed. As soon as we get some real accumulations it'll be around for months. Typically in March I can dig down and find the snow that falls in late November/early December.

That's fascinating about the wolf. :devilsmiley: A few years ago a wolf was shot in the central Adirondacks. The authorities said they figured it was a lone err wolf who had wandered over from Ontario via the thousand Islands. They shot down the idea that a pack of them could actually have repopulated the Dacks. Plenty of them as close as the Algonquin Park area north of Lake Ontario and the Laurentians north of the St. Lawrence so one day they will make more inroads back here maybe. I loved hearing that majestic wolf howl when I used to camp in the Laurentians..puts the coyote whimpery howls to shame. HAH it was a bit eeiry to be in a tent and hear that, but they generally don't tussle with humans I guess.

ke' timestamp='1289694987' post='5611']

Indeed they did. The first wolf in Massachusetts in 100 years. lol It was at a sheep farm 1/2 mile up the road. It had been poaching their sheep. They figured it was coyote or coy-dog and took it out. Oops.

And that probably makes my list of favorite all-time movies.

Archived