EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 11-12 Snowstorm Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh..the city of Woburn really has bad luck with these blizzards. Another tragedy...my little cousin's friend (18 years old) was killed in a car accident on 93S in Windham, NH around 5 tonight. Just passed away about an hour ago. Awful news again.

On an upbeat note...downstream radar looks excellent!

Holy crap, sorry to hear that. Awful news :(

Forget the RUC at this time frame (beyond 6 hours). It has a tendency to plow the low into eastern MA. Not gonna happen....period end of report.

I'm watching the HRRR as others have said its been good. It's giving itself a tug job to the east it seems....it's slowly folding temps down over by me at 8h..now the 8 hour 3z panel shows an elongated 8h low versus a tight low over LI at 0z.

scott could you tell me where the mid level low is currently.

is this thing very close to pivoting or is this something you think will happen in a better spot for E SNE or WSNE? mucho appreciated

Well the mid level lows that you are thinking of, are still in PA. However, they are about the redevelop east. Your area still look fine. It's possible there might be two jackpots. One perhaps in ern CT and adjacent MA and RI due to the incredible WAA precip bomb moving up, and the other perhaps further west near CT valley or western CT/MA. It might not work out like that, but I could envision something like that happening.

Here's a shot of H7 and vv's. NAM is similar. You can see the massive warm air advection bomb coming into ern areas, and then the other area of lift, due to mid level frontogenesis and deformation.

post-33-0-24362200-1294809523.gif

Ugh..the city of Woburn really has bad luck with these blizzards. Another tragedy...my little cousin's friend (18 years old) was killed in a car accident on 93S in Windham, NH around 5 tonight. Just passed away about an hour ago. Awful news again.

On an upbeat note...downstream radar looks excellent!

Jeez that's awful. Sorry to hear that.

30 minutes ago, nothing.

. . . Now, ripping like you wouldn't believe. Already 1/4", and it's falling so hard that you can hear the snow falling - not like wet snow, but fast and hard, especially when it's quiet in the wods. Not easy to explain, but some may get what I'm saying.

Pretty cool. Rare occasion, at least in my experiences.

I'd love the MM5 to verify. Heck, the NAM (0z) would be sweet. Crazy Uncle I'm not so sure. GGEM/RGEM...bring em. I'll be happy with GFS. I'm equal oppty tonight.

The UKIE seems useful at 500 for some general lean this way lean that way stuff, sucks donkeys with low placement etc.

I should be ripping here in a few, better hurry up I'm at 34 already!

30 minutes ago, nothing.

. . . Now, ripping like you wouldn't believe. Already 1/4", and it's falling so hard that you can hear the snow falling - not like wet snow, but fast and hard, especially when it's quiet in the wods. Not easy to explain, but some may get what I'm saying.

I love that...when its just coming down so hard you can hear it hitting everything.

Yeah, from what I understand, Willimantic can be a snow hole at times. Over here on the northern part of brooklyn at the Pomfret line we get some good one's here.

I live in Chicopee, MA - but work in Willimantic... Chicopee is a snow hole at times too - and there's more open space, that's where I've heard what you're talkin' about.....but you can get 2" in Willi - and go up to Storrs and see 3 or 4 inches pretty routinely...

Archived