amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 9th-11th Winter Storm Obs Thread

Powerball

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wussification. Granted, central Indiana road crews seem incapable of clearing snow adequately, but still...["old" person's rant]it took 8"+ to cancel school when I was a kid. ["old" person's rant/]

Even that wasn't enough when I was going to school 10 years ago. And it's not like Toronto averages 200" or something. Board of Ed officials here were just pricks about it.

Even that wasn't enough when I was going to school 10 years ago. And it's not like Toronto averages 200" or something. Board of Ed officials here were just pricks about it.

They used to be here in my son's school district, until someone got in an accident.

The explanation for the reason that the High and Middle schoolers are getting out early is so that the buses have enough time to get them home, before the elementary schools get out. Which I do agree with.

MKE concerned that the main LES band may come onshore later...

THE 1000/850MB WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BACK TO NORTH NORTHEAST AT

00Z WEDNESDAY...THEN SLOWLY BACK DUE NORTH BY 06Z WEDNESDAY BEFORE

SHIFTING NORTHWEST BY 12Z WEDNESDAY. HIGH RESOLUTION RAPID REFRESH

AND LOCAL WRF WITH GFS BOUNDARY CONDITIONS BOTH INDICATING A

SINGLE LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND DEVELOPING AND MOVING SOUTHWEST TO

NEAR OR ON THE SHORE BETWEEN 22Z TUESDAY AND 02Z WEDNESDAY. IF

THIS DOES MOVE ONSHORE...A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING MAY BE NEEDED

AS AMOUNTS COULD GO OVER 6 INCHES DURING THE EVENING RUSH HOUR

PERIOD. WILL KEEP AN EYE ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS FEATURE

THROUGH THE AFTERNOON.

According to a Facebook update from him, he's saying some areas in Lake/Cook counties may recieve 6-10".

Models are showing a thermodynamic setup similar to that event last month that dumped around 10" on the west side of the lake. The difference this time is that it will be shifting into Indiana.

:wub:

Deep moisture, sufficient but not really impressive delta T, lack of a sharp inversion (although probably stable enough to keep vertical growth in check), little shear...there were 4" per hour rates with that event which is a high bar for west side events, but there could be a surprise if it's less transitory than expected.

Deep moisture, sufficient but not really impressive delta T, lack of a sharp inversion (although probably stable enough to keep vertical growth in check), little shear...there were 4" per hour rates with that event which is a high bar for west side events, but there could be a surprise if it's less transitory than expected.

I drove through one of those in Buffalo Grove heading home, pretty good stuff. I don't think we see anything quite like that, but an additional couple inches puts me into 6+ territory.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

201 PM EST TUE JAN 11 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0200 PM SNOW 2 NW WEST LAFAYETTE 40.47N 86.94W

01/11/2011 M3.5 INCH TIPPECANOE IN BROADCAST MEDIA

FROM WLFI METEOROLOGIST

steady pixie dust continues....

son's bball game cancelled...so I don't have to fight the traffic too, woohoo!

still thinking 3-4 should nail it here.

I like 3-4 for today, but then another inch possible overnight through tomorrow afternoon. So when all said and done 4-5 inches which falls in my original 4-6 range.

Archived