joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 9th-11th Winter Storm Obs Thread

Powerball

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models were apparently a bit too dry.

90% mid-level humdiity values are getting up into Michigan (which wasn't forecasted by any model). That probably explains why the air seems to be saturating a bit quicker than forecasted.

Yea currently 90 % here and only 70-80 further south and west. Seems like the humidities are higher further east. Hopoefully a fun day after a month hiatus here in Michigan.

There is a large hole over east-central Iowa where only 1.5-2.0 inches has fallen. Snow has moved back in from the east on radar, but it is extremely light. It would take several hours just to get another half inch. Central to southeast Iowa got their snow, but it's a definite disappointment around here.

Yeah this system is pretty lame for our areas. Models had the screw zone from eastern Iowa into northwest Illinois pegged 3 days ago. I was hoping we'd get lucky and make it up to 3", but I don't see that happening.

yesterday's 18z NAM FTW?

Visibility down near or .25 or so with 25 dbz returns and fog.

Yeah, I don't know. :lol:

Steady as she goes here, have to be over 2" now. Curious to see what LAF has, as the visibilities have been 0.5mi (a couple 0.2mi obs too) or lower for the past hour and a half. Probably another premature bust call by me. :arrowhead:

Steady as she goes here, have to be over 2" now. Curious to see what LAF has, as the visibilities have been 0.5mi (a couple 0.2mi obs too) or lower for the past hour and a half. Probably another premature bust call by me. :arrowhead:

Nice, I'd have to go outside to get an estimate, but going by visiblity alone, i imagine we're over 2" as well with a nice 20-25dbz lake enhanced band overhead.

I'm glad things have turned around vs. a couple of hours ago. Puts me at ease.

Archived