amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many snow mongers on this site....ohh ohhh look at the wetter NAM, ohh weee....

Forget looking at the models people, are there any true meteorologists left out there? This is not the Boxing Day blizzard, not even close! The southern stream and northern stream never phased, the southern stream popped its cork yesterday while the northern stream energy is 2 days behind. So we are left with the classic northern stream inland low that jumps to the coast with some kind of occluded front draped east to west across PA. Rapid deepening happens too late for most of the region and too far to the north, most of PA is gonna get dry slotted after 0.2" to 0.3" of precip falls. My guess is 2-4" for most of eastern PA, maybe 3-6" in the eastern Poconos, 4-8" in Jersey, 6-10" on Long Island and 10-20" in eastern MA and RI.

Whether or not the GFS is correct is another debatable point but it has been very steady with precip production here in eastern PA with 0.30" - 0.40" for several runs in a row...

Of course now that I have said this there will be 2 feet of snow in my driveway in the morning...haha

Boy, are you going to bust here big time my friend. South Jersey yes, maybe 4-8, but central and north Jersey will see at least 6-12 inches with possibly more in some NE sections. Long Island will probably see 12-18 inches. The phase WILL occur off the Jersey coast too btw.

OF COURSE EVEN LEANING IN

THAT DIRECTION DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEIR PCPN PROCESSES (QPF) WILL

COME TO FRUITION.

Exactly....hug the high QPF amounts from the Hi-Res models at your own peril; as they typically have a pretty strong bias/less skill (especially the NMM) for high-threshold amounts (i.e. greater than .5 inch/24 hours). The hi-res models can help clue in on mesoscale features, convection, banding, etc....but they tend to be quite a bit overdone when it comes to QPF totals.

I think I posted some verification yesterday in the Mid-Atlantic thread.

Exactly....hug the high QPF amounts from the Hi-Res models at your own peril; as they typically have a pretty strong bias/less skill (especially the NMM) for high-threshold amounts (i.e. greater than .5 inch/24 hours). The hi-res models can help clue in on mesoscale features, convection, banding, etc....but they tend to be quite a bit overdone when it comes to QPF totals.

I think I posted some verification yesterday in the Mid-Atlantic thread.

FWIW, the HiRes Window (WRF, both ARW and especially NMM) models have a more significant high bias for moderate to high threshold amounts (anything over .5 in/24 hours) and are much less skillful than either the NAM or GFS in the short range.

Here is 24 hour verification for December over east conus....red/blue are the hires wrf where green and purple are nam and gfs.

hiresw_east.201012.gif

Little baby flurries started here in Chester County....darker clouds moving in from the West. I'll be more then satisfied to get 5", which seems to be the general consensus right now. Although I do like that little "finger" that everyone keeps pointing out, would love to get a surprise extra like 3" that wasn't originally forecast, but I'm not counting on it.

FWIW, from Henry Margusity on FB: I think the latest WRF has picked up on the stronger Ohio Valley Storm. Implications, the coastal gets shoved east and develops late in the game for NJ and NYC. Still a big storm for New England.

When Henry Margusity gives up, you know you're in trouble...

I think its very telling, QPF-wise, that at the last minute the EC went toward the GFS, and then at the last second the NAM followed... We'll know soon enough.

I think that the models have always shown the snow in the precip shield over PA. Most of PA gets its snow from the OH low and once the energy transfers to the coastal most of PA is finished for this storm. I don't really think it is enhanced at all. I think you will be amazed how fast the OH snow falls apart. If it gets all the way to SE PA before breaking up then there would have been a problem with phasing.

Light Snow falling here in West Chester, PA - seems to be right on schedule if you ask me...reading on here you would think the storm went to the north pole

Ain't that the truth. We're still what, 8-10 hours away, from what is supposed to be the worst of the storm.

THE BANTER THREAD IS FOR B.ITCHING. PLZ TAKE IT THERE.

i dont see what is wrong? a decent light snow has begun here in West Chester, PA (which is a western part of the area too) and its right on schedule, btwn 3-6pm. Whats with all the cliff diving, 4-8" is not hard to come by....4-5 hrs of moderate snowfall and you can bang that out easy. Take a chill people,

precip shield filling nicely in western MD. I think everyone needs to unwad there shorts and breath a little. Nice steady light snow here in Lancaster and from the readings of some of the AFD's it seems like things have trended west and the hi res models are outpreforming the globals. Lets watch how it plays out and enjoy every flake.

Nut

Western Virginia looks like it is blowing up with snow more than the coast.. To me it looks like this low transfer is going to happen way too late for most of PHL and Trenton on south. Maybe even all of NJ also. Am I way off base by saying that?

D

I don't think so, that's definitely a possibility.

4 is still in range for much of NJ... but its looking like its gonna be hard for most places to approach 8... even near NYC. Still time though. 18Z GFS and NAM are pretty close...

Archived