Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't post much, but I read ALL THE TIME in an effort to educate myself. Truth be told, I wish these threads were split all of the time. Also, I wish everyone had to list their location so that we knew where people meant when they say things like "Looks like I'm in the jackpot" or "This sucks for my area." Just saying.

I stated yesterday (on FB) that I'm going with 3-6" in the LV with more east in Jersey, of course. That being said, I can easily see how the LV gets 1-2". The models like to push these coastal storms slightly east within 48 hours the past few years and that happened with the GFS and ECMWF along with most short range models with the Boxing day blizzard. I think Am has the right idea with what he's been saying.

Just my 2 cents

The latest Wxsim continues to look excellent for yet another nice storm in the NW Philly burbs. Through today we are 38% above normal snow to date and this looks to increase by Wed AM. I have a strong suspicion I will need to increase these amounts north and west of Philly a little later today but for now.

Wxsim module has light snow beginning around 3:30pm tomorrow afternoon; Moderate Snow from 830p to 11pm then Heavy Snow till 1am...snow will taper to flurries by 6am. Total Snowfall across the area 3" to 5"

Paul

www.chescowx.com

Interesting OBS point from Joe Bastardi this morning....something to watch for a shift to the west and some mixing issues for Jersey Shore and Long Island.

"The models have the storm passing east of Saint Simon Islands, but winds are turning into the southeast. Hatteras is obviously not in the game yet, but will be tomorrow and a track near or inside hatteras will mean the coastal low will deepen up further west. That would mean greater low level convergence intersecting with the upper divergence and a rapid ramp up of snow rates later tomorrow and tomorrow night, along with more snow further west, and the chance of the change to rain in the coastal areas that got pounded with the blizzard"

Looks like the NAM wants to go east of 0z and west of 6z going by hour 42.

Still a nice explosion of QPF across Eastern PA and NJ...the NAM looks pretty good to this point for NJ...and should cut down on the mix issue somewhat along parts of the SNJ coast.

Well, Places like Philly east and north will fare well. It's just the typical "areas" north and west of the city they are referring too.

We're (and I'm N & W) not getting bullseye snows but several inches is still a rather good event in a Nina winter.

I can't view any models on my ipad (I don't even use a computer anymore really). Do any of the models suggest that any banding will not make it past the delaware river? They didn't specify which in their AFD.

This is what Mt. Holly had in their 8:15 a.m. AFD RE: banding...

"THE BEST BANDING

POTENTIAL APPEARS AS THOUGH IT WILL FORM FROM JUST WEST OF THE

PARKWAY ON NEW JERSEY TO JUST EAST OF I-95. HOWEVER...SINCE SOME OF

THE DETAILS OF THE TRACKS OF THE SURFACE AND LOW LEVEL CIRCULATIONS

ARE STILL SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN...THIS AREA COULD SLIDE EAST OR WEST."

We're (and I'm N & W) not getting bullseye snows but several inches is still a rather good event in a Nina winter.

Exactly. I think we can't be too greedy these days. I expected less than a few days with snow on the ground the entire winter. There has been snow (while small amounts) on the ground on and off since Christmas. Honestly, if we have 8 inches of snow by Wednesday on the ground, its not a whole of heck of alot different to me, then say 14 inches.

Snow is snow. Be happy we are getting another dose. :)

12Z Nam better than 6z QPFwise, a little less than 00z. All in all, a nice shot of snow Tuesday night.

NAM gives 2.0+ qpf to central and eastern LI .

BULLSEYE!!!

edit: real tight gradient. looks like nam says band forms rite down the gsp and to the NE. CPK looks like 1.0+ qpf and you can double that as you head east on LI. eastern LI might have mixing issues but this thing looks to collapse real fast and bomb out.

Yeah, a few hours of sleet or rain could result in 6-8 inches of less snow across the eastern half of Long Island. I saw that many times growing up.....its going to be a close call out there.

That's why part of me is happy with a 100% chance of an all (light to moderate) snow storm here in eastern PA. :snowman:

Don't understand why the nam's off sounding runs go so dry or better questioned why are the off sounding run tracks farther offshore. Wet/drier/wetter/drier/wetter again. Sref trend is slightly drier.

BTW Thank-you for splitting the threads via wfo(s) lines.

Yeah, the NAM is very unstable right now, so that's why I'm weighting it less. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me right now.

I figured if I put the WFOs in the subtitle we'd get far fewer questions about where to post :)

Don't understand why the nam's off sounding runs go so dry or better questioned why are the off sounding run tracks farther offshore. Wet/drier/wetter/drier/wetter again. Sref trend is slightly drier.

BTW Thank-you for splitting the threads via wfo(s) lines.

Forecasting the banding must be extremely hard this far out. The 12/26 storm was a good example , I live on the Trenton Hamilton border and Ray's(famartin) parents live in Ewing, during that storm Ray received around 10"+ or-, while I had around 14, the 2 locations are about 5 miles apart as the crow flies. This was also evident in the Feb storm last year. The difference was being in the banding or just out of it.

Archived