Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth JB is monitoring the low development and thinks it will be west of model consensus at this point. Indicated he will be tracking obs regarding winds along SE coast for tracking low position and differences to models.

If it did, I would expect it to eventually be more in line with the GFS/Euro/NAM. This time the models ate holding steady close out - maybe a bit more west movement coming.

Temps are supposed to be in the mid-upper 20s throughout the event here so they should be closer to 12:1-13:1.

Surface temps have no bearing on snow ratios ! might help with the stick factor..

Look at 850mb down to 700 in the snow growth region. Thats the ratio layer..

Surface temps have no bearing on snow ratios ! might help with the stick factor..

Look at 850mb down to 700 in the snow growth region. Thats the ratio layer..

I would have to respectfully disagree. Boundary layer temps are definitely important. When I forecast snow amounts, and thus ratios, I need to look at the entire sounding structure, not just the snow growth zone. Temperatures are not the only factor I would look at though. The storm will be pulling off moisture from the Atlantic... more water content in the clouds means lower ratios. Even winds play a role in determining ratios as they can cause the flakes to break apart.

That's why it is so difficult trying to predict ratios, because there is so much to take into account.

this just quoted over in NY thread.........

The 12Z WRF-ARW is an incredibly massive hit. Through 48 hrs it has 1+qpf for basically the bottom 2/3 of NJ, extreme SE PA / Philly area, NYC, and Western Long Island, and .75 qpf for the rest of Northern NJ, and it is still snowing. Looks like a 986 mb about 40 miles east of Asbury Park. Looks like it also has 1.5 qpf along coastal NJ and a max qpf off Atlantic City of 2.16. And keep in mind it is still snowing HARD!!

Archived