Newest Member
    Toothache
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(crossposted)

What's a ballpark timeframe for this event in the PHL region?

I have a rehearsal scheduled for 8 PM tomorrow night in Gloucester County NJ. It will probably run until at least midnight. Should I preemptively put the kibosh on it?

PHL will likely start around 6-7pm and end around 12-1pm Wednesday

looks a good deal west to me..through 39.

43, two countor closed h5 low...

42, good hit philluy, burbs and jersey...

45, storm exploded with uvv's heavy heavy precip just south of LI.. low down to 100mb., mod-heavy precip up to nyc /li...

light to mod snow in philly and back towards scranton...

Forecasting the banding must be extremely hard this far out. The 12/26 storm was a good example , I live on the Trenton Hamilton border and Ray's(famartin) parents live in Ewing, during that storm Ray received around 10"+ or-, while I had around 14, the 2 locations are about 5 miles apart as the crow flies. This was also evident in the Feb storm last year. The difference was being in the banding or just out of it.

Too true. Im in bordentown we got nearly 16-17. Ewing cant be more than 10 miles to my northeast. Is it me or does it feel like the gradient always sets up shop right through TTN?

We're splitting them up again, guys, because it looks like we're going to get less and have a lower chance of getting jackpotted than NYC.

Its okay with me but could you please include KDOV when giving qpf"s?

I am only asking because Mid Atlantic says i am PHL Metro and i see you giving ILG and Salisbury MD though i am smack dab in the middle of both stations the weather differences are notable.

(Saturdays little taster we received 4" ILG trace to .2 Salisbury coating)

There was also a difference on 12/26 had 9" here more South and New castle hardly anything.

I would appreciate your kind consideration about this request.

Thanking you in advance.

This still looks like a very nice snow event for the NW Philly burbs....the higher ratios will offset lower qpf...good warning criteria snows are likely. Still think this will trend west (unlike most storms this year) with mixing issues for NJ and Long Island. However, as is usually the case this will end much earlier than some are currently thinking. Just flurries/lt snow after 7am on Wed morning.

Paul

www.chescowx.com

gfs_p36_054s.gif

through 54... good run

This still looks like a very nice snow event for the NW Philly burbs....the higher ratios will offset lower qpf...good warning criteria snows are likely. Still think this will trend west (unlike most storms this year) with mixing issues for NJ and Long Island. However, as is usually the case this will end much earlier than some are currently thinking. Just flurries/lt snow after 7am on Wed morning.

Paul

www.chescowx.com

Paul I think ratios really will save us in the NW as well, if we can get ..35-.4 qpf I think we'll all see 6" and meet the WSW criteria up our way

No doubt...I think that is what the NWS is thinking with the watch in the NW burbs...will be interesting watching the 0z runs tonight...I have a sneaky suspicion that the qpf will go up a bit on the GFS at that time and down a bit on NAM and we will have a good consensus on a 4 to 6" event.

Take care

Paul

Paul I think ratios really will save us in the NW as well, if we can get ..35-.4 qpf I think we'll all see 6" and meet the WSW criteria up our way

Really other than the NAM (up til 00z Mon) and older Euro runs, eastern PA was never shown to get more than 6" by any other models. Take the newest Euro, NAM trends, a steady GFS and what the GEM shows and you are looking at 3-6" for Eastern PA, maybe some isolated 8 or 9 inch totals closer to the Delaware River if things work out just right.

For ILG and PHL there seems to be a consensus developing (outside the NAM) for qpf to max out at no more than .50" but I'm thinking .40" is more likely. If we can squeeze out decent ratios we're probably headed for a 5-7" event. I'll take it. Probably good enough to close all schools Wednesday but those of us with jobs will most likely have to make our way in unfortunately.

I'm hoping for a last minute reverse 12/26 trend here in that things shift west 50-75 miles instead of east. I think that is probably a pipedream though and that in all likelihood there probably be a more east shift last minute. Generally the last 12 hrs of model runs have shifted everything east.

Looks like the GEM is showing less than 0.05" before 0z Wednesday.

Then 0.20"-0.30" between 0z-12z Wednesday for eastern PA. Southern Jersey gets 0.40"-0.60" between 0z-12z Wednesday.

I doubt much falls after 12z Wednesday.

Totals would be 0.25-0.35" eastern PA and 0.45-0.65" for southern NJ.......ok maybe another 0.10" after 12z Wednesday if you want to be generous.

Still that looks like 3-6" for eastern PA and a 6-10" southern Jersey.

For ILG and PHL there seems to be a consensus developing (outside the NAM) for qpf to max out at no more than .50" but I'm thinking .40" is more likely. If we can squeeze out decent ratios we're probably headed for a 5-7" event. I'll take it. Probably good enough to close all schools Wednesday but those of us with jobs will most likely have to make our way in unfortunately.

I'm hoping for a last minute reverse 12/26 trend here in that things shift west 50-75 miles instead of east. I think that is probably a pipedream though and that in all likelihood there probably be a more east shift last minute. Generally the last 12 hrs of model runs have shifted everything east.

Although the particular way the models have progged the snow to fall over New Castle County has differed from model to model and run to run, the accumulating snowfall has been fairly consistent for 3-6" with maybe as little as 2" and as much as 8-10" (NAM). I'm going with 4-6" given the 0Z Euro, 12Z GFS, 12Z NAM and historical model runs. If the low deepens earlier than predicted by the models, we could over that amount.

Archived