• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 10th-12th OV/MW/GL Winter Storm prospects

Harry

I guess you missed the "Ohio Posters Suck" thread back at the beginning of December?

I defended dilly because he didn't do anything that warranted a 5-post ban. I was also mad because the originator of the "Ohio Posters Suck" thread which WAS grounds for a 5-post ban never even got so much as a warning.

If you want, go chime in about this in the off topic thread I made about this subject. Maybe the mods from the east will pay attention.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it all depends on what is considered the "midwest" on this forum. to me, it is NE, IA, KS, MO.

Nebraska is kinda in the dead zone since they are in the middle of everything it seems. I was thinking perhaps there could be a generic ND/SD/NE thread to along with the other regional sub-threads (for instance, like the OH thread or the MO/KS/ARK thread). There you could discuss the storm as it happens with other regional members while coming to the main storm thread to discuss the overall storm.

Nebraska is kinda in the dead zone since they are in the middle of everything it seems. I was thinking perhaps there could be a generic ND/SD/NE thread to along with the other regional sub-threads (for instance, like the OH thread or the MO/KS/ARK thread). There you could discuss the storm as it happens with other regional members while coming to the main storm thread to discuss the overall storm.

Seems reasonable to me...

How about a main storm thread and then a few threads about obs and current conditions. Each storm is different so the obs thread regions will change.

The main storm thread will be more for the meteorological aspects of the storm and the obs thread will be local storm reports and IMBY type stuff and some light banter. Yes there will be some overlap . Please don't use the east coast NYC/Philly split failure as an example. We are much more organized then they are

perhaps in this case and obs thread for MN/KS/NE/SD one for MO/IA/IL/WI/IN and one for MI/OH/ON

also a poster in OH doesn't really care if it starts snowing in IA but that will be posted in the clogged superthread

How about a main storm thread and then a few threads about obs and current conditions. Each storm is different so the obs thread regions will change.

The main storm thread will be more for the meteorological aspects of the storm and the obs thread will be local storm reports and IMBY type stuff. Yes there will be some overlap . Pleae don't use the east coast NYC/Philly split failure as an example. We are much more organized then they are

perhaps in this case and obs thread for MN/KS/NE/SD one for MO/IA/IL/WI/IN and one for MI/OH/ON

I think that is a good idea.

As for the split failure--well it was an epic disaster haha. I post over there a lot during potential Noreaster events, and the split made it crappy because a lot of good posters were split apart from one another. So, for instance, Earthlight's analysis would only be in NYC storm section but not the Philly one. The threads went dead since there wasn't nearly as much discussion overall. For obs, a split is a great idea and gives other regions a chance to not only post obs but talk with others in their region about the storm. For a storm threat overall (discussion), a split into separate regions is a big mistake.

The main storm thread will be more for the meteorological aspects of the storm and the obs thread will be local storm reports and IMBY type stuff and some light banter. Yes there will be some overlap . Please don't use the east coast NYC/Philly split failure as an example. We are much more organized then they are

also a poster in OH doesn't really care if it starts snowing in IA but that will be posted in the clogged superthread

I would say MN/ND/SD/IA/WI, MO/KS/NE/ARK, and MI/OH/IL/IN.

Personally I think those regions would match up better...just my opinion.

I would say MN/ND/SD/IA/WI, MO/KS/NE/ARK, and MI/OH/IL/IN.

Personally I think those regions would match up better...just my opinion.

well each storm is different and if, for example, a southern system is going to clip IA and WI and miss MN/ND/SD, then IA and WI would be lumped into another group

perhaps we should start a new thread to discuss this so other members can give their opinion...This system would be a good test becuase it covers a wide area.

i don't have time to start a thread already running late........

So our local met on his blog is going 1-8 inches. LOL. Hope the trend south continues!

haha, that's fantastic. He has all his bases covered. But not as bad as the local TV guy here who forecasted, back on Dec 31, that we'd be in the mid to upper 40's for this past week with a rainstorm for Friday. :arrowhead:

Are you serious? That is pathetic, lol. Unless he is covering the entire state in one forecast.

This is what was actually said:

So that is how the models see it right now. If I wanted to put out a forecast for the VIEWING area based on these models right now...I would likely say 1-8" :) Which is crazy to even say. That is because the southern first piece will give our southern counties a band of 1-2" later tonight/Monday. The upper low (2nd piece) would give our northern counties several inches. If you are in between the two, maybe 1".

In other words, this is going to be a very tough forecast folks. We are sandwiched in between two storms so totals are going to HIGHLY vary. On top of that, snow ratios will be different for both systems.

So for me, I plan to stay with 1-4" for the viewing area as I don't want to react to the models "shift" just yet. I want to see the 18z runs to see if that trend holds. If it does, I will up my totals this evening. We just cannot react to every model run. The point is to TREND them.

Archived