joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First guess thru final call D.C. area

Ian

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds about right. I think the OTS scenario is becoming less valid (as is the silly GGEM bomb scenario). The GFS jumped pretty solidly west, even if the precip maps are still a little wimpy.

i should wait to the euro but im too tired.. i guess ill hope it sucks. :P

I just watched the weather on NBC and they mentioned rain/snow mix... I'm thinking, really? I know apparently there is some hint on the NAM of an iffy track, but in this type of pattern the rain/snow mix call seems seriously out to lunch. Wintry mix is always possible around this area, but rain? Am I missing something here?

1st call

25% OTS or near miss with <1"

60% 1-4"

15% 4"+

i've been going 2-4" deterministic and will hold as most likely in the snow solution but i am tempted to back off to 1-3".

however, models now currently support ~2-4" so im not sure how i can back off right now. if scaled... i'd say 1-3 west and 2-4 east (all dc metro area). confidence is rather low still. we need a few things to go right to get into range but i don't feel hope is lost and most things are progressing as planned or close. most of the snow should come as front end. even with mid levels not good for a big storm they should not keep us from getting snow entirely.

final call tomorrow night or early mon depending on how lucky i feel

I just watched the weather on NBC and they mentioned rain/snow mix... I'm thinking, really? I know apparently there is some hint on the NAM of an iffy track, but in this type of pattern the rain/snow mix call seems seriously out to lunch. Wintry mix is always possible around this area, but rain? Am I missing something here?

i think precip would shut off before we warm that much if we warm that much

1-2 inches snow sounds reasonable given the latest models and going with this season's persistence.

Someone mentioned earlier that thinking of this as an overperforming clipper makes it a lot easier to accept an inch or two on Tuesday that just manages to cover the grass.

Any snow at all is better than nothing.

I'm tempted to wait for the Euro but unless it shows nothing I'm not sure I'd shift much at this pt. I'd almost rather go down with the ship than make a last minute shift and then end up having earlier thoughts verify.

FINAL CALL

95-100% chance of snow falling

90% chance of 1"+

10% chance of < 1" of snow

All along I've been just calling for D.C. area (basically the red on this map: http://genealogenie....-matro-area.png).. I don't pretend to know enough or even care enough to do outside my immediate few counties. I'm not a map maker either. But here I'll lay it out a little more than previous.

D.C. area = 2-4" (tapering to 1-3" southwest)

What I would do here is lay out 2-4" from about central Loudon VA east to about Anne Arundel MD then down the west side of the bay. An overlay 1-3" from about the western 1/3rd of MoCo through fairfax county down toward Charles County and to the SW.

Balt area = 3-5" (some 6"+ possible northeast of Balt and east of the bay)

2-4" area probably backs right into s/sw balt with this contour mainly from Balt and northeast.

Screwed is probably easier than more for most of us except perhaps the far northeast areas. I believe the vast majority or all of the snow in the D.C. area comes from the front end of the low. I do not anticipate much if anything from wraparound or back end though we could see a little, probably only enough to top out on the higher end of the 2-4". The chance for more from the developing low that eventually pummels the northeast is why Balt area is higher.

There is a slight chance (~10%) that the low develops quicker to the south and throws back enough moisture to get D.C. area more into the Balt area range. If that happens, 6+ becomes more likely up there.

I'm tempted to wait for the Euro but unless it shows nothing I'm not sure I'd shift much at this pt. I'd almost rather go down with the ship than make a last minute shift and then end up having earlier thoughts verify.

FINAL CALL

95-100% chance of snow falling

90% chance of 1"+

10% chance of < 1" of snow

All along I've been just calling for D.C. area (basically the red on this map: http://genealogenie....-matro-area.png).. I don't pretend to know enough or even care enough to do outside my immediate few counties. I'm not a map maker either. But here I'll lay it out a little more than previous.

D.C. area = 2-4" (tapering to 1-3" southwest)

What I would do here is lay out 2-4" from about central Loudon VA east to about Anne Arundel MD then down the west side of the bay. An overlay 1-3" from about the western 1/3rd of MoCo through fairfax county down toward Charles County and to the SW.

Balt area = 3-5" (some 6"+ possible northeast of Balt and east of the bay)

2-4" area probably backs right into s/sw balt with this contour mainly from Balt and northeast.

Screwed is probably easier than more for most of us except perhaps the far northeast areas. I believe the vast majority or all of the snow in the D.C. area comes from the front end of the low. I do not anticipate much if anything from wraparound or back end though we could see a little, probably only enough to top out on the higher end of the 2-4". The chance for more from the developing low that eventually pummels the northeast is why Balt area is higher.

There is a slight chance (~10%) that the low develops quicker to the south and throws back enough moisture to get D.C. area more into the Balt area range. If that happens, 6+ becomes more likely up there.

:thumbsup:

Sorry, Phin I jinxed us...living here in Bel Air and got a snow blower for xmas...was hoping last Saturday I could use it and didn't happen...am guessing the same for this one but who knows.

Super-bullish up here, but I like it. I will buy you dinner if I get six inches.

Archived