• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

Yes, but that would mean that .01" + most of the 0.22" would fall with 850's below 0C (going by your numbers). My maps actually show close to 0.30" before the 850's reach 0.3 but that's beside the point. You had earlier said that the 850's were "well above freezing." However, they are below freezing for the first portion (say 0.20"+).

I suppose, I use the accuwx pro site for the extracted data and just added it up in 6 hrs intervals. I hate using maps, not detail enough for me, and they output late on that site.

MON 06Z 10-JAN 2.9 -1.1 1025 36 83 0.01 566 546

MON 12Z 10-JAN 1.3 0.3 1024 77 100 0.22 566 547

MON 18Z 10-JAN 4.7 1.4 1020 87 88 0.16 564 548

TUE 00Z 11-JAN 4.3 5.1 1016 93 15 0.12 564 551

TUE 06Z 11-JAN 3.3 7.4 1014 96 12 0.06 566 554

TUE 12Z 11-JAN 1.8 5.1 1016 93 17 0.01 566 553

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 0Z Fri GGEM has ~0.35" of qpf at CHS with 850's colder than 0C while there is pretty strong low level wedging/NE to NNE winds. That looks awfully close to a several inch sticking snow to me on that model run..

The GGEM is snow for almost the entire state of SC. It leaves NC pretty dry though.

Precip type map: http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

The next 6-12 hours of models runs are going to be key, because our southern stream shortwave will be making landfall across California. We should get a much better idea on how deep it is exactly... latest 06z nam is coming in a bit stronger with the shortwave initially. For most folks across the southeast, we want a stronger shortwave!

GSP still honking January 1988:

EVEN CONSIDERING THE EVENT IS STILL OVER 3 DAYS

AWAY. A QUICK LOOK AT THE ANALOGS SHOWS THAT BASED ON A STATISTICAL

FIT TO THE H3/H5 PATTERN…THE JAN 1988 SNOW EVENT IS THE TOP ANALOG

AND THAT STORM ACCUMULATED OVER A FOOT OF SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE

CWFA.

Absolutely screws RDU...I'm pulling for everyone here to see a good snow overall but this one leaves MBY and east out of the solution. I'm kinda glad that I'm not in the bullseye at this point, though. I'll need a dozen more runs to get worried.

I'm confused... this looks to be a good thump for RDU as well beyond 84 hours, if you extrapolate beyond that time.

2hdnqmw.gif

Absolutely screws RDU...I'm pulling for everyone here to see a good snow overall but this one leaves MBY and east out of the solution. I'm kinda glad that I'm not in the bullseye at this point, though. I'll need a dozen more runs to get worried.

:huh: The NAM only goes out to hr84. The qpf hasn't gotten to RDU yet. Never thought i'd see this comment from Jon. :lol: Maybe Wildremann or Brick but not Jon.

I'm confused... this looks to be a good thump for RDU as well beyond 84 hours, if you extrapolate beyond that time.

:huh: The NAM only goes out to hr84. The qpf hasn't gotten to RDU yet. Never thought i'd see this comment from Jon. :lol: Maybe Wildremann or Brick but not Jon.

Oh lord...I just realized. These must be good pain meds, got my wisdom teeth out yesterday afternoon...just woke up mid stupor and posted. NAM GOES OUT TO 84! What was I thinking? I should go back to bed, hahaha. Carry on guys and ignore my previous comment of how the NAM screws RDU. Please. :whistle:

Oh lord...I just realized. These must be good pain meds, got my wisdom teeth yesterday afternoon...just woke up mid stupor and posted. NAM GOES OUT TO 84! What was I thinking? I should go back to bed, hahaha. Carry on guys and ignore my previous comment of how the NAM screws RDU. Please. :whistle:

Haha...I know how you feel man. I got all four of my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. That medicine definitely makes you loopy. The doctor prescribed me Hydrocodon on this end. :thumbsup: My face is still swollen like a blimp though. :(

FFC just put out a Special Weather Statement. 1-2 inches possible Sun Night and Mon, isolated areas up to 3 inches. Doesn't sound like Warning criteria, maybe advisories will be issued ?

Your in the south and it is 60+ hours away...Hope it works out for you, but taking the low road for the NWS is the right thing to do. If the models hold serve. those amounts will be bumped up.

GFS appears to be wetter over this area at hr78 of this run compared to hr84 of last run.

Definitely some QPF changes as expected but overall set up between the 06z and 00z appears to be carbon copies...with exception of the L being -1mb in difference.

Archived