Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

Yes.

the GGEm didnt' look so bad to me for NC. I didnt' add it up but there was decent precip in 3 different panels here. Its just that it nailed DC to NYC again, which pales us in comparison.

If it nails the greedy (insert own verbage here) with the motherlode, then we usually get the usual 2-3" front end snow, with sleet/zr on back end, while the monster rides up the coast. :axe::yikes:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the models dont look too good any way you slice it for eastern NC

I wouldn't necessarily say that, the gfs just gave us .5 qpf of snow and ip. Most of the models have been around that for our area. That's still a pretty good storm for this area. Of course 12" of snow would be great but I'm in NC and can't really complain about any winter weather I get.

If i were in Western and Northern NC outside of the mountains I would be hoping for a Weaker High pressure and it farther North. A stronger high pressure may shunt this thing farther south and east of us. This could be why the models all day have been getting drier and drier. There will be winners and loser as with every storm. I would not be surprised at all if the radar was green for most of the day monday and us in NW NC having a raging virga storm. To me this looks like a SW NC , Cen S NC. , C SC. W SC , C GA W GA special .Snowman.gif

Due to a reversal of the trends to colder today (0Z FRI NAM/GFS/GGEM all colder than 12Z THU runs) with stronger wedging of the surface high, slightly further south low track, and colder 850's, CHS-SAV and nearby areas are now very close again to the wintry precip. line. The lowest TD's are now all the way down to +5/+7 at CHS/SAV per the 0Z gfs on Sunday. The 0Z NAM/GFS/GGEM all appear to give CHS S at the start while the GFS appears to give SAV S at the beginning. Also, these models suggest a change to an IP/ZR mix afterward with stronger wedging in place before changing to plain rain. It will be interesting to see what the 0Z Euro shows as well as whether or not this colder trend will continue tomorrow at 6Z/12Z. If so, we could very well be looking at a very rare setup here along the SE coast in/near the CHS/SAV corridor come Sun night/Mon moring. One key is whether or not the sfc winds will have enough of a northerly component to avoid a trajectory over the warmer ocean. A wind that is, say, from a 40 degree trajectory, would largely do just that. However, winds that are, say, from a 50 degree trajectory would probably bring in some marine influence. I'm leaning toward the 40ish degree trajectory scenario as of now based largely on past similar setups that seem to favor the overland direction when there is strong wedging.

it has over .50" falling part of east Central TN and adjacent NC, so needless to say there's good snows again coming to the southern Apps...great season there so far. Ratios will probably ensure over 12" for some upslope places.

At 54, -12 dips into northern SC. BRRRR. Moisture explosion over much of central and south TX.

Northern ala. and nw GA are bombed by 84. The surface low is south of Fl panhandle and the 5H vort is slightly further south, but very well discernable. Its plenty cold well south from Chs. to MAC to Jan.

Would you say the heaviest precipitation would be along a line from Muscle Shoals, AL to Rome, GA and extending east?

by 90, still cold and about .25" precip in w. NC and SC so far. Sigh, at 96 it really lightens up for the Carolinas.:thumbsdown:

Yep. Not looking too good here. The trend of the weakening short wave has put a number on our precip rates today.

It's cold. QPF still pretty light around here. SLP is dying.. basically a 1016mb wave by the time it hits the Atlantic.

yep. Its a 1016. The precip gets off to a good start in the lower miss. valley and gradually wanes eastward. Guess i was wrong. But then again most models are still too light with Gulf systems, so I don't think this is it exactly. By Tuesday am, its redeveloping off Charleston, so tht would fit the pattern to have precip approach here, die out, then reform east of here.:axe:

Archived