• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

Matthew East (should I just call him Matt? Everybody knows him? Anyway) gave some insight on his blog video about how he could see the rationale comparing this system to the 1988 system where we got a foot. He said that the 88 system was not a strong low, just good dynamics with cold air in place over an extended period of time. That's what this is set up to do.

If I'm not mistaken, the Christmas storm started to go bonkers as it came on land. I wonder what's going to happen once this one does. How long before it's ashore?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z NAM show northern LA and central MS to have 12" of snow about 7pm sunday

That is likely incorrect verbatim looking at thickness profiles and 850 temps in that area. I am not sure what algorithm Allan uses on his maps, but if it is a sn-flag and fixed 10:1, most of what you are seeing there is ZR and IP, mainly ZR.

at 66 it has the strong remants of the vort in west central Miss. but didnt' allow the precip to get under its best divergence yet and to the north. This is actually typical, and I have to say I like the way its stronger with the southern stream now, the northern precip shield is almost always further north than shown, and the top edge will fan out east to west with the good confluence. I think it should be around central Ark to southern half of tenn by then.

nam coming back more in line with the other guidance it would appear..which is fine by me :D

I was looking closely at the soundings for georgia this morning from the 06z guidance, and let's just say that there is a good chance someone gets a foot.

btw, for giggles sake..the gfs is still showing 6 inches of snow on the ground here all the way through hour 192. I don't have any experience with melting rates with ground temps like this and with the cold we are dealing with afterwards but I think I'm going to love it :snowman:

Yeah, the features are quite close to the 6z run, but the precip shield looks markedly further south.

at 66 it has the strong remants of the vort in west central Miss. but didnt' allow the precip to get under its best divergence yet and to the north. This is actually typical, and I have to say I like the way its stronger with the southern stream now, the northern precip shield is almost always further north than shown, and the top edge will fan out east to west with the good confluence. I think it should be around central Ark to southern half of tenn by then.

The 700RH shield is just slightly south of it's 66 hour position at hour 60 on the 12z

It's all in the strength of the wave. If this trends stronger, we'll be fine.

BTW, just saw TWC and is forecasting a low of 5 on Thursday next week.

Archived