amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC 1/7-1/8 Regional Discussion and Obs

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it useless? Because it doesnt show the amounts you were expecting?

No, because since the storm is on our doorstep, this is a nowcasting scenario, not a model hugging scenario.

thats weenie statement 101, this was never more than 1-3 inches for our area.

Really?

12Z NMM disagrees

hiresw_p48_048l.gif

Looks like 5-8" for NYC. Unless, is that also a weenie statement?

GFS is barely .10" for NYC and less then .10" for most

of LI.

The leading edge of the light snow is moving eastward from central PA. I'm looking for 1-3" from the initial round of precip and then will see where the heavier norlun trough bands set up and the results of an intensifying low off the coast tomorrow.

The GFS has been picking up the pace of the dynamics with the first system. Dry air races in after a several hour snowfall. I even have noticed the NAM is picking up the pace, but has more QPF which could be due to its resolution. The soundings I have seen have a convective look so obviously the models will struggle with that even if they are higher resolution.

No, because since the storm is on our doorstep, this is a nowcasting scenario, not a model hugging scenario.

Really?

12Z NMM disagrees

That is just a higher resolution of the NAM. Basically you are seeing a similar result that operational NAM shows.

An interesting thing to note about the 0Z GFS is that it is 6 hours slow with the precipitation.

gfs_ten_006m.gif

It shows precip extending into Eastern PA 6 hours from now.

usa_None_anim.gif

But the precip has already expanded into Eastern PA. Subtle differences like this, concerning Norlun Troughs can make a huge difference. That's why you should take Nowcasting, instead of model hugging.

EDIT: There is also a report coming in from Berks County that it has just begun to snow there!

It has started snowing here in Berks county

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=24732&view=findpost&p=1204588

Really?

That's yesterday's run of the hi-res. I hope somebody else pointed that out already I'm just catching up in this thread. Of course we're nowcasting, but the GFS isn't useless. It has been confirming the trends of all the other models in sweeping snowbands quickly northeast after a few runs yesterday kept it in place for 24 hours.

That's yesterday's run of the hi-res. I hope somebody else pointed that out already I'm just catching up in this thread. Of course we're nowcasting, but the GFS isn't useless. It has been confirming the trends of all the other models in sweeping snowbands quickly northeast after a few runs yesterday kept it in place for 24 hours.

doesn't anyone get it? it's because of the energy coming down which spawns our snows on saturday

weaker norlun on friday, better snow on saturday

doesn't anyone get it? it's because of the energy coming down which spawns our snows on saturday

weaker norlun on friday, better snow on saturday

Yes that energy coming down on the backside of the Polar Vortex is really pushing the first vort max and associated inverted trough quickly north and east.

An interesting thing to note about the 0Z GFS is that it is 6 hours slow with the precipitation.

But the precip has already expanded into Eastern PA. Subtle differences like this, concerning Norlun Troughs can make a huge difference. That's why you should take Nowcasting, instead of model hugging.

EDIT: There is also a report coming in from Berks County that it has just begun to snow there!

http://forums.accuwe...dpost&p=1204588

Doesn't seem too slow to me. 06z is about 1am I believe. What often makes norlun trough events prolific is when snowbands stay in place for a long duration. That's the biggest thing that's changed since yesterday. I don't doubt that intensity could be briefly heavy, but where I've lost confidence in a significant event is the duration part.

Is it model hugging on a clear night when no precip is forecast to call for no accumulation? The models are pretty useful tools. Even if it snows 1" per hour it's going to be hard to accumulate 6" in and around NYC.

It shows precip extending into Eastern PA 6 hours from now.

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=24732&view=findpost&p=1204588

It's currently 0432z, not 0000z.

Doesn't seem too slow to me. 06z is about 1am I believe. What often makes norlun trough events prolific is when snowbands stay in place for a long duration. That's the biggest thing that's changed since yesterday. I don't doubt that intensity could be briefly heavy, but where I've lost confidence in a significant event is the duration part.

Is it model hugging on a clear night when no precip is forecast to call for no accumulation? The models are pretty useful tools. Even if it snows 1" per hour it's going to be hard to accumulate 6" in and around NYC.

I have to agree with you here man. I think what the NAM is keying in on is some very strong dynamics but the system is going to be racing to the ENE so I am becoming a bit skeptical on its higher QPF.

the 0z nam simulated radar drives home your point quite graphically.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/model_l.shtml

Yep. It sucked when the area of convergence at 500mb and below looked to weaken and pivot around faster, meaning that our snowband is weaker and pivots faster, and produces less snow for everybody. But the system for Saturday looks to be intensifying on most models, and could give us a round #2 then, and make up for the snow we lose tomorrow (which could still be impressive for a few hours). 2-4" generally sounds like a good call.

Strongly agree. I mentioned this in my discussion for the blog earlier today.

"A thin band should move southwest to northeast during the day Friday. Within this band..moderate to heavy snow could fall. It should be noted that guidance has backed off on the development of an inverted trough/norlun trough type feature. Instead..they are moving the boundary along rather swiftly---until it reaches an area just north of the NYC Metro, where it attempts to pivot."

Archived