e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Jan 9-11 Storm

Wow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad trade, though. With colder air, comes higher ratios. I'd rather roll the dice with precip, than temps, personally.

The trend is good for whom? The s/w trended weaker. At best, we'd be on the northern fringe and pick up a few inches based on this trend. Colder trend, yes. More robust s/w with a healthy precip shield, no.

Ha, Love LOVE LOVE this run for my area, sorry to sound greedy. By 108 the low is slow along SAV or CHS with the inverted trough through the Apps to coast, and still snowing moderately, verbatim. The problem is the models can't handle the qpf on this side of the storm, like its doing ok with around TX, TN, Ms and Al because it thinks the precip will outrun the dynamics. That probably won't happen, and the 5H feature is still seen, and the moisture should hold together and re-generate if anything around that time frame. This model is catching up to that idea, with each run I think we're seeing signs of it.

The good news is it kep the low southern track, and the temps without wrapping too much warm advection. This would be a big snow hit from northeast of DFW to northern Miss. Al, GA and much of the Carolinas, and southern 2/3 of Tenn.

It drops .75" over Upstate to here . Still snowing at 120hour...the inverted trough still there.:snowman::snowman::snowman:

I can see how NC ****COULD*** miss out on a lot of moisture with this system..That confluence will more than likely destroy this system as it gets close to the SE. I hope not, but if your in NC, might not be that good of a setup for yall

Indeed. Its flexing its muscle even more on this run. Not a good trend for heavy NC snowfall.

The trend is good for whom? The s/w trended weaker. At best, we'd be on the northern fringe and pick up a few inches based on this trend. Colder trend, yes. More robust s/w with a healthy precip shield, no.

With the SW weaker, it allows the next trough to continue the light snow later on, The Euro has at least .5 for all of NC except the far NE corner. If you guys get 4-6" up there and I get 7-8", no whining allowed/

yeah, 850 RH map at 120 hours looks very nice.

Ha, Love LOVE LOVE this run for my area, sorry to sound greedy. By 108 the low is slow along SAV or CHS with the inverted trough through the Apps to coast, and still snowing moderately, verbatim. The problem is the models can't handle the qpf on this side of the storm, like its doing ok with around TX, TN, Ms and Al because it thinks the precip will outrun the dynamics. That probably won't happen, and the 5H feature is still seen, and the moisture should hold together and re-generate if anything around that time frame. This model is catching up to that idea, with each run I think we're seeing signs of it.

The good news is it kep the low southern track, and the temps without wrapping too much warm advection. This would be a big snow hit from northeast of DFW to northern Miss. Al, GA and much of the Carolinas, and southern 2/3 of Tenn.

It drops .75" over Upstate to here . Still snowing at 120hour...the inverted trough still there.:snowman::snowman::snowman:

Maybe they're all wrong and the QPF will be much more. I figured that last time for the christmas storm, but was wrong.

The 4million people living in the atlanta metro.....

96 hours, .5 in ATL, all snow

:popcorn:

I approve of this message!

This run is a good example of how hard it is to really nail everyone in our large geographic area. Hopefully, this is the storm to give us all something good! Now I've got to focus on my day job for awhile.

Robert, you keep me hopeful when I become doubtful. I hope you're right. I've seen QPF amounts double in one model run suite (like it did for the Feb 04 event) and I've seen them stick to their guns and end up pretty accurate (like the xmas storm).

Indeed. Its flexing its muscle even more on this run. Not a good trend for heavy NC snowfall.

That vortex is long gone and serves to keep the southern stream on a good track, climo speaking. Its really not hurting us I don't think, it wil act to keep this from going to DC. In my opinon, NC and northern SC will do about as well as any place else, I'm not going by the verbatim output either (alhtough .75" pretty widespread is nothing to sneeze at). With the lingering inverted trough, NC may in fact be the snowiest state when all is said and done. I really like the trends, and couldn't have hoped for better run.

That vortex is long gone and serves to keep the southern stream on a good track, climo speaking. Its really not hurting us I don't think, it wil act to keep this from going to DC. In my opinon, NC and northern SC will do about as well as any place else, I'm not going by the verbatim output either (alhtough .75" pretty widespread is nothing to sneeze at). With the lingering inverted trough, NC may in fact be the snowiest state when all is said and done. I really like the trends, and couldn't have hoped for better run.

Agree, you kept the faith and things are looking good. This set of models is a winner for a lot of folks on this board. Lets hope it holds.

With the SW weaker, it allows the next trough to continue the light snow later on, The Euro has at least .5 for all of NC except the far NE corner. If you guys get 4-6" up there and I get 7-8", no whining allowed/

Cheez,

Did you men at least 0.25"? I see 0.25"+, not 0.50"+, for all but the far NE corner.

I see ~0.70" qpf for KATL, all as snow. ..wow!! Would be biggest mod.+ Nina snow since 2/1894!

Killer run for the 74 corridor this go around...wow.

Yes. Most of our snow fall with temps around -4 at 850, and the EURO holds surface temps in the 20's bound from northern 1/3 or GA to all the western Carolinas. Thats a great storm, imo. With snow fallng most of the day, great track. I'm not sure why folks are worried on the QPF numbers printed. A typical 80's storm dropped .50 to .75" liquid equivalent, and this looks no different. If anything it could easily top 1" equivalent widespread in Ga dn the Carolinas. Pinch me, I'm dreaming.

[JI] 4" events bore me. I need a foot. [/JI]

Wow, like Foothills is saying this is a pretty sweet run for us. We have to also remember this is going to be a long duration event so instead of a quick 4-5 inches falling over a 10 hour period it is going to be over a long period so light precip will begin to add up over time. Colder air aloft will also lead to high ratios so even if total precip is lower we will do better because of the colder air.

Archived