Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Looking Ahead to January

Dr No

my gut says the computers are unable to accurately forecast the block

is we get screwed, its going to be because it stays to our south more often than moving to our north

anyone look at Brett Anderson's interpretation of the new Euro weeklies?

this will make you laugh for the same reason as the snow cover hole

http://www.accuweath...del-outlook.asp

probably on the block.. no reason to think it's not a continuing 'issue' going forward imo... but we came out of dec without a ton to show from it other than cold. if it's just going to be cold and dry i'll take some SE ridge, thanks. :P

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a thread in the main forum about snow chances for NY and Boston after a big December Storm. I took the years they used for their discussion and checked them against DCA's season snowfall. All but 2 seasons had above average snow for us when NY has a December snow over 8 inches. So i think we will still have a decent season.

my gut says the computers are unable to accurately forecast the block

is we get screwed, its going to be because it stays to our south more often than moving to our north

anyone look at Brett Anderson's interpretation of the new Euro weeklies?

this will make you laugh for the same reason as the snow cover hole

http://www.accuweath...del-outlook.asp

Brett needs to graduate from MSPaint :arrowhead:

There is a thread in the main forum about snow chances for NY and Boston after a big December Storm. I took the years they used for their discussion and checked them against DCA's season snowfall. All but 2 seasons had above average snow for us when NY has a December snow over 8 inches. So i think we will still have a decent season.

This has been my feeling all along. I'm not a forecaster by any means or even a dedicated hobbyist but I looked at a lot of charts and maps, things you don't need a degree to read and interpret. What I saw in those charts was when the was blocking present in a moderate/strong Niña, there was still the possibility of coastal storms, only that the track shifted south and east. None of the meteorologists in the ENSO thread this summer believed that there could be decent snowfall because of the record heat in the region. Well obviously they were wrong. Richmond, VA has had above normal snowfall and well below normal temps and the storm track has shifted to the southeast. Despite my complete lack of knowledge on seasonal forecasting, I saw it coming. There is value in analogs if you look for trends rather than matches. DC should have a normal year and Richmond will be above normal. When the block relaxes and the cold comes back later next month, it'll be our turn.

18 gfs wants to send us some precip around hour 96. Looks to be too warm but maybe we could get a rain --> snow changeover?

Not as modeled by the GFS- we'd never get cold air in here fast enough. If the energy slows and digs down, like how the DGEX handles it but much moreso, maybe. I don't know if it's possible with the strong upper low in SC Canada.

The models have struggled with northern stream systems lately, but still I'd give it .01% chance of seeing a flake.

We need that low to become the 50/50 for late next week though.

I did the same thing but what you have to factor in is that those years featured snow in December for us as well which when added to the total made for a decent season....so you have to take what we didn't get in December off of the total. It's not that optimistic really....we are well on our way to a cold and dry winter down here

I can see one of those "clippers" phasing with the piece of energy that gets ejected out of the SW trof through CO. I think it will provide a shot at something around Wednesday. Keep in mind that guidance really has suffered with identifying the strength of northern stream energy in this blocking pattern.

With the fast flow at 500mb and the confluence to our north it wont amplify too much, but hopefully enough.

eh...maybe....i recover much faster than he does though. Once I realize where we are heading I settle into making fun....today seems to be my transition day to settling in.

The transition today takes us from a bad winter to a horrible one. Only solace is LC sees an important east coast event Jan 13-17

Archived