• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
blizzard pictures thread

forkyfork

Those open fields look like they extend up to your northeast (judging from the sun angle). Do you think there was much drifting from them?

Love the fence shot!

Thanks, those fields actually extend to the SW. The sun glare makes it hard to tell where the sun is in the sky. It's amazing those fences in the field about 5 ft high and there's snow engulfing them.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The drifiting really played a major part. As if 20-32" of snow isn't enough you start getting 4 foot drifts and the impact becomes that much worse. I think this is why it seems a lot worse than 03/06 and last year where the winds didnt play as much a part

Don't know about gkrangers, monmouthcounty11, and you other Monmouth folks, but I was just plowed out this morning, and roads are still horrendous. Only one pass has been made in my development, and crews are usually top notch around here.

Route 18 closed in Colts Neck and just watched rescues made w/ helicopter landings about 1 mile south of me. The hvy snowfall rates are what really killed us I think, combined w/ the strong winds continuing for 24 hrs after.

Don't know about gkrangers, monmouthcounty11, and you other Monmouth folks, but I was just plowed out this morning, and roads are still horrendous. Only one pass has been made in my development, and crews are usually top notch around here.

Route 18 closed in Colts Neck and just watched rescues made w/ helicopter landings about 1 mile south of me. The hvy snowfall rates are what really killed us I think, combined w/ the strong winds continuing for 24 hrs after.

Similar conditions here bud. It's bad.

The crews in scotch plains/fanwood are absolutely terrific. they have been at work since the minute the snow ended. There only so much you can do. The secondary roads are a mess. Drifts everywhere.

As a side note to Jgorlinsky: I love that you are showing some support for the Redskins up their in NJ!

Always!

In regards to the streets not getting plowed, I know a lot of the equipment in my town and neighboring towns has broken down and/or is not capable of handling this much snow. We saw one front loader come by the other day to carve out a lane but other than that it's been nothing. My neighbors entire yard is a drift up to my chest, very few places are open and many places are still littered with abandoned cars.

The scenes on the news remind me a lot of last yr here in D.C. .. though with the drifting in ways makes things much worse. We had some after the second storm but we didnt get as much snow and streets were just about cleared from the first when it hit. Main streets getting clear but mountains of snow everywhere .. sidestreets a general disaster. Struck by how many city vehicles and such are/were stuck.

Yes.. baby boom coming. We've got a lot of new Snowmageddon babies these days.

ngva5k.jpg

Start...

Afternath (I will post a LOT more photos, including the night shots. (The following morning). About 2' on the ground.

inu7ew.jpg

2vn5pms.jpg

2uhv7te.jpg

(Night shots) One of my favorites; this was taken around 11 PM, with heavy snow.

v7tm5c.jpg

2lncyv6.jpg

in8geg.jpg

(That road is still a big mess even this morning). truly a crippling storm.

27znnp.jpg

axmsy0.jpg

35bi3yq.jpg

img000452010122619421.jpg

Cell phone pic taken out of my front door during the height of the storm. A trained spotter reported 29" in my town, although I think the real total was more like 25" when comparing totals to all of the surrounding towns.

I have to drive down to Brick Township tomorrow. I'm hoping Rt 70 is cleared by now.

Cell phone pic taken out of my front door during the height of the storm. A trainer spotter reported 29" in my town, although I think the real total was more like 25" when comparing totals to all of the surrounding towns.

I have to drive down to Brick Township tomorrow. I'm hoping Rt 70 is cleared by now.

Sounds like totals there and in Holmdel were about the same. It's a draw!

IMG_1727.jpg

i took this with my friend's camera

Well, I just learned something that probably seems epically stupid to you guys....but the windshield wiper problem has given me fits every time it snows down here and noone down here lifts them up...now I "know" a Yankee secret about dealing with snow. rolleyes.gif

enjoying the modern version of the Maunder Minimum.

Just read an article on WUWT that suggested that the current solar minimum is currently outpacing the Dalton and might be maundering.... whistle.gif

Myself, IDK...I'm just a casual follower and I like to read.

We are spoiled out here. Through countless large snowfalls, I've seldom seen more than about an inch accumulate on my street before a plow makes another pass. I wouldn't mind not seeing any blacktop for a while during a storm.

I'm going to keep reminding myself of that when I go down to the town clerk's office in the AM to pay my property tax bill.

Back on topic:

post-290-0-46958100-1293682168.jpg

post-290-0-52372100-1293682185.jpg

post-290-0-10623400-1293682207.jpg

post-290-0-71440300-1293682219.jpg

Archived