wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
blizzard pictures thread

forkyfork

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was not "weenies with a ruler". The heavier band missed you mostly to your East.

I will anmit that Rahway TWP is 4 miles from me, but I did not see 32 inches. Only aspect I saw was rahway TWP does not plow well. Rty 27 STILL is only one lane!! WTF

I could have measured 30 inches plus...but did not feel comfy calling in the report.

I did notice higher totals in my area, but me having a specific measureing area did not have the noaa standards.

PS. My back yard still has 4 ft drifts.

I will anmit that Rahway TWP is 4 miles from me, but I did not see 32 inches. Only aspect I saw was rahway TWP does not plow well. Rty 27 STILL is only one lane!! WTF

I could have measured 30 inches plus...but did not feel comfy calling in the report.

I did notice higher totals in my area, but me having a specific measureing area did not have the noaa standards.

I measured 31.8" and called it in, because that was the amount of snow that I had. And I felt "comfortable" with it, because I know how to measure snow, and am confident in my measurements.

some just love to report the highest amount they measure in their yard.  Take a town 6 miles from me, reported 29 yet  a town a mile away from them came in with 18? Both in the same band of snow,  seems fishy.  Analog must be the spotter from elizabeth lol.

What the **** are you talking about? The "highest" measurement on a flat surface was 39". Apparently, you don't know how to read a radar loop.

http://synoptic.envsci.rutgers.edu/riggi/101226_27_kdix.gif

You were well east of the "megaband" that stalled over western Union county and the spine of NJ. Hudson County got all the same bands Elizabeth did and no one here got over 26" (and my report may have been an inch or two too high, too).

Also, how did KEWR report 24.2" and you get 8" more when you're in the same town?

http://synoptic.envs...226_27_kdix.gif

You were well east of the "megaband" that stalled over western Union county and the spine of NJ. Hudson County got all the same bands Elizabeth did and no one here got over 26" (and my report may have been an inch or two too high, too).

Also, how did KEWR report 24.2" and you get 8" more when you're in the same town?

I agree with you, no way they got 32. mega band was over me for hrs than came back to some extent later in the night. my total was 22 which went well with surrounding towns were most were 22-24.  its easy to see which areas measured in drifts 

dude, Newark got 24 inches, 30 inches in Elizabeth and 32 in Rahway is not correct. Elizabeth is Newark Airport and Rahway is 6 miles a crow fly SW of Newark airport.

I honestly can only see the 28 inch report in Morris county semi accurate considering the 287 lift affect

dude, Newark got 24 inches, 30 inches in Elizabeth and 32 in Rahway is not correct. Elizabeth is Newark Airport and Rahway is 6 miles a crow fly SW of Newark airport.

I honestly can only see the 28 inch report in Morris county semi accurate considering the 287 lift affect

Just in case it wasn't clear, I completely agree with you and was trying to make that point...

Just in case it wasn't clear, I completely agree with you and was trying to make that point...

Agree.. Avg snowfall from NYC west was 18-24 inches. It is possible that some locations on or just west rt 287 got near 28 inches.

any reports over 28 inchest are suspect imop.

I know earth light measured 30 inches, but he seemed to measure every hour or two in reports.

Agree.. Avg snowfall from NYC west was 18-24 inches. It is possible that some locations on or just west rt 287 got near 28 inches.

I know earth light measured 30 inches, but he seemed to measure every hour or two in reports.

no its wrong, lincoln park doesnt have much elevation so lift factor was not an issue.  Also the town of boonton came in with 18 which throws a flag up since they are right next to eachother and both towns were in the mega band 

I think if there's anyone who got ~30", it was western Union County.

How did Central Park get 20.2 in 1996?

I am actually the one who called OKX in 1996 to LOWER the Elizabeth total to 28.8" and NOT the 32" that everyone was reporting.

I don't know, and your comment before the edit was a little unnecessary. All I'm saying is that I'm not the only suspicious one and I am going to take KEWR's snow total over a spotter (and not just you, but anyone). This shouldn't be shocking.

It would be shocking if you had any clue what goes on at the airport sites.

It would be shocking if you had any clue what goes on at the airport sites.

Why don't you enlighten me?

Newark Airport's totals agreed perfectly with all of the obs around them except, well, yours. Sorry, but that's how it is. This was a really hard storm to measure. Rahway's ob was from the public, so that's that.

About 1996, NYC total should be at least ten inches higher given surrounding locations were in the 28-32" range, being the highest total of 32 to 33" in Union County, New Jersey. Then again, '96 was one of the hardest storms to measure simply because it was 30 hours....

This past storm was much eaiser to measure than 1996, because it was a bit shorter in duration (less compaction). However, I do agree that west Union County (where John lives), hit the 30-32" mark, I have a friend that lives in Westfield, New Jersey; the next town from Fanwood, he told me that they got 30-31 inches of snow.

no its wrong, lincoln park doesnt have much elevation so lift factor was not an issue. Also the town of boonton came in with 18 which throws a flag up since they are right next to eachother and both towns were in the mega band

I did not look to much into it, but figured that report was up near the rt 287 & Rt 80 area. that area and mine and where you live got 20-24 inches confirmed.

safe to say...it was a severe blizzard, but snow totals were high in areas.

I am personally eyeing up homes in highland LakesVsron area to buy by nex winter. Going to try some evelation out for a few years hopefully.:scooter:

Why don't you enlighten me?

Newark Airport's totals agreed perfectly with all of the obs around them except, well, yours. Sorry, but that's how it is. This was a really hard storm to measure. Rahway's ob was from the public, so that's that.

Airport measurers are employed by the FAA, not the National Weather Service, and are not well paid. MOST of them really don't care too much about getting the measurement exactly right.

I live 4 miles from Clark,NJ.

honeslty..I am okay with the clakrk total at 27 inches, but **** 32 n Rahway, next door ...come on now.

I never question anyone's totals in a snowstorm. I will tell everyone one thing: I lived at the exact same address as I did in 1996. And this is the MOST snow I have EVER seen! At least in this location, it DEFINITELY snowed more this time than 1996! I didn't even want 1996's totals to be beaten, but they were. It snowed 25.5" here in 10 hours. That intensity may never occur here again, as long as I live!

Isn't Rahway eastern Union? I meant more-so the towns like Springfield, Fanwood/Scotch Plains and Westfield...that area.

Unless something rare occurred..honestly..rahway is 4 miles or less from my place in North Edison,NJ.

I may have and should of measured 30 inches.

Noaa measurments require a 4 hr interval.

If you live in an urband area such are Elizabeth and Rahway ans stick a ruler in the ground..youmay have got 30-34 inches.

the way I measure, it was less.

Unless something rare occurred..honestly..rahway is 4 miles or less from my place in North Edison,NJ.

I may have and should of measured 30 inches.

Noaa measurments require a 4 hr interval.

If you live in an urband area such are Elizabeth and Rahway ans stick a ruler in the ground..youmay have got 30-34 inches.

the way I measure, it was less.

You have to measure where you live. I can't go to some field in Springfield and claim that to be the measurement for Elizabeth if it's not even in Elizabeth. All I know is, my measurements over the last 15 years have always been in line with other reports. Therefore, if my measurement is different than others, and I check and recheck and get the same result, I feel confident enough to stick with whatever the number is.

Archived