Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV/Big Jim: OBS 12-27/1-1-2011

LMolineuxLM1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy New Year!

currently out of town (OBS area)

OBS:currently in Fairbanks AK..... -1 now and 3 more hours to the "North Pole Snowflake drop" flurries

just got 12 inches in Talkeetna last night.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Wednesday: Skiing Alyeska with powder up to my chest....oh yea

Some pic's from Alyeska would be a plus :)

Happy New Year to all the fine folks here on the board!

Made it all the way up to 43.9 yesterday...first day above 40 since the 12th of December. Snowcover is now down to 2" on average

The month ended with an average temperature of 28.9 which is 4.4 degrees below normal

Snowfall for the month was 7.0" which is 1.6 inches above normal. Seasonal Snowfall is at 7" which is 0.5" above seasonal normal to date.

Yearly precipitation ended at 43.13" which is 3.41" below normal

2010 snowfall was 72.4"

Yeah I've got in the neighborhood of 5 to as much as 8" depending on whether its gotten direct sunlight this week or not. I'm surprised Toms Rivers is down to 3". Does Elizabeth still have 20"? :)

Toms River is pretty big and always has diversified totals during snow storms - where I live still dealing with a good 6 to 8" pack - that would be North and West of Scott

I have a question about the dense fog here in Central NJ - I had always thought there could not be fog with precipitation, but I was just outside now and it is raining lightly. I don't think it's moisture from the fog itself, it seems too concentrated to me (as opposed to the diffuse droplets one feels in fog). I must be mistaken - it can indeed be foggy and rainy simultaneously. Can any of you experts give any more detail about this - is it just a common thing, and I have failed to observe it all these years? Thanks!

I have a question about the dense fog here in Central NJ - I had always thought there could not be fog with precipitation, but I was just outside now and it is raining lightly. I don't think it's moisture from the fog itself, it seems too concentrated to me (as opposed to the diffuse droplets one feels in fog). I must be mistaken - it can indeed be foggy and rainy simultaneously. Can any of you experts give any more detail about this - is it just a common thing, and I have failed to observe it all these years? Thanks!

You are correct that its not common. Usually, fog disperses when it starts to rain. However, since the causative factor (snow remaining on the ground) is still there reinforcing it, the fog is likely to linger longer than it normally would.

You are correct that its not common. Usually, fog disperses when it starts to rain. However, since the causative factor (snow remaining on the ground) is still there reinforcing it, the fog is likely to linger longer than it normally would.

That along with the combination of higher dew points and milder air over the lingering snowpack helped the fog formation.

It appears a wave of LP along the front is starting to get it's act together...radar starting to light up a bit to the south and west. Could be a bit tricky a little later on in the area. Usually precip will dry out before cold air gets in but this could be somewhat close

Interesting..... 50 degrees, sun is out, sleet/ ice pellets.

Thank you for your answer! And, btw, another odd occurrence today - a January rainbow around 11:30 this morning. The dim winter sun made it look particularly pale and icy.

It appears a wave of LP along the front is starting to get it's act together...radar starting to light up a bit to the south and west. Could be a bit tricky a little later on in the area. Usually precip will dry out before cold air gets in but this could be somewhat close

Current Wxsim has the precip this afternoon transitioning to an icy mix by about 5pm here in the NW Philly burbs. The forecast also has snow arriving here on Friday around rush hour with 2-3 inches accumulating.

IMO, probably get a better chance of seeing graupel/sleet mix in. Temps are in the 40's back to west of Harrisburg and the cold air is in no hurry to move in.

Archived