• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Severe Weather 5-6 through 5-9-24

1 hour ago, Tezeta said:

Cmon dude this wasn’t like 4/27/11 so no need to enter that into the conversation.

the qlcs regime overperformed in Missouri and Iowa and the barnsdell cell obviously went ham. But the main high risk had problems performing all day. A moderate woulda been fine. 

Right.

We can bring up edge/extreme cases as a comparison until we're blue in the face if it just to be pedantic. But while anything is possible, as of now I'm not seeing evidence to suggest we're going to have 13+ more confirmed reports of tornadoes incoming. And that's a good thing IMO.

Regardless, it was still quite the active day to top off what's been a fairly acfive season for much of the Plains.

7 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Right.

We can bring up edge/extreme cases as a comparison until we're blue in the face if it just to be pedantic. But while anything is possible, as of now I'm not seeing evidence to suggest we're going to have 13+ more confirmed reports of torrnadoes forthcoming. And that's a good thing IMO.

Regardless, it was still quite the active day to top off what's been a fairly acfive season for much of the Plains.

Still immature and premature at this point to be screaming bust. It’s very possible the survey teams find additional tornado paths. At this point it makes no sense why some are still screaming bust when a town was destroyed with known fatalities.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Still immature and premature at this point to be screaming bust. It’s very possible the survey teams find additional tornado paths. At this point it makes no sense why some are still screaming bust when a town was destroyed with known fatalities.

Forecast verification isn’t based upon a single bad tornado happening to hit a town. We had supposedly the top parameter space anyone has seen. Forecast was for multiple violent long track tornadoes. We had 5 supercells nicely spaced who all failed to consistently produce tornadoes throughout the afternoon. Even at night the LLJ and additional forcing didn’t lead to better tornadogenesis conditions, despite the crazy OUN sounding. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.png.e617b4032c124d38bbe1ccf0c495cafb.png

Just going to point out that 9 times out of 10 when you see an MRMS rotation track map like this, you'd be wondering "was that a high risk" or something like that. I believe the processes that happened to cause N/W OK and S KS to underperform occurred on timescales shorter than outlook forecasts are meant to cover. To put it in simpler terms, the high risk was warranted, but it was death by a thousand paper cuts storm morphology wise.

That Hennessey OK storm would've dropped an absolutely monstrous tornado had it not been seeded by the storm in behind, resulting in too much precip in the RFD. Other storms looked reasonable early and at one point we had a string of 4-5 discrete/semi-discrete supercells -> i.e. the incipient states of a tornado outbreak, but it seems they took just ever so slightly (perhaps less than an hour) too long to reach the really high theta-e air that was closer to I-40 and, say, US 281.

Also the storms that formed in SW OK later were dealing with veered winds near the Pacific cold front and probably were having difficulty not being undercut by the same front. Had they propagated slightly off the front -> yikes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Barnsdall rated EF4.

i was a little concerned that all they would find is ef3 DI's.  glad that this will be "properly" rated.

Just now, Tezeta said:

i was a little concerned that all they would find is ef3 DI's.  glad that this will be "properly" rated.

I think the extent of the tree damage probably pushed them over the threshold for EF4. That stuff was high end, especially just NE of town.

45 minutes ago, andyhb said:

I think the extent of the tree damage probably pushed them over the threshold for EF4. That stuff was high end, especially just NE of town.

I know Bartlesville, OK is getting engineers on-site to further survey the 2x4’s impaled into a concrete wall at the Hampton Inn.

Concerning Barnsdall, there’s questions regarding the few structures wiped clean to the slab. A few of them were mobile homes, but one was thrown a good distance away. One of the structures reduced to slab was not a mobile home though.

IMG_5846.png

IMG_5843.png

Multiple areas to watch across the subforum region today. SPC has a moderate risk for a threat of very large hail and tornadoes across southern Missouri and vicinity. 

Convection is ongoing near/north of the warm front, as well as closer to a surface low, ahead of an approaching cold front.

IMG-8055.jpg

Watch the warm frontal zone across southern Missouri and perhaps far northern Arkansas for the greatest tornado threat later today. Here, low level hodographs are enlarged and both deep layer shear and instability are more than sufficient. 

Satellite imagery shows a few boundaries across Arkansas, but weaker large scale forcing and capping will be limiting factors. A few CAMs have hinted at isolated open warm sector development as well, so the threat is non-zero here.

Early afternoon convection near the MO/OK border should expand and shift east. Additional development down the cold front is possible across eastern Oklahoma, although there is still some capping noted.

Another area to watch is northeast Texas. Warmer mid level temperatures are in place, so CI should be delayed until late afternoon. Hodographs are elongated with less low level curvature. This combined with extreme instability suggests large/very large hail will probably be the main threat. 

• Like 3

tornado warning for Huntsville

Until 1015 PM CDT.

* At 926 PM CDT, a tornado producing storm was located over eastern
  Huntsville, moving east at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

Targeted Northeast Texas and briefly caught a tornado about 7 miles NW of Paris, TX. Visibility was low for much of the chase, both due to haze and terrain. I could not confirm a ground circulation from my vantage point, but others closer could.

B8-ECC503-C4-FD-4950-9-DAA-F60-DB7-F2-DF

It was also a bad area for radar data. Right in the middle of the TLX-SRX-FWS triangle. The picture is from 7:48 PM, when it was winding down. 
IMG-8119.png

• Like 2