EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Severe Weather 4-30-24 through 5-2-24

SPC Day One Outlook (4-30-24):

image.png.c4d18ae19ee8cdab2a031bcd79f3a48d.png

SPC Day Two Outlook (4-31-24):

image.png.762ed4699be6a8560129b873a1d469d6.png

Severe storms in chaseable terrain return today and tomorrow (possibly Thursday too?). Today's threat covers areas hit hard by Friday's storms in E NE and W IA.

• Like 1

Looks like a slam dunk for severe storms today up around the western Iowa/Omaha vicinity again. Some storms will probably develop southwestward into Kansas, but convective initiation across OK/TX is more uncertain. At least isolated storm development is possible, but I’m not sure I buy the more aggressive models with their biases. 

Tomorrow has a very interesting synoptic look. Weak, glancing forcing with sufficient deep layer shear atop an unstable environment. 

Early day convection across KS/OK may play a key role in where the severe threats wind up. The more aggressive CAMs show convection diving into Oklahoma, pushing an effective front/outflow boundary into the Texas panhandle/NW Texas, toward the Red River. The HRRR and RRFS show less convection, keeping the front over western to south-central Kansas. 

Watch where the boundary sets up. Does it sink into western Oklahoma? Or does it stay up in Kansas? The favored area for severe convection will be near the triple point, OFB/WF intersection. We’ll probably have a better idea tonight, based on model trends and how much convection forms with southward extent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So are we gonna talk about those storms in SW OK? They already had at least 1 confirmed tornado.

The environment looks dangerous around OKC. Unreal it’s under a MARGINAL risk, showing no inhibition with extremely high instability and much better LCLs
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

This might be the single most violent motion I’ve ever seen documented. 

It’s a great video. Awesome intercept. But nowhere near the most violent motion. Go watch films of the Elie MB tornado. That’s my go-to. 

• Like 1

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Norman OK
839 PM CDT Tue Apr 30 2024

OKC015-031-010200-
/O.CON.KOUN.TO.W.0084.000000T0000Z-240501T0200Z/
Comanche OK-Caddo OK-
839 PM CDT Tue Apr 30 2024

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 PM CDT FOR NORTH
CENTRAL COMANCHE AND SOUTHWESTERN CADDO COUNTIES...

At 837 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located near Boone, moving
north at 10 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and half dollar size hail.

SOURCE...Weather spotters reported a tornado south of Boone, moving
         north.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
         shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
         to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree damage is
         likely.

Locations impacted include...
Apache, Boone, northwestern Lake Ellsworth, and Stecker.

The Westmoreland KS Curly Q is probably going to be the most unique and incredible of 2024 but not the best of all time. There are too many insane videos to have a #1, I could narrow to a Top 5 perhaps. Its this year's version of the Dalton/Ashby MN July 8 2020.

I understand the panning up and down to get the scope of the absurd length of the funnel but I wish at least someone kept the base in view longer. The chasers were in a very dangerous spot where they could've been killed instantly by that debris but we got something special from it.

The HRRR really performed particularly poorly today for southwestern Oklahoma. It didn’t show any convection until the 22z run, while the NAM (and other CAMs) showed CI for several runs. 

As I type this, a Tornado Emergency has just been issued for Tillman County and surrounding areas. 

• cstrunk changed the title to Severe Weather 4-30-24 through 5-2-24