• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757

There was a bit of a model war yesterday between the 3k NAM that had a more cloudy/backdoor-y look today and GFS which shot everyone west of the William Floyd to 80. Looks like Upton lowered my point/click high for the day. It’ll be a day to day struggle as long as we’re in this pattern. 

22 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There was a bit of a model war yesterday between the 3k NAM that had a more cloudy/backdoor-y look today and GFS which shot everyone west of the William Floyd to 80. Looks like Upton lowered my point/click high for the day. It’ll be a day to day struggle as long as we’re in this pattern. 

Next week will be more sunny

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Lovely morning

Yeah, spring is one of the the only seasons  these -NAO patterns overperform. I am on the New England side of the backdoor with low clouds and mist. Like the cooler weather in general up here so far. Especially how quickly the temperatures fall due to much better radiational cooling after sunset.

New Haven      CLOUDY    55  54  96 S6        29.95F FOG

A4051351-8BA5-4661-956E-EE31616C797E.thumb.png.5d7f7370858a6c73a1feb662a3635c22.png

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, spring is one of the the only seasons  these -NAO patterns overperform. I am on the New England side of the backdoor with low clouds and mist. Like the cooler weather in general up here so far. Especially how quickly the temperatures fall due to much better radiational cooling after sunset.

New Haven      CLOUDY    55  54  96 S6        29.95F FOG

A4051351-8BA5-4661-956E-EE31616C797E.thumb.png.5d7f7370858a6c73a1feb662a3635c22.png

I feel like our springs in the 90s were much warmer

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I feel like our springs in the 90s were much warmer

Especially 1991 with the record number on 90° days that spring. But the springs have been steadily getting earlier and warmer. It’s just that the warm up has occurred with more frequent spring -NAOs. The -NAOs can’t prevent the warming trend but they do shorten the warm ups when the -NAO is enough of a factor. So this spring has featured short 80°+ warm ups lasting a few days before the backdoors and onshore flow returns. 

Data for March 1, 1991 through May 31, 1991
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 90 
CT DANBURY COOP 11
NJ CRANFORD COOP 9
NJ PLAINFIELD COOP 8
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 8
NY NY WESTERLEIGH STAT IS COOP 8
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 6
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 6
NJ LITTLE FALLS COOP 6
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 5
NY NEW YORK AVE V BROOKLYN COOP 4
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 4
NY MINEOLA COOP 4
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 3
NJ WANAQUE RAYMOND DAM COOP 3
NY WEST POINT COOP 3
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Especially 1991 with the record number on 90° days that spring. But the springs have been steadily getting earlier and warmer. It’s just that the warm up has occurred with more frequent spring -NAOs. The -NAOs can’t prevent the warming trend but they do shorten the warm ups when the -NAO is enough of a factor. So this spring has featured short 80°+ warm ups lasting a few days before the backdoors and onshore flow returns. 

Data for March 1, 1991 through May 31, 1991
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 90 
CT DANBURY COOP 11
NJ CRANFORD COOP 9
NJ PLAINFIELD COOP 8
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 8
NY NY WESTERLEIGH STAT IS COOP 8
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 6
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 6
NJ LITTLE FALLS COOP 6
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 5
NY NEW YORK AVE V BROOKLYN COOP 4
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 4
NY MINEOLA COOP 4
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 3
NJ WANAQUE RAYMOND DAM COOP 3
NY WEST POINT COOP 3
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 3

Thanks this makes so much sense and our shorter heatwaves now too.

Years like 1991, 1993, 1999 and 2002 we had very long multiple streaks of 7+ days with 90 or higher.  Besides the +NAO back then in the spring and summer it was also drier.

49 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

the sky is really bright here but still no blue breaks, it's just a matter of time though.

as long as the sun comes out by 5 I'm happy.

Yeah no blue breaks yet but I’m seeing the sun pierce through the clouds here in Melville. I hope we can take advantage of some daytime heating, it’d suck to clear out too late for a substantial warm up.

IMG_3122.thumb.jpeg.5b28affefe73fa5737a2a9d6fdda8323.jpeg

38 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks this makes so much sense and our shorter heatwaves now too.

Years like 1991, 1993, 1999 and 2002 we had very long multiple streaks of 7+ days with 90 or higher.  Besides the +NAO back then in the spring and summer it was also drier.

Yeah, more annual 90° days overall but coming in shorter runs due to the wetter climate interrupting the individual heatwaves. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

what wind direction do you guys have? the forecast was for WNW winds and quickly clearing skies which obviously did not happen until now lol

WSW

• Like 1