• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ECLIPSE CHASING!!!!

58 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

during totality it's perfectly safe, but not during the partial phases.

I bought this double filter system to take pictures, one filter blocks 99.999% of all visible light and the other one blocks all UV and all IR.

ARe you shooting w/ full frame and are you trying to get the sun with a telephoto or something wide?  i've never shot an eclipse or the sun, and have lost my mind trying to read up on the best settings.  And of course this week it's cloudy and rainy so i can't even practice.

I want a wide angle timelapse.  So will start with the solar filter on (16 stops) and then take it off and adjust the shutter speed quickly.  But I am sure i am going to screw it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rygar said:

ARe you shooting w/ full frame and are you trying to get the sun with a telephoto or something wide?  i've never shot an eclipse or the sun, and have lost my mind trying to read up on the best settings.  And of course this week it's cloudy and rainy so i can't even practice.

I want a wide angle timelapse.  So will start with the solar filter on (16 stops) and then take it off and adjust the shutter speed quickly.  But I am sure i am going to screw it up.

it's a Panasonic FZ300 I selected it for 4K video as well as good telephoto (constant f/2.8 lens)

Seems to me that the bottom line is you can't plan where you're going until the afternoon before. This isn't tracking a storm, it's looking for a clear(ish) sky and you can't predict that more than 12-24 hours out. I've been looking forward to this for 30 years and have run through a million scenarios and it keeps coming down to leaving home by midnight and heading for the choice spot to be there before most people and before local LEOs have closed stuff off. There are only 2 things that will change my plan and they're both revolving around our fathers whose health is rapidly fading, my dad is in hospice and my FIL could leave us at any time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

ultra violet rays man, they can penetrate the skull....

(jk)

My hearing wasn't affected by the eclipse, just lost it, like my ability to make much sense these days...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Seems to me that the bottom line is you can't plan where you're going until the afternoon before. This isn't tracking a storm, it's looking for a clear(ish) sky and you can't predict that more than 12-24 hours out. I've been looking forward to this for 30 years and have run through a million scenarios and it keeps coming down to leaving home by midnight and heading for the choice spot to be there before most people and before local LEOs have closed stuff off. There are only 2 things that will change my plan and they're both revolving around our fathers whose health is rapidly fading, my dad is in hospice and my FIL could leave us at any time. 

So sorry.  I know the feeling well.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Hang in there, not easy

Eclipse wise is in max totality or bust for you?  Or are you fine with 2 min.   Asking because a midnight leave is difficult, you must be searching prime time real estate with near 4 minute totality

I'm hoping for 2+ without many people.  Tough to find day of, but going for it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Exactly why I'm deciding where to go on Sunday afternoon, after the 12Z models come out.  And even then, one can have a "sunny" forecast, but clouds could crop up just at the point of the eclipse ruining the blocked sun visual (but not all the other cool effects of daytime darkness).  And areas forecast to have clouds could simply get lucky for 5-10 minutes.  It's going to be a bit of a crapshoot right up until totality.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rygar said:

Hang in there, not easy

Eclipse wise is in max totality or bust for you?  Or are you fine with 2 min.   Asking because a midnight leave is difficult, you must be searching prime time real estate with near 4 minute totality

I'm hoping for 2+ without many people.  Tough to find day of, but going for it.

Thanks. It sux :(

This has been on my radar since I only got about 80% in the 1994 one. For the last 20 years I've been working on getting it right this time. 2 minutes might be alright but if I can I'd like to max it out. I don't mind the overnight trip, I do that for work a few times a month so it's not too far outside my routine. All I need is food, beer and a bathroom so if there's a supermarket parking lot inside the zone I'm good but I'd rather not have a bunch of people around talking dumb shit. There's a perfect parking lot a few minutes north of Paul Smiths college outside Saranac Lake that's one of my targets. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Thanks. It sux :(

This has been on my radar since I only got about 80% in the 1994 one. For the last 20 years I've been working on getting it right this time. 2 minutes might be alright but if I can I'd like to max it out. I don't mind the overnight trip, I do that for work a few times a month so it's not too far outside my routine. All I need is food, beer and a bathroom so if there's a supermarket parking lot inside the zone I'm good but I'd rather not have a bunch of people around talking dumb shit. There's a perfect parking lot a few minutes north of Paul Smiths college outside Saranac Lake that's one of my targets. 

cloud cover forecasts are subject to change, even on the day of the eclipse.

The sun came out here and I see lots of blue skies here today and there wasn't supposed to be any sun here until Sunday.

• Weenie 1

I have to chuckle at all the social media posts, telling you to keep your pets inside with the shades drawn!  When was the last time you saw a dog stare at the sun?  When was the last time you saw a bear walking into a tree?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I have to chuckle at all the social media posts, telling you to keep your pets inside with the shades drawn!  When was the last time you saw a dog stare at the sun?  When was the last time you saw a bear walking into a tree?

if anything animals scamper back to their homes because they think night has fallen.

people are scared of anything these days, if anything the animals will be looking at us and laughing inwardly.

16 hours ago, Dark Star said:

yeah alot of nonsense out there

There aren't too many N/S roads in VT, if the traffic is bad you'll be choosing a spot somewhere without snowbanks (along with everyone else). 

As the forecast homes in on the low cloud zones it's getting real. My plan got blown when my dad died this morning but go straight north and do it overnight so you get to your chosen plowed area by sunrise. The recent and current storm really reduced where you're going to be able to stop your cars and that's going to become the primary limiting factor. 

• Sad 11

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

There aren't too many N/S roads in VT, if the traffic is bad you'll be choosing a spot somewhere without snowbanks (along with everyone else). 

As the forecast homes in on the low cloud zones it's getting real. My plan got blown when my dad died this morning but go straight north and do it overnight so you get to your chosen plowed area by sunrise. The recent and current storm really reduced where you're going to be able to stop your cars and that's going to become the primary limiting factor. 

Damn very sorry to heat that man.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I am sorry to learn of your dad’s passing. You have my fullest condolences.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Through your pain and sorrow, I pray you find peace. As always ….

• Thanks 3