Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There may be a transient window of opportunity as the pac get begins to extend and a pna epo ridge goes up. It’s possible we sneak something in. Problem is after that the pattern compromise to progress and shift the ridge east and with a raging pos nao there is nothing to resist the warmth from coming across the whole continent. If we had a -nao it might force the pac jet to cut under and we would be ok for that same pacific look is hostile with a pos nao, The pna ridge just spreads out into a full conus ridge. 

Agree completely. That was mostly my point. There is a chance though(not a shit the blinds pattern), because of the favorable(as advertised) Pacific, but without NA help it is a thread the needle deal and we likely  go back to mild for a time.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the extension likely forces a -PNA that can lead to another blocking episode. combine with an Aleutian Low and slightly retracted jet and bang

So the +PNA/+NAO is going to lead to a -PNA that is going to lead to a -NAO, that is going to lead back to a +PNA?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Sure but the biggest problem is the NA. You don't think we would have a much more favorable h5 look with that Pacific and a -NAO?

i agree. and yes, the same point you mentioned in your last post is similar to March 2014 when the NAO was so positive that systems got suppressed 

the “+NAO is good” stuff is BS

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i agree. and yes, the same point you mentioned in your last post is similar to March 2014 when the NAO was so positive that systems got suppressed 

the “+NAO is good” stuff is BS

Usually antithetical to our desired outcome in the MA, but every once in awhile it can work.

Just to be clear about the advertised Pac jet configuration, this is a jet extension with the core of the jet further east/exit region near the west coast, with an associated +PNA. This outcome can vary somewhat as there are also shifts poleward/equatorward associated Nina/Nino tendencies, which along with extensions/retractions are influenced by the location of tropical forcing(MJO).

1706551200-0E3Irtiw0Ec.png

1706551200-TFnxCTVU3gg.png

A few days later when the H5 pattern 'gets crappy' this is the jet configuration- a retracting/weaker jet core and the NPAC h5 trough expands/shifts eastward(-PNA)

1706961600-wNyGSry5Aq8.png

1706961600-qH6y2p0OxE8.png

If the NA was more favorable at this point, the overall h5 pattern would be more acceptable for our purposes despite the -PNA.  Not binary- we usually need more than just this or that - rather a blend- to increase snow chances.

• Like 4

Couple random thoughts. I always talk about personalities of winters in a broad sense. At this point, this winter has spoken to me. It simply doesn't want to snow much up and down the east coast. Different reasons at different times but same result. North of us is suffering bad and that isn't the elephant. It's just repeating endless crappy tracks and/or setups when it matters. If you zoom out and look at the continent, our Mid-Atlantic problems are just a slice of the bigger issues plagueing the east. 

Will that change? Will Feb deliver? Beats me but my gut instinct is it probably won't up and down the coast. Feel pretty good about additional snowfall here in Feb. Might get a big one. But imho, the east as a whole is going to have a hard time doing a 180 and going on a heater. We turned on a dime in 2015 but north of us was already on an epic heater and snowfall to our NW was plentiful.

Nobody (except our little slice) up and down 95 has had any kind of heater so far. Sometimes it's just the breaks and that's what this feels like to me. Things aren't breaking right in a broad sense and that's just the way it goes. 

Upcoming pattern looks to be another temp reset which is normal in any January. Now it's looking more like a problem than a break though. We had a long stretch of broad AN heights in Canada in Dec. Ens guidance agrees on another period of that. The longer that pattern holds, the longer it will take to reset. We'll prob see the way out within a week but hard to say what that looks like yet. Guidance has completely dropped the well placed epo/pna ridge idea for now. A +pna and neutral NAO is enuff to snow in Feb. A big +nao can only "easily" be offset with a big ridge out west and perfect trough axis in the east. I'd like to think a +pna takes over for a while at some point in Feb. The idea has drifted but can most certainly snap back. 

I'm not making any predictions or spiking anything. It could turn and rip for 6 straight weeks up and down 95. But it tuff to expect that at this point. I'll just get real happy if it does but until the personality switches, it's hard to bet against it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Goofy ass evolution that will never happen, but 6z gfs gets it done Jan 30-31

It is odd but hints are there on the ensembles. It's the only window where there is anything of interest outside of another mild/rainy period- flood threat maybe?

• Like 3