• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cold Shot: Part Duex - January 18-20th Arctic Blast and Freezing Rain/Snow Event

John1122

I've had snow showing up on radar for a few hours, some look like heavier showers, but I see nothing out of my window? It was flurrying at the onset but nothing since. What would cause this? Sorry if this is an amateur question lol

2 minutes ago, BuCoVaWx said:

I've had snow showing up on radar for a few hours, some look like heavier showers, but I see nothing out of my window? It was flurrying at the onset but nothing since. What would cause this? Sorry if this is an amateur question lol

Virga maybe

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Hopefully, but it's about gone until any NW flow might happen. It was odd that 30 degrees today felt warm. 

Still think you can get some more snow.The inverted trough that helped with the warm nose,the cold front is stationary,we could get a few flakes here maybe but seems to me the higher elevations could get something,wont be much but it seems to me you could squeeze maybe a tenth or so before it done.That map is a hour old

Latest-SPC-U-S-Composite-Map.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Still think you can get some more snow.The inverted trough that helped with the warm nose,the cold front is stationary,we could get a few flakes here maybe but seems to me the higher elevations could get something,wont be much but it seems to me you could squeeze maybe a tenth or so before it done.That map is a hour old

Latest-SPC-U-S-Composite-Map.png

I hope so. I believe there's issues with getting moisture to the dgz because we shift back to drizzle when it's not coming down hard. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I hope so. I believe there's issues with getting moisture to the dgz because we shift back to drizzle when it's not coming down hard. 

It's that warm mid level layer. Heavier rates got through it and cooled that column. Apparently the waa stopped so, that midlayer is cooling with the mixing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Went outside, got a thin glaze of ice on the car. Probably will keep me home tomorrow. Pretty impressed with how widespread the freezing rain is.

Yeah, Hrrr got it partially right. Basically a blend of RGEM and it tonight. Hrrr had all freezing rain for here this evening. The RGEM all snow. We've had both. 

• Like 2

Disappointed to say that I have had a couple of brief showers of freezing rain. It wasn't a downpour, but the drops were heavy and it was a moderate rainfall. I expected drizzle or maybe light rain briefly, but this is more than I anticipated. I have had drizzle in between the moderate showers. I heard what sounded like a brief period of sleet. It's nasty out. 

I have no idea how to measure ice, but it is a much thicker than a light glaze. Dog slipped going out. It has consistently been 31, but I am sure the ground is much colder. 

A cool little element from this weather is due to some melting from sun in cold temps and the freezing rain, I have some rather sick looking icicles hanging off the house. I swear one of them is closing in on 3 feet. Gonna have to measure tomorrow. 

Anyway, stay safe y'all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Jesse from KY said:

In Northern Bell County, we've had some light snow the last while. It's tapered off now, though.

Could we see another surge before the night is over? Current temp: 32F

I would think you'll get some upslope from this. Maybe an inch or two but don't hold me to that. 

• Mr Bob featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic