Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

1 minute ago, tnweathernut said:

Not sure that was all it was. That didn’t help.  Timing for us has been terrible. We did make it to the upper 20s around our region by daybreak.  Just couldn’t stay there with the warming of the day and a slight downslope off the mountains.  I didn’t think it would happen, but remember leaving a post saying I never totally discount it around here.

For sure it wasn't the only thing....something pushed the warm air across the valley from east to west.  That I don't know for sure what mechanism caused it.  I tend to think downslope, but it may just be that TRI takes longer to get colder w/ east to west cold fronts.

Definitely the hardest snow of the day...right at 4" east of Kingsport. Lots of melting today with the temps, as Carver described. Thanks to everyone for the great analysis and reports, especially the folks in north Knoxville area. My son now lives just off Tazewell Pike, so those reports were very helpful!

• Like 4

As the pressure has started to rise, the 850s can start pulling back south. Add in the rates able to tap that, time of day it's occurring, downslope winds starting to ease up and switch..and you have a great recipe. Look at the time stamps of the valley PWS coinciding with everyone posting how goose feathers have picked up.

• Like 3

It seems like this system is in no hurry to move it's been snowing for 24 hrs plus and still could snow till 2 am according to the future cast on tv .
Looks like it's stalled out neither low on this app has moved for hrs.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

3ae231fb0d790afb0aa6c8f38560f2f2.jpg

• Like 1

One of the tricks it may be up to, is Lee are notorious for being under modeled 6+ hours out on precip. If it hangs around as CAMs suggest tonight, could be interesting for everyone.

I was looking at the HRRR sim earlier and towards the end of the system you could see the precip in the southern Valley up against the foothills start drifting more north back into the valley like a little wave developed or something. I haven’t looked in a while though.

6 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

One of the tricks it may be up to, is Lee are notorious for being under modeled 6+ hours out on precip. If it hangs around as CAMs suggest tonight, could be interesting for everyone.

When is the Lee side low supposed to form?

Just now, BhamParker said:

NWS has around an inch in my grid tonight. After looking at all models and the radar, I think 4+ is an easy bet. It’s going nuts right now and radar shows nothing to stop it.

I am thankful not to be in their shoes this evening.  LOL.  It is literally raining on one side of Kingsport a the moment and heavy snow on the other.  That is a difference of about 7-10 miles.  Good luck in the Burg!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

I am thankful not to be in their shoes this evening.  LOL.  It is literally raining on one side of Kingsport a the moment and heavy snow on the other.  That is a difference of about 7-10 miles.  Good luck in the Burg!!!

Saw somebody on twitter mentioning a similar scenario in Blount county. 

• Like 1

It’s truly goose feather flakes right now. If I could post a video. They are HUGE. It’s all turning white so fast

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic