Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

I wouldn't even call it warmer lol..small Zone of 33-34 temps between the 925-850 layer..dps are really low, so could be end up as virga until it saturates (which the wet bulb is 99.5% below freezing). Valley is like a tub..cold faucet needs turned on for a minute to push the warm out or saturate it long enough to turn cold.

Tellico, you really seem like you might have a red tag in your past(met).  

• Like 2

What Tellico is mentioning is different IMO.  I lived in JC for five years as well - love the upslope events!  It isn't really a downslope.  It is banking warm air up against the Apps as it gets pushed across the valley.  Amazing modeling can even model that TBH.  

But since we are not dealing with sinking air, it would be much easier to overcome with rate driven dynamics IMO.

12 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

What Tellico is mentioning is different IMO.  I lived in JC for five years as well - love the upslope events!  It isn't really a downslope.  It is banking warm air up against the Apps as it gets pushed across the valley.  Amazing modeling can even model that TBH.  

8 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I can’t remember the date of this storm but (maybe 2017-2019) it feels like this outcome could be a similar situation. It was a snow/rain/snow forecast for the valley, heavy snow on the plateau with mostly rain in the foothills because of downsloping. The warm nose made it to I-40 in Knoxville up against the mountains but did not make it any further NW. I ended up with over 8”. The thought was we had a little CAD up against the eastern slopes of the Plateau that backed up into the valley. John got blasted that event. I remember watching the temps rise as the day went on. Gatlinburg was low 40’s, Knoxville made it to 35° but I stayed below 30. One of those rare times when the cold air won out in the valley.

Not sure if this is the same or different mechanism, but this was the one storm I was thinking about. I remember my parents got blasted in Anderson County, backed up against the plateau and I got nada in JC. lol 

• Like 2

18z on left and 12z on right.  The SE trend on modeling has stopped for the most part.  That fits previous winter storm tracking.  With 24-36 hours to go, that is pretty much normal.  Remember that trends are what are important on deterministic runs as well.   It is good to compare the current run to previous ones.   Notice the eastern edge of precip has been curtailed.  Again, I do suspect the jet is enhancing precip over the eastern valley.  Some of the off runs(not 12z or 0z) are beefing up precip amounts.  If a storm is gonna be a good one, precip will start to increase as modeling gets closer to the even, because they can't catch up.  Time to watch for that trend.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-13_at_4.55.55_PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

But since we are not dealing with sinking air, it would be much easier to overcome with rate driven dynamics IMO.

Unless there is a lee side slp in western NC which has been on some recent runs.  Then there would be sinking air.  However, sometimes a lee side isn't bad.........We have been known to develop lows over TRI during systems like this, and it enhances precip.  So many moving parts at a micro level.  

I do agree that if the cold air gets over the Plateau, there is very little to stop it from quickly reaching the base of the Apps.  I would guess most modeling is struggling with the strength of the cold air and under-doing how far it get into the SE.  Tellico had a great explanation.

• Like 4

This little corridor has been showing up a big winner across multiple model runs here and there, and of course on the RGEM over and over again.  I hate to even bring it up because I am in it.

Screenshot_20240113_170535.jpg

• Like 5

In the past I would watch that sort of slosh of cool and warm blobs either from CAA or Downsloping & WAA depending on the situation on Wunderground PWS map full screen to see as much of the valley as possible at once. Very fun thing to see those pools slosh back and forth before mixing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PowellVolz said:

Anyone else feel like there’s an opportunity for someone in the valley to over perform?

Not quite there yet, but chance (maybe). What's something else that has to get pushed out? The low level moisture that also banks up to the mountains. Sometimes it gets pinched and trapped, especially across NE TN and Central foothills. Lucky to pick that up on modeling 12-24 hrs out.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The GFS starts out the same as the hi-res models but narrows the QPF field way more than they do as the run wears on. Not sure why that is.

Resolution issue...Globals have a hard time picking up low level moisture as time goes out...kinda like how the precip shield will typically fill in on the NW side on a LP as the event gets closer.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

18z GFS stays south but anemic

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

5c07f5ab777058fb5e6df167310a2a97.jpg

Theme of the day: It depends, haha. One thing I can appreciate with these threats: For west/middle TN, the microclimatology is relatively less complex compared to east TN. Plenty of secondhand learning with many on here on or east of the plateau. That’s a silver lining when these threads emerge.

P.S. The ICON from earlier was only mentioned in passing for having the most coast to coast purple. In Union City traveling today and my car is already white from the salt, lol. 

• Like 3

Not quite there yet, but chance (maybe). What's something else that has to get pushed out? The low level moisture that also banks up to the mountains. Sometimes it gets pinched and trapped, especially across NE TN and Central foothills. Lucky to pick that up on modeling 12-24 hrs out.

That’s a great point. The exact flow or stream of moisture (direction) would probably determine which micro climates could come into play.

• Like 1

I'm worried about mixing in Sevier County. RGEM, ICON, HRRR, NAM, NAM3K, even the 18z GFS show a possibility of this. Really want a FV3 type of solution with all snow, but am afraid that possibility is beginning to fade. Still a lot of time for change, but after so many disappointing winters/setups, I am greedy for snow. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Resolution issue...Globals have a hard time picking up low level moisture as time goes out...kinda like how the precip shield will typically fill in on the NW side on a LP as the event gets closer.

Maybe a dumb question, but is low level moisture impacted by ground moisture? I just say this because I remember some time ago reading about it, but forget the exact science behind it. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic