• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

The easy way to spot feedback on the NAM is to find where it goes crazy w/ precip and/or snowfall.  Notice that 12z has been softened a bit in E KY, and the line of precip appropriately moved southward in response.  But...it is still amped there.  Good trends for E TN.

• Thanks 2

3k is a more robust version of it's 12z run. Tons of mixing issues in the far eastern areas. 

12k is decently SE of it's 12z run and has more qpf. Knox County is a battle ground on there with snow and freezing rain.

I wouldn't be shocked if the SE trend continues. The map is very similar to the SRF mean map.

• Like 1

Just now, Tucker1027 said:

I feel Chattanooga might get the shaft on this one… nothing new tho

Maybe, but don't base that on a the NAM which is possibly dealing w/ feedback issues.  RGEM should roll in a minute.  The NAM was so amped it tried to bring a slp into the Apps - only the CMC from a few days ago had that.  Could it happen?  Sure.  But for now, no other model has anything even remotely close to its recent solutions.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

Maybe, but don't base that on a the NAM which is possibly dealing w/ feedback issues.  RGEM should roll in a minute.  The NAM was so amped it tried to bring a slp into the Apps - only the CMC from a few days ago had that.  Could it happen?  Sure.  But for now, no other model has anything even remotely close to its recent solutions.  

I thought the RGEM and Euro both popped a less side low in SW NC.  I figured this was the root cause of thermals getting screwed up in NE TN.

The battle continues. Not sure I’ve ever seen such a contrast between the global models and the hi resolution models. I already feel like the forum has laid the premise for what will be a fascinating case study when all is said and done. 

• Like 2

If the RGEM is still south along w/ the SE jog by the NAM, I am close to saying the NAM is an extreme NW outlier.  And the NAM is known for exactly that.  Once inside of 36 hours, the NAM flattens.  Closer it gets to 48, the more it amps and turns northeast.  All eyes on the 18z RGEM which is just now running.  

• Like 3

NAM seems a little off this setup. We got the gentle isentropic upglide we all been wishing for since 2015.

Energy for our system is just getting onshore in the Pac NW. Looks like the 18Z NAM is a little south (John, Carvers posts above) and the NAM will get more of the Pac NW wave on the 00Z run. Hopefully the NAM will settle in with the Globals.

I'm cautiously optimist about Chattanooga. Cold air should be in place. A brief mix is possible due to low level temps, but this feels like an all snow event. Energy sliding up from the Deep South with isentropic lift is hard for even KCHA to screw up. Fingers crossed

Little concern elsewhere. Looks like a gem coming for much of us!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

MEG:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON SUNDAY TO 6 AM CST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 6
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of East Arkansas, North Mississippi and West
  Tennessee.

* WHEN...From noon Sunday to 6 AM CST Tuesday.
  • Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic