Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

1 minute ago, PowellVolz said:

I don’t blame her at all. However one thing I believe that would help the local weather people in these situations is to show the viewers more than one solution and explain the difference. At this range they could show more than one accumulation map.

It looked like earlier in the video she had some sort of a meteogram up with several model snowfall totals. 

• Like 1

18z NBM looks about right to me.  New run is on the left.  One last thing I will be watching on models is if they beef-up their qpf as El Nino systems are often under modeled.  Looks super similar to the HRRR.  But we need the Euro on board.  If that is right, there will be some spots w/ 10+" of snow.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-13_at_2.47.00_PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

18z NBM looks about right to me.  New run is on the left.  One last thing I will be watching on models is if they beef-up their qpf as El Nino systems are often under modeled.  Looks super similar to the HRRR.  But we need the Euro on board.  If that is right, there will be some spots w/ 10+" of snow.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-13_at_2.47.00_PM.png

Looks like the % of WPC this morning,they show parts of the Cumberland getting smacked

I just don't buy the thermals of NAM and end of HRRR. The mechanisms for that just isn't there unless this is going to become a major Gulf storm. The only thing in East that might affect Thermals would be downsloping, but even that I just can't see being supercharged. The flow just isn't that great over the mountains to push temps way up. East should sink deep into the 20's and Teens Monday morning clouds socked in before daybreak. Without a strong Gulf storm, without strong flow over the mountains it just doesn't make sense to me that thermals go into torch mode as the end of the short-range models are suggesting. Not wish casting just don't see the fundamentals for an Eastern torch.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Looks like feedback. But....that run is loaded for eastern areas if extrapolated IMHO.  The gravy train was just getting started here.

Yeah, it wasn't that bad at all. That warm air is at the end is also at peak sunlight hours. I imagine as the sun sets the cold ploughs ahead just fine. Most of the east is below freezing regardless. 

I will take the precip the HRRR is selling and roll the dice with artic air nearby. 

• Like 1

We take this 10/10 times.  Stalled front w/ overrunning precip from the SW.  Yes, E TN does warm, but probably in response to precip flooding into the eastern valley.  The cold to the northwest keeps is frozen. In reality, it would be tough for downsloping to win w/ this setup.  The lift against the Apps would cancel it out.  I should note...most great winter storms have mixing issues even in places which get the most snow.  

Screen_Shot_2024-01-13_at_2.56.22_PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Yeah, it wasn't that bad at all. That warm air is at the end is also at peak sunlight hours. I imagine as the sun sets the cold ploughs ahead just fine. Most of the east is below freezing regardless. 

I will take the precio the HRRR is selling and roll the dice with artic air nearby. 

In the eastern valley, we don't want the fetch of moisture too far to the East when in the Gulf States.  We have all seen how that works out.  Having that fetch a little more to the southwest is not a bad thing w/ that set-up on the HRRR.  

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic