• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

12Z GEFS big picture in more ways than one: classic split flow has been showing for this period for weeks. This is about as good a look as I’ve seen in recent years this far out. Ingredients are there. But will they mix right? That’s always the tough part for the SE, especially.

IMG_9092.thumb.png.e895880f3021a9672d111770c43a5d42.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

It's dry 

Nope, especially 2/17-20.

From 12Z GEFS outside of the mountains 2/15-20:

-21 of 30 members have wintry precip in NC.

-13 have it in GA including 8 central and/or south

-11 have it in SC including 7 in south

-3 have it in N FL

-6 have ZR and/or IP included, including part or all of the 2 of the 3 in N FL

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Nope, especially 2/17-20.

From 12Z GEFS outside of the mountains 2/15-20:

-21 of 30 members have wintry precip in NC.

-13 have it in GA including 8 cent and/or south

-11 have it in SC including 7 in south

-3 have it in N FL

-6 have ZR and/or IP included, including 2 of the 3 in N FL

Other ENS are dry including the Canadian

IMG_3092.png.99ad6ca9e513feeaffbff5ff6601478d.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Other ENS are dry including the Canadian

IMG_3092.png.99ad6ca9e513feeaffbff5ff6601478d.png

-The Canadian ens map you’re showing has near normal precip (white area) for that 5 day period. Near normal is neither wet nor dry in NC in mid Feb.

-1/2 of the members have snow in NC outside of the mtns

-4 of the 20 (20%) have widespread 3”+ snowfall, all including heaviest of 6”+, in NC.

-A good number of the wet members in NC have no wintry outside of the mountains.

-2 of the 20 (10%) have wintry as far south as N FL.

I haven’t yet had a chance to look at the EPS.

• Like 2

12Z EPS:

-Unlike the GEFS/GEPS and although there are some wet members, there are many dry members and thus the mean is dry/BN in the SE. But keep in mind that it ends 24 hours earlier though it is drier through 2/19 for sure.

-Although there are a good number of very cold members, they are balanced by a good number of mild members late in the period. Thus, the mean is warmer than both of the GEFS and GEPS late in the period with the cold temps warming to mainly near normal temperatures by the end of the period.

-Unlike the GEFS/GEPS means of above average snowfall in NC, the EPS has BN/little snow.

So to summarize my posts regarding the 12Z ensembles for SE wintry precip potential Feb 15-19/20, the GEFS and GEPS means have AN snowfall and cold whereas the EPS mean is drier with BN snow and less cold temps late. Going to be lots of fun to see how this plays out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, GaWx said:

12Z EPS:

-Unlike the GEFS/GEPS and although there are some wet members, there are many dry members and thus the mean is dry/BN in the SE. But keep in mind that it ends 24 hours earlier though it is drier through 2/19 for sure.

-Although there are a good number of very cold members, they are balanced by a good number of mild members late in the period. Thus, the mean is warmer than both of the GEFS and GEPS late in the period with the cold temps warming to mainly near normal temperatures by the end of the period.

-Unlike the GEFS/GEPS means of above average snowfall in NC, the EPS has BN/little snow.

So to summarize my posts regarding the 12Z ensembles for SE wintry precip potential Feb 15-19/20, the GEFS and GEPS means have AN snowfall and cold whereas the EPS mean has BN snow and less cold temps. Going to be lots of fun to see how this plays out.

It's not going to be fun lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, LakeNormanStormin said:

I've reached the acceptance phase.

Bring on the severe weather storm chasing!

Mother Nature owes me a waterspout that just hovers over Lake Norman and harms no one and destroys nothing.

Honestly the stages of winter grief chart has been the most accurate thing posted on the forum this year

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Leesville Wx Hawk said:

I’m willing to wait a bit myself.  Operationals are all over the place while the Ensembles and weeklies have been consistent with the pattern turning more conducive towards wintry possibilities.

Our area has another window coming up after that it's a crap shoot for sure

• Weenie 1