• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

We’re back to thoughts and prayers status for this winter. I get it I agree, pattern looks great on LR. But it’s about to be mid February when it does and we know what happens here with climo and everything else. When it was apparent we’d be punting 4 weeks I think most understood the writing was on the wall 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, JoshM said:

0z GFS came north a lot, but it's too warm. 540s up in Pennsylvania.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_31.png

The further north track and warming from recent GEFS runs to the 0Z GEFS is similar to the 0Z op GFS. The source of cold to the north in advance is much warmer than in recent runs.

7 hours ago, GaWx said:

The further north track and warming from recent GEFS runs to the 0Z GEFS is similar to the 0Z op GFS. The source of cold to the north in advance is much warmer than in recent runs.

The idea of there being much less cold air to the north in advance of any storm on the 0Z GFS suite was also on the 0Z Euro suite vs its 12Z run as well as on the 6Z GFS suite. Not a good trend on these last two GFS suites or the 0Z Euro suite for SE wintry prospects as they’re too warm. They’re going to need to reverse course or else that would be all she wrote for SE wintry prospects from this system.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OTOH I just saw that the 0Z ICON was much colder than its 12Z run along with some snow and similar to the cold 18Z and prior GFS runs. (For whatever reason, the extended portion didn’t come out until much later.) This is very much a fwiw and I‘m not buying it considering the trend of the 0Z Euro and 0Z/6Z GFS suites, which will need to reverse course to revive any significant non-mountain SE wintry prospects from this storm.

• Like 1

A weaker/further north HP and the storm track is ideal but too warm at the surface. A stronger HP and it's cold enough but too far south. We kinda gotta hope that modeling is just not putting all the possible scenarios on the table right now.

FWIW the GEFS mean is showing a bit of CAD. That may be our only path to frozen. Which would depend on a relatively weak HP, but the low in Atlantic Canada needs to be strong enough and in an ideal spot

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

The idea of there being much less cold air to the north in advance of any storm on the 0Z GFS suite was also on the 0Z Euro suite vs its 12Z run as well as on the 6Z GFS suite. Not a good trend on these last two GFS suites or the 0Z Euro suite for SE wintry prospects as they’re too warm. They’re going to need to reverse course or else that would be all she wrote for SE wintry prospects from this system.

The trough is too far northeast. The lack of cold air is alarming much like December again. It's going to take time to cool North America back down. We were punting until Mid Feb anyways right?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The trough is too far northeast. The lack of cold air is alarming much like December again. It's going to take time to cool North America back down. We were punting until Mid Feb anyways right?

The 6Z EPS continues the 0Z Euro suite trend toward a further NE trough/less cold air available for this storm.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

OTOH I just saw that the 0Z ICON was much colder than its 12Z run along with some snow and similar to the cold 18Z and prior GFS runs. (For whatever reason, the extended portion didn’t come out until much later.) This is very much a fwiw and I‘m not buying it considering the trend of the 0Z Euro and 0Z/6Z GFS suites, which will need to reverse course to revive any significant non-mountain SE wintry prospects from this storm.

Here's the 0Z ICON clown, which I'd obviously love to verify with its 3" of snow imby (would be biggest snow since Dec of 1989) but am not at all buying now considering how much warmer are the GFS/Euro suites, the general inferiority of this model vs those, how much colder this run is vs yesterday's 12Z ICON, it still being out a week, and the extreme rarity of snows like this here:

012924IconDeepSEsnow.png.211d3625dd2dc0394c8ae2d0884d9862.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Here's the 0Z ICON clown, which I'd obviously love to verify with its 3" of snow imby (would be biggest snow since Dec of 1989) but am not at all buying now considering how much warmer are the GFS/Euro suites, the general inferiority of this model vs those, how much colder this run is vs yesterday's 12Z ICON, it still being out a week, and the extreme rarity of snows like this here:

012924IconDeepSEsnow.png.211d3625dd2dc0394c8ae2d0884d9862.png

Are the weeklies still showing a good pattern or have they moderated too?

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Are the weeklies still showing a good pattern or have they moderated too?

The Weeklies clearly moderated over the weekend vs those with a stronger cold signal late last week. Also, there are some signs of can kicking of the start of the good pattern.

• Sad 1

Just now, GaWx said:

The Weeklies clearly moderated over the weekend vs those with a stronger cold signal late last week.

I'm still trying to hold out an ounce of hope for mid February but it's getting harder to be excited with all these teases from the ENS and now weeklies. A good pattern is always on the other side but you can never reach it..

• Like 1