Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

24 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

DT ALERT*: 

⚠️**ALERT  **   MAJOR CHANGES   AT 500mb ACROSS NORTH AMERICA  WILL END  MILD  PATTERN  MUCH SOONER THAN INTIALLY THOUGHT⚠️

...as I  said in the  Tuesday  edition of THIS WEEK IN WEEK ... this is  called  UNDERCUTTING 

... rare  PAMELA  ANDERSON  Pattern change ...

NEXT WEEK  things are looking VERY different  than what they appeared only 3-4 days  ago.  The 12z Models are showing some important changes.

…TENN VALLEY  southern Mid Atlantic  snowstorm  FEB 4-5?

https://x.com/wxrisksnowstorm/status/1750697773140255145?s=46&t=5ny5bPgiX5Vy3bQMvYTY5g

Regarding the bolded, that would just make the already frustrated NC folks that much madder as that’s exactly what happened in the middle of this month. The sanitarium thread would be overwhelmed!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Regarding the bolded, that would just make the already frustrated NC folks that much madder as that’s exactly what happened in the middle of this month. The sanitarium thread would be overwhelmed!

Why? DT and many other people include North Carolina into the definition of “southern Mid-Atlantic.” 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Hopefully the region would score and not just the mountains West. I know that is extremely frustrating. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

If you follow the ensembles they have cooled greatly just over the past few days.

Yeah, we have a couple things warring against the MJO Phase. SSW affects instigating blocking. The Central Pac( modoki area) Convection enhancing the STJ. Even though the MJO is in the western area this helps to counter it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Why? DT and many other people include North Carolina into the definition of “southern Mid-Atlantic.” 

But our SE subforum of AmericanWx has not only NC but also VA. So, even VA is included in many other cases as SE, not mid Atlantic. Some do count VA as being in the southern Mid Atlantic. If DT’s considering NC as S Mid Atlantic, he’s off imo.

The link below has VA in pink, which it is calling S Mid Atlantic:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yeah, we have a couple things warring against the MJO Phase. SSW affects instigating blocking. The Central Pac( modoki area) Convection enhancing the STJ. Even though the MJO is in the western area this helps to counter it. 

The MJO hasn't really fully Bern a dominant factor this season.  Been lot's of talk but we've had an eclectic number of pattern drivers throughout the season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GaWx said:

But our SE subforum of AmericanWx has not only NC but also VA. So, even VA is included in many other cases as SE, not mid Atlantic. Some do count VA as being in the southern Mid Atlantic. If DT’s considering NC as S Mid Atlantic, he’s off imo.

The link below has VA in pink, which it is calling S Mid Atlantic:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)

I know how this forum breaks down geography. But DT didn’t post this on this forum. Although it’s hotly debated, many consider NC part of the Mid-Atlantic. It’s even been debated here for years, but that’s not an invitation to revisit that debate. 

1 minute ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

I know how this forum breaks down geography. But DT didn’t post this on this forum. Although it’s hotly debated, many consider NC part of the Mid-Atlantic. It’s even been debated here for years, but that’s not an invitation to revisit that debate. I posted that because of the substantive analysis by DT.

42 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

I know how this forum breaks down geography. But DT didn’t post this on this forum. Although it’s hotly debated, many consider NC part of the Mid-Atlantic. It’s even been debated here for years, but that’s not an invitation to revisit that debate. 

I just went to DT’s site and sure enough I see he has NC in what he calls the Mid Atlantic region. So, NC can now relax since he’s including it for wintry potential lol.

He has DE as the most N state in the M.A. and excludes NJ, PA, and NY, which are normally included. I’ll just say that his definition of M.A. is highly unusual in that it is centered much further S than in any other case I’ve seen it used.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

This is correct. DT considers the northern 1/3 of NC as being in the Mid-Atlantic.

https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk/posts/983420895038502

The WPC includes all of NC. 

us_bndrys1_print.gif?fbclid=IwAR28iCWYrV

DT actually includes all of NC as Mid-Atlantic. For example, Charlotte is included. Also, I didn’t know that WPC includes NC in it. What a difference in what they consider SE vs what the SE includes here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GaWx said:

DT actually includes all of NC as Mid-Atlantic. For example, Charlotte is included. Also, I didn’t know that WPC includes NC in it. What a difference in what they consider SE vs what the SE includes here.

DT isn't always consistant, so I'm not surprised that he has conflicting definitions of what he considers to be the Mid-Atlantic. In the Facebook post I linked to he defines it this way: "So to answer the question directly when we say that term MIDDLE ATLANTIC REGION wxrsk is referring to the northern third of North Carolina ...all of Virginia - except maybe the Southeast corner-- the eastern half OF West Virginia... All of Maryland & Delaware ...all of New Jersey and most of Pennsylvania ... the southern third of New York State... NYC & Long Island."

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

DT isn't always consistant, so I'm not surprised that he has conflicting definitions of what he considers to be the Mid-Atlantic. In the Facebook post I linked to he defines it this way: "So to answer the question directly when we say that term MIDDLE ATLANTIC REGION wxrsk is referring to the northern third of North Carolina ...all of Virginia - except maybe the Southeast corner-- the eastern half OF West Virginia... All of Maryland & Delaware ...all of New Jersey and most of Pennsylvania ... the southern third of New York State... NYC & Long Island."

Indeed, at this link, DT’s quite different:

https://wxrisk.com/operational-weather-forecasts/

The Middle Atlantic Operational Forecast includes coverage for the next two weeks. It is an all-purpose forecast that covers:

• West Virginia
  • North Carolina
  • Virginia
  • Maryland
  • Delaware
  • Like 3

Easy to tell that the 00z and 06z runs were less then exciting.  My recollection is that DT stated he considered N NC as part of the southern mid-atlantic region.  I did a Google search for "mid atlantic region" and went to images.  Most run from VA up to NY.  However, there is certainly some variance - even TN made one map (from some doctor's group).  The first image is from Wikipedia.  So I'd say there's nothing set in stone as to where the borders for the mid atlantic region is.  However, I beleive DT has clearly stated what he refers to as the southern extent of the mid atlantic.  I'm not sure where he says the northern boundary is, but I don't really care as well. 

image.png.db08ba409610dc58aeb88f133d99ef93.pngimage.png.a98ea3b25bf707d5a5914204b6dd37f7.pngimage.jpeg.22a80348926fe33ac63444a8c7e379f7.jpegMid-Atlantic Region | National Association of District Export Councils

14 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

The fact this forum is debating geographic regions instead of analyzing digital blue today is telling…

We're analyzing long range patterns in prime climo while I'm sitting at 65 degrees.  How about you?  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Some good news on the 12z GFS. The little disturbance dropping down from the lakes right at the start of Feb tries spark off a coastal low. The disturbance has been consistently modeled but the coastal re-development hasn't been as much. This run brings some precip into the Piedmont. As far as snow, it is borderline but not impossible.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Some good news on the 12z GFS. The little disturbance dropping down from the lakes right at the start of Feb tries spark off a coastal low. The disturbance has been consistently modeled but the coastal re-development hasn't been as much. This run brings some precip into the Piedmont. As far as snow, it is borderline but not impossible.

Yeah it's definitely quite warm at the surface right now but if the coastal can get going it's got a shot. Problem is these late blooming coastals have been slow to develop and supressed all winter.

• Like 1

The 12Z GEFS run suggests a good chance for no more widespread multiple day warmth for quite awhile in the bulk of the SE (including NC/VA lol) after this weekend. We’ll see though as ensemble means smooth out extremes due to timing differences. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are still a couple of warm ones sneaking in during Feb 1-10 before the hoped change to more sustained BN soon after.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Look at this.. even if it doesn't snow in the next few weeks this weird pattern is going to be something to behold

prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus (4).png

The storms undercutting the ridge up north is going to bring us something.  I mean the jet is going to be bringing in a ton of moisture. Heck we just need a thread the needle type storm.

• Like 1