• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

5 minutes ago, GaWx said:

1. I’ve got my flame-proof suit on! Take the following new (1/24) EW maps with a HUGE grain. They may end up way off like the late Dec/early Jan runs. They’re far from trustworthy.

2. So, fwiw, the last 3 weeks of the run are each the coldest yet of their respective weeks. Even though they’re not even close to being trustworthy, I still prefer seeing them with BN dominating and like seeing the cold signal strengthening, especially since El Niño climo would support it.

Feb 12-19: only 1 close to this cold is 1/21 run:

IMG_8990.thumb.webp.4e174e0e7987d60cd331d0b6b6fde79e.webp

Feb 19-26: by far coldest run going back 2 weeks

IMG_8991.thumb.webp.cb91240ecd98191bffda76e91821a781.webp 

Feb 19-26 precip: ~1” ATL, 1.5” Gainesville, FL

IMG_8993.thumb.webp.e13b5627279520ae342e9a163bbff5a7.webp

This would definitely line up with what the ensembles are show for sure.

• Like 2

I realize the 6Z GFS is a cold outlier and thus of course don't buy it, but fwiw it only barely gets RDU to just over 50 only one day after Jan 28. IF it were to somehow verify closely and considering the cold potential of mid to late Feb, the chances for the coldest SE US Feb overall since 2015 would be greatly increased. That was during another El Nino.

• Like 2

Eric Webb:  

I’m still not buying the idea of a “torch” in early Feb over much of the Eastern US. 

Although we are getting a jet extension here, the southward shift of the Pacific Jet favors undercutting of the Canadian Ridge, keeping temps more seasonable east and south of the Great Lakes….

I still can’t quite figure out where the “true" beginning of spring lies in the longer-term over the Eastern US

Even out to near the middle of March, we still might be stuck in this -NAO/east-southeastern US trough-type look. 

Imho, once we get past next week's Pacific Jet extension, we're in it for the long haul.”

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

6z developed a nice stout PNA ridge near the end in response to the Aleutian low. And 12z has a trough stuck west of the Rockies with a central pacific ridge. Fantasy land so it doesn't matter but it at least shows us the features we need to be looking for. Decent north Atlantic blocking looks like a given, but as always which way will the pacific go?

The 12Z GEFS by a good margin has the lowest H5 hts, the coldest 850 mb/2M temperatures, and the heaviest qpf in the SE of any run to date for Feb 4-6. Unlike prior runs, it has many members with an E GOM low that then crosses the FL pen. To clarify, the run isn’t suggesting this would likely be cold enough for wintry precip. as the surface cold air supply is lacking. But it does suggest there’d likely be no warmth around this period if it were to verify.

18Z GEFS is similar to the 12Z

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

DT ALERT*: 

⚠️**ALERT  **   MAJOR CHANGES   AT 500mb ACROSS NORTH AMERICA  WILL END  MILD  PATTERN  MUCH SOONER THAN INTIALLY THOUGHT⚠️

...as I  said in the  Tuesday  edition of THIS WEEK IN WEEK ... this is  called  UNDERCUTTING 

... rare  PAMELA  ANDERSON  Pattern change ...

NEXT WEEK  things are looking VERY different  than what they appeared only 3-4 days  ago.  The 12z Models are showing some important changes.

…TENN VALLEY  southern Mid Atlantic  snowstorm  FEB 4-5?

https://x.com/wxrisksnowstorm/status/1750697773140255145?s=46&t=5ny5bPgiX5Vy3bQMvYTY5g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

DT ALERT*: 

⚠️**ALERT  **   MAJOR CHANGES   AT 500mb ACROSS NORTH AMERICA  WILL END  MILD  PATTERN  MUCH SOONER THAN INTIALLY THOUGHT⚠️

...as I  said in the  Tuesday  edition of THIS WEEK IN WEEK ... this is  called  UNDERCUTTING 

... rare  PAMELA  ANDERSON  Pattern change ...

NEXT WEEK  things are looking VERY different  than what they appeared only 3-4 days  ago.  The 12z Models are showing some important changes.

…TENN VALLEY  southern Mid Atlantic  snowstorm  FEB 4-5?

https://x.com/wxrisksnowstorm/status/1750697773140255145?s=46&t=5ny5bPgiX5Vy3bQMvYTY5g

The ensembles are catching onto this today as well. Doesn't look like an all out dumpster fire.  

• Like 1