Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its a global model, which will not resolve a cold tuck adequately....but you (should) know this-

He wasn't even posting about the cold tuck...he's posting about whether today's high will be 38F or 33F.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

He wasn't even posting about the cold tuck...he's posting about whether today's high will be 38F or 33F.

You guys are amazing. 

Hmmm - let's read what our machine is saying today. It's wrong today in a stable atmosphere; 6 hours out - BUT  it should be very accurate tomorrow and even more accurate when there's a storm. VERY reliable.

:clown:

• Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, jbenedet said:

You guys are amazing. 

Hmmm - let's read what our machine is saying today. It's wrong today in a stable atmosphere; 6 hours out - BUT  it should be very accurate tomorrow and even more accurate when there's a storm. VERY reliable.

This post reminds me of weenies years ago who would say the night before a storm "I'm already down to 25 degrees and the NAM said it would be 28F....this going to be a cold bust!!!", only for it not to matter because boundary layer mixing doesn't really affect anything happening aloft.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

2m temps usually are too cool with a mixed BL. Nothing really new there. But PSM hasn’t updated since the 25° at 15z so idk where you got 30°…unless you mean the NAM temp at 18z.  

Wunderground updates every 10/15min.  NWS temps will follow if they coincide with station location.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/nh/portsmouth

• Confused 2

This post reminds me of weenies years ago who would say the night before a storm "I'm already down to 25 degrees and the NAM said it would be 28F....this going to be a cold bust!!!", only for it not to matter because boundary layer mixing doesn't really affect anything happening aloft.

I was thinking the same, exact thing. Hey, I hope he is right...like I said, I want no part of ice.

What is his point -- cancel winter? why does he live in NH?

Just now, jbenedet said:

You guys are amazing. 

Pretty much. That’s how 2m verification usually works. Not warm enough with sun and mixing and not cold enough with rad cooling. But the NAM will nail the wedge with precip mid week. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Pretty much. That’s how 2m verification usually works. Not warm enough with sun and mixing and not cold enough with rad cooling. But the NAM will nail the wedge with precip mid week. 

Sounds like he thinks rains to Maines. Maybe he'll give a forecast.

Def an improvement on the GFS from previous runs. Still not quite enough for a big event in SNE but it does get advisory snows into CT/RI and maybe even low end warning for SW CT. Not a bad spot 6 days out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs is trying for the end of the month 

The 06z Op run was hilariously "cold" from 150 to the end of the run, it tries to sort of 03-04/04-05 the CONUS where basically only the immediate NE and E coast has any semblance of cold air or below normal temps but that is probably a pipe dream as far as things being that good for that stretch

That is an interesting evolution though. When is the last time we had mild temps followed by the infusion of arctic air into a storm? That's like one of those Colonial tales of yore lol. Thou was enjoying the day prior to a bitter tempest following thy day after. Cattle blown away and Jebediah's house doth lost its roof. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

Just now, CoastalWx said:

That is an interesting evolution though. When is the last time we had mild temps followed by the infusion of arctic air into a storm? That's like one of those Colonial tales of yore lol. Thou was enjoying the day prior to a bitter tempest following thy day after. Cattle blown away and Jebediah's house doth lost its roof. 

11/29/95 lol

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Def an improvement on the GFS from previous runs. Still not quite enough for a big event in SNE but it does get advisory snows into CT/RI and maybe even low end warning for SW CT. Not a bad spot 6 days out.

It’s not far from being a pretty good hit honestly. Not a bad spot indeed at this lead 

• Like 1