Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

actually as legitimate snow weenie LOL, I am pretty pissed tonight that Memphis TN will experience a true winter  on MLK way before us.  What do I mean?  The highs on Monday will be in the teens with snow 2-3 inches in memphis. Not alot of snow but dammit, the ratios will be so high with the extreme cold temps and it will be on the ground for days. What really gets me cranking as their overnight lows will be near zero on Monday night. Please make this f*&king rain go away. 15 inches of rain in less than 30 days enough.

You must be thrilled about the upcoming solid rain event Fri night into Sat.... 

56F/light rain

• Like 2

Ended up with 2.90" of rain here in East Nantmeal eclipsing the old mark of 1.66" set back in 1964. Still without power here in the township as I know many of you are in the same situation. Winds are still howling but at least sunshine has returned. The wind advisory is in place till 6pm this evening. Temps should stay pretty steady today. Unfortunately the dry weather will only last till Friday night when we see more rain (although a good deal less) arriving. Mild again on Friday but temps should start falling during the day Saturday with the potential for a little snow by Monday night into Tuesday.
Records for today: High 62 (1950) / Low -3 (1982) / Rain 1.06" (2016) / Snow 9.0" (1954)
image.png.3ce279eb7136fe475c60753300cb3c08.png

The drought guy here saying any chance of drought now will not return until late summer at the earliest. Personally if I see another 2-3 inch rainfall event after Saturday, I give up on winter LOL. I have measured nearly 15 inches of rain in less than 30 days at my domain.  To put that in perspective, that is almost 35% of our annual total rainfall in just 30 days with little to no evapotranspiration. That is 100% recharge  into the aquifers with unfrozen soils and what does not recharge is 100% runoff. All wells are at max levels and all impoundments for public water supply our at max for our area too. Any snow we get is a real plus now. Spring growth should be fantastic this year with blooming flowers  along with those who love to mow because the of all the free nitrogen in the rainfall. The grass will be  very green in Late March. 

I said in earlier posts that the third week of January (21st) would be the trigger. I am real close. The snow conveyor belt is about to begin as cold air is trying is dam hard to blow over the appalachians  mountains by the middle part of next week. If a clipper shoots down in our direction, we will get some of that polar air too to set up the parade of storms as the GOM is finally opening its doors after a 5+ year hiatus . Lets cross our fingers.

• Weenie 1

55 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Last time we had this 6 days out, it trended north over the coming days and LV got their solid storm. Watch this one do the opposite and it trends south so SNJ and DE get hit while 95 gets left high and dry. I'm half expecting it tbh.

Think we'll have some chances, little or large, starting next week till the end of the month. Temps look to be below average as well. Not frigid but good enough for any storm or popup moisture. Much better than last year which is stating the obvious...

44F/Gusty  

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Last time we had this 6 days out, it trended north over the coming days and LV got their solid storm. Watch this one do the opposite and it trends south so SNJ and DE get hit while 95 gets left high and dry. I'm half expecting it tbh.

18z GFS has mix in New Orleans and shreds the early week system..

Due to the non-diurnal temps post-storm, my "high" happened at 12:30 am and my "low" is my current temp of 45 (so far), with dp 32.  It was good to see the sun dry things out a bit but the ground is saturated and thanks to the winds today, there were lots of branches around, although not as bad as it probably could have been.  Was glad the power held!  Looks like Chester County had the biggest impact for power outages.

Power is still out in many spots including here in East Nantmeal. We should see some sun today before clouds start increasing again tomorrow ahead of another rainstorm. Rain arrives tomorrow evening after rush hour and will continue into Saturday. It looks like an unneeded 0.75" to 1.25" of rain are possible across the county. Much colder air with our pattern change arrives on Sunday and temps across some spots of the county may begin a stretch of temps failing to reach freezing for much of next week. There will also be a couple of chances of snow the first event possible late Monday into Tuesday and another one late in the week.
Records for today: High 67(1975) / Low -5 (1981) / Rain 1.19" (1924) / Snow 7.2" (1922)
image.png.85c4ac32b96a26043ff24320bc2c4363.png

12Z Euro :lol:

Actually, kind of odd seeing the UKMET and Euro not in agreement. Still, I'm not taking anything too seriously one way or the other before 12Z Saturday. Let's get cutter #2 off the field first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Big fan of the "smoke job"...

Overall, next week, we can't get screw out of a Birds win and shafted on snow...can we?

42F/Clear/Predicted low 29F

Are you forgetting where we live? :lol:

Curious to see if the 18Z Euro follows the 12Z or was it just a hiccup.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, JTA66 said:

Are you forgetting where we live? :lol:

Curious to see if the 18Z Euro follows the 12Z or was it just a hiccup.

Know it very well, playing mind games with myself. It's therapy.

Tell ya the the truth, I'm looking forward to Fri night/Sat rain/wind.....drought guy may flip out.

42F

30 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Know it very well, playing mind games with myself. It's therapy.

Tell ya the the truth, I'm looking forward to Fri night/Sat rain/wind.....drought guy may flip out.

42F

hell no I will not flip out. 1-2 inch rain is nothing now. a cakewalk. The major sewer lines in our area are fully surcharged and overflows are occuring from inflow from leaky pipes. This does not bode well for the municipalities of the Lehigh County. The township people today pulled the sewer lid out in front of my house and the pipe was full and it was not blocked after they jetted the collector line. Can you say the shit has already hit the fan with these rainfall amounts in the last 30 days?  Bring on the cold and snow , I am ready 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

hell no I will not flip out. 1-2 inch rain is nothing now. a cakewalk. The major sewer lines in our area are fully surcharged and overflows are occuring from inflow from leaky pipes. This does not bode well for the municipalities of the Lehigh County. The township people today pulled the sewer lid out in front of my house and the pipe was full and it was not blocked after they jetted the collector line. Can you say the shit has already hit the fan with these rainfall amounts in the last 30 days?  Bring on the cold and snow , I am ready 

Cold coming, snow still up for debate although I think we'll see some (minor) at the very least...

41F