• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

While yesterday was mild it was nowhere close to record levels. Today will again be almost 17 degrees above normal but again nowhere close to the records for today. Showers move in tonight and tomorrow before a share cold front crosses the area tomorrow night .
County wide records for the day: High 74 Honey Brook (1997) / Low 1 above at both Devault and West Chester (1963) / Rain 2.39" Devault (1958) / Snow 4.0" Phoenixville (1935)
image.png.e239a233639c8a91b6be15961dbf0a5e.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, and fellow snow weenies - if you ever have the chance, you really should make a trip out west to Mammoth. You won't regret it. I know I miss it:

Going to be some epic video in the coming days. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Reno NV
148 PM PST Mon Feb 26 2024

CAZ073-272315-
/O.CAN.KREV.WW.Y.0013.000000T0000Z-240227T1200Z/
/O.NEW.KREV.WS.A.0007.240229T1200Z-240303T1800Z/
Mono County-
Including the cities of Coleville, Lee Vining, Bridgeport, and
Mammoth Lakes

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions likely. Snow accumulations of 1 to 3
  feet for communities along Highway 395 with 3 to 6 feet along the
  Sierra Crest. Winds gusting as high as 70 mph in the lower
  elevations and above 100 mph over Sierra ridges.

* WHERE...Mono County.

* WHEN...From late Wednesday night through Sunday morning.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be impossible due to blizzard conditions.
  Very strong winds could cause extensive damage to trees and power
  lines.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Storms of this magnitude are rare and capable of closing major roads
and damaging power infrastructure for extended periods of time. Make
sure you have food, water, and a secondary heat source for more than
several days in your home in case of extended power outages. If you
must travel, do it before the storm arrives as travel may be
impossible once the storm arrives.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile - back here in Central PA, I found this on CTP's website:

URGENT - SPRING WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
10:08 AM EST Tue Feb 27 2024

Adams - Blair - Clearfield - Cumberland - Dauphin - Franklin - Lancaster - Lebanon - York
Including the cities of Carlisle - Cashtown - Clearfield - Harrisburg - Mount Joy - Lancaster - Lebanon - Maytown - Rouzerville - Summerdale - York

(this watch does not include Perry County, including the snowy hamlet of Marysville) 

...SPRING MOWING SEASON WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MARCH 3 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE...

* WHAT...Increasing likelihood of the 2024 mowing season commencing. Central PA residents are on notice that the mowing season may soon begin. 
         If mowing becomes likely and imminent, the watch will be upgraded to a warning. Residents of Maytown will likely experience mowing conditions first.

* WHERE...Much of Central PA.

* WHEN...From Sunday afternoon until further notice.

* IMPACTS...Grass heights could exceed 5" or more in areas susceptible to significant grass growth. 

Stock up on gas now for your lawn mower. Make sure that your equipment is safe to use and is greased and ready. Be alert for sudden rises in lawn growth, and take 

action once grass heights exceed 5". For residents of Marysville, blindly ignore this watch and focus on keeping your snow blowers gassed and ready. There is no emergency assistance in Perry County, so you are on your own if your grass starts growing while you're posting snow maps. 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Adams - Blair - Clearfield - Cumberland - Dauphin - Franklin - Lancaster - Lebanon - York
Including the cities of Carlisle - Cashtown - Clearfield - Harrisburg - Mount Joy - Lancaster - Lebanon - Maytown - Rouzerville - Summerdale - York

(this watch does not include Perry County, including the snowy hamlet of Marysville) 

...SPRING MOWING SEASON WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MARCH 3 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE...

* WHAT...Increasing likelihood of the 2024 mowing season commencing. Central PA residents are on notice that the mowing season may soon begin. 
         If mowing becomes likely and imminent, the watch will be upgraded to a warning. Residents of Maytown will likely experience mowing conditions first.

* IMPACTS...Grass heights could exceed 5" or more in areas susceptible to significant grass growth. 

Stock up on gas now for your lawn mower. Make sure that your equipment is safe to use and is greased and ready. Be alert for sudden rises in lawn growth, and take 

action once grass heights exceed 5". For residents of Marysville, blindly ignore this watch and focus on keeping your snow blowers gassed and ready. There is no emergency assistance in Perry County, so you are on your own if your grass starts growing while you're posting snow maps. 

top notch. i howled.

The John Deere is coming out Sunday for annual service and may make a pass to get #1 in. 

edit to add- i'm hanging a clipboard in the shed with a calendar for documentation purpose.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

LOL, they did not include Franklin either.   Must be a misprint above. Those recent frosts and the 1/4" of snow the other day have the grass siting back and relaxing until April. 

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

LOL, they did not include Franklin either.   Must be a misprint above. Those recent frosts and the 1/4" of snow the other day have the grass siting back and relaxing until April. 

Actually, the watch states that the effective date is from March 3rd until further notice. That further notice might be April for Franklin County. :) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I reported it here.  Mulch and grass topper.   Sat I think.

image.thumb.png.866c3505583d2060d3d10d3749c8daeb.png

Wow, sorry I missed that. Saturday must have been one of those "tales of 2 different weather days" between us - it was sunny/mostly sunny here with temps in the 40s. Nothing at all like what was forecast for most of last week. And as you mentioned, not windy either. It was downright nice in the sun on Saturday. 

Edit: Just checked my daily numbers and it was between 40 and 43 at home between 10am and 4pm. That's when the slide began in earnest. 

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Wow, sorry I missed that. Saturday must have been one of those "tales of 2 different weather days" between us - it was sunny/mostly sunny here with temps in the 40s. Nothing at all like what was forecast for most of last week. And as you mentioned, not windy either. It was downright nice in the sun on Saturday. 

Edit: Just checked my daily numbers and it was between 40 and 43 at home between 10am and 4pm. That's when the slide began in earnest. 

That area of snow which hit MJS in western PA clipped us as it went by to the south.   I also had FRZ that morning with a glaze forming on the mailbox and trees.    We did not have much sun here so that was probably a big reason for the temp difference.   The high was only 38 here. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, canderson said:

Big winds tmrw night. Gusts over 50 probably. I wonder if they do advisories or wind warnings. 

What is the criteria for an upgrade to a wind warning? CTP has roughly 25-low 30s sustained with gusts to upper 40s. I'd think if that played out it would be an advisory? 

33 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

15 to go for the record.  Crazy high 78 top holder. 

2018 - heat wave ended with a TOR warning for Maytown. We had severe experts from the overall forum in our thread discussing the significance of the threat that afternoon. Blizz and I got in an argument earlier in the week (event went down on a Saturday) where he said there was no way temps would reach the 60s let along the 70s...well, we almost made it to 80. It was humid, too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

2018 - heat wave ended with a TOR warning for Maytown. We had severe experts from the overall forum in our thread discussing the significance of the threat that afternoon. Blizz and I got in an argument earlier in the week (event went down on a Saturday) where he said there was no way temps would reach the 60s let along the 70s...well, we almost made it to 80. It was humid, too. 

It has actually reached 69 or higher more than 50% of days in Feb.     What may be even more surprising is that more that 25% of Jan days have reached it as well.   Today's record is from 1997 and the second warmest Feb day behind the one you speak of.    Between the 2 months only 3 days have never reached 60. 

image.png.7d85feef129d2becd087fd084bc7827b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

What is the criteria for an upgrade to a wind warning? CTP has roughly 25-low 30s sustained with gusts to upper 40s. I'd think if that played out it would be an advisory? 

Wind Advisory: sustained winds 31 to 39 mph, for better than 1 hour - and/or wind gusts 46 to 57 mph for any duration. High Wind Warning: sustained winds 40 mph or greater, for better than 1 hour - and/or wind gusts 58 mph or greater, for any duration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

I thiiiiink warnings require sustained in the 30s. 

Sustained >40mph and/or gusts 58mph or greater for a period greater than at least an hour. Yep I was ninja-ed haha.

Probably looking at advisories of the 50mph gust variety with this, outside of Cambria/Somerset which may have just enough for a warning. High res stuff doesn’t look extremely crazy. 850mb winds are only getting to the 45-55kt range overnight tomorrow after the frontal passage. 

• Like 1