Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

GFS and Icon did not have enough cold air to work with next weekend despite the low cutting across S VA on the GFS. 

Let me get my wife outside the day before to cool the atmosphere. Nothing colder than her shoulder when I'm around.

• Haha 3

I think PA south of 80 is in for a nice event here.  Obviously know the local climo, ridges and higher elevation zones will do better as usual.  Other than the typical upslope zones near the Laurels, I think there may be two max zones, one further north in Central PA with higher ratios where there is some enhanced lift along the arctic boundary where the moisture transport hits that brick wall...and one further south (south of 70) near the best FGEN and deeper moisture.  These two zones I could see 4-6 with local 8" totals.  In between probably a general 2-5" event.  

• Thanks 4

Back at 10:00 on NWS disco they seemed to indicate that WWA's were more likely in the current watch area.  We're only 7 hours away from the start and they haven't updated the watch.  I wonder if in the back office there is a war going on between METS on which decision to make??

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Bubbler86 @mitchnick @Coop_Mason

MU has high confidence in his map - congratulations!

Here you go, snowfans! I've released my Storm Outlook Map for tonight's #winterstorm. The track of this storm has been very consistent, so I have high confidence in my map. I expect a general 3-5" across the region with locally higher amounts of 6-7" in the heaviest bands..

My map for this.

1209984141_216snowmap.thumb.png.d400fc6f8a16b509dbfa94db0074df45.png

Tried to make a compromise in blends but perhaps on the bolder side. I anticipate CTP needing another tier or so of advisories in the central and upping at least the western half of the watches to warnings. 3-5” amounts should be common in the main swath. Big question is in or near the area I hashed. I was going to get cute and try to highlight two distinct areas but I’d probably need a bigger map. Any rate I feel the hashed area has the best chance to see an embedded swath of 5-6”+ and/or local totals of 6+. Best 700mb forcing is in there coupled with 700mb temps in the low minus teens. The fluff bomb potential is high with that. The southern Laurels will have that plus the benefit of some extra upslope forcing and colder surface temps.. hence the distinct 5-8” I anticipate there. The other snowfall max is probably somewhere in the northern Mid-Atl (northern VA/northern MD, where better 850mb forcing will be. That won’t yield the bigger ratios like the 700mb dynamics that should be residing in southern PA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

My map for this.

1209984141_216snowmap.thumb.png.d400fc6f8a16b509dbfa94db0074df45.png

Tried to make a compromise in blends but perhaps on the bolder side. I anticipate CTP needing another tier or so of advisories in the central and upping at least the western half of the watches to warnings. 3-5” amounts should be common in the main swath. Big question is in or near the area I hashed. I was going to get cute and try to highlight two distinct areas but I’d probably need a bigger map. Any rate I feel the hashed area has the best chance to see an embedded swath of 5-6”+ and/or local totals of 6+. Best 700mb forcing is in there coupled with 700mb temps in the low minus teens. The fluff bomb potential is high with that. The southern Laurels will have that plus the benefit of some extra upslope forcing and colder surface temps.. hence the distinct 5-8” I anticipate there. The other snowfall max is probably somewhere in the northern Mid-Atl (northern VA/northern MD, where better 850mb forcing will be. That won’t yield the bigger ratios like the 700mb dynamics that should be residing in southern PA. 

I appreciate your dedicated effort to extend the hash just far enough east to include me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2