• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Euro has bumped it’s swath north the last couple runs, matching more of a GFS type swath. The difference being the Sus Valley when comparing GFS v Euro accums.. and GFS is def not my go to if I have to use a global to determine snowfall in the Sus Valley. Euro is probably a better representation of what’s going to happen snow wise with its solution at 12z. 

12z vs 0z runs

image.thumb.png.2c5c4fea8999f8fd80740e0c723aa615.png

Stronger primary that pushes just a bit further north and keeps things aloft just a bit warmer. I’ve said or at least implied we don’t want to get this to being a longer period of rain to snow changeover event in the southern tier. It’s not the path to success for the Sus Valley with this (or even over here for that matter). Just commenting on the solutions at face value here. There’s not much of a consensus to be had for this cycle op wise. Cold NAM with forum wide snow, GFS/EURO with heaviest swath I-80 and north, UKMET with a southern slider that snows I-80 and south, Canadian with NOTHING, and der IKON so far north that plowable snow is NY border counties and north. 

• Like 1

Eps beyond Tuesday surprisingly encouraging.  Shame I'm having a hard time putting much faith in them after 3 runs in a row they had me between 4.5-5" for next week then cut that in half within 60hrs of the event...and despite having a decent % odds of getting 4" or more too. When will they ever adjust the models to not be so snow crazy? 

Gonna touch on the pattern a bit before happy hour. 

Still much to be determined second half of the month with continued wild variance on operational guidance. It seems forgotten by some how hard it is to hone in on things in a blocky pattern with a myriad of different features in a split flow. One thing that is showing persistently in the 6-10 day period is a hard dive in the EPO to significantly negative anomalies starting in the wake of our departing system Tuesday. With -NAO/AO and +PNA ongoing, this presents an opportunity to inject a cold shot into the pattern… which the Euro picks up on as well as the GFS to a lesser degree. That seems to center near the P-Day period, whether we can will the available southern stream system into PD3 or not. EPO neutralizes near 2/21-22. The pattern looks active storm-wise too in that Feb 15-25 realm. I think the only sure prediction is expect a lot of chaos trying to nail down individual features. I think at the least we get a cold period similar in length and anomalies to what we had in mid January. Big question there being of course whether or not we can carry a more consistent colder than average pattern into the first couple weeks of March. If I had to put numbers out for March (which I will be in about a week) I currently am leaning colder than average March overall with some opportunities, but that may come with another warm period in the pattern towards the beginning of the month. Just throwing some initial thoughts out. 

Ultimately,  I think things are still mostly on track with what I have personally posted about regarding the pattern this month. I expected a very warm front 10-14 days of the month since mid-late Jan and here we are. Near V-Day for a more favorable pattern was my target and the fact that we have a system in play a couple days prior is a bonus. 

From my Jan 31st post on top of page 251:

On 1/31/2024 at 5:56 PM, MAG5035 said:

The reversal/tanking of the SOI continues to gain steam. The negative daily values the last few days are easily the most negative of the whole winter season. Much more in line of what is typically seen during Nino’s of stronger magnitude. 

And as such, the MJO forecasts continue to look set up for an eventual 8-1-2 run after its loop around in 7 the next several days. Further aligning signals are the currently very positive NAO/AO reversing and eventually developing a stronger  +PNA and -EPO. Indications for a pattern shift to favor a more wintry regime in the eastern US later in Feb are strong. I said the other day I favored V-day onward for this to start talking hold and that’s about the consensus of most other folks that talk pattern here and in other sub forums. So I don’t really have much to add in that regard that hasn’t been already discussed and mapped out daily. 

So with that said, I feel like people’s expectations and patience could be tested in the interim. The opening 10 to possibly up to 15 days of the month look really warm.. a necessary evil unfortunately as the trough starts west and eventually shifts to set up shop in the east near the end of the regular operational ensemble guidance range as we build more Greenland ridging in the NAO realm and Western US/E pac ridging in the PNA/EPO realm. Once the influence of whatever ends up spinning around the SE coast early next week moves away, there’s going to be a period of more significant ridging and + temps that take over for a time as a trough first sets up in the west and + heights are able to build the rest of the way into the East. Here’s how we look on the ensembles the next 14 days…

Week 1, stupid warm in central Canada and the northern US

image.thumb.png.c8bc0a598ecf80f579f9bb6774121d26.png

Week 2, warmth centered more east with western trough

image.thumb.png.211aa1ede7e61e3608bb9ce56cbd65e1.png

I’m only going to D14 with these here, but when you use the full 15-16days in the ensembles, you can see those + anomalies start fading on those temp anomaly averages (I’m using 7 day average here)… as that’s the period where models are starting to indicate the pattern shift taking hold in the east.

This pattern change is a matter of when and not if, IMO.. so what we’ll be trying to nail down the next week or so is how fast/slow this occurs. I think there’s still much TBD with respect to that, since the more wholesale shift is still mostly out past D10 on guidance. This change could even come faster, but it might not… which is why I mentioned it could test people’s patience/expectations. Especially if we line up a storm window within a few days either side of Valentine’s Day and we’re not quite there yet to give many folks a widespread snow event out of it, for example. So we’ll see.. I am certainly positive on the prospects of a good later season winter run, but keeping expectations in check

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Sadly just converging northward towards other guidance. Would be nice if NAM was the convergence zone, but with Euro/EPS bailing that was pretty much our last hope. UK and CMC are garbage models.

It’s not over for most of us in here.

Again, we all don’t live on the MD line…

• Like 1