Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

27 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Only if you promise to never post climo data. Lol

Draw the line for us here: what is weather and what is climate?

1. This winter has had an average temperature of X degrees at MDT. Unquestionably weather.

2. This winter has been the warmest winter since 19XX at MDT. I still say weather, but bordering on climate.

3. Winters in the 2020s at MDT have had X% less snow than winters in the 1970s. Probably climate.

Granted, all 3 of these types of posts appear in this thread from time to time, and sometimes stats from DuBois, which is about as relevant as East Nantmeal Township (though the latter never gets any pushback, curiously), but some of the posts in question are genuinely about weather and not climate.

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

1. This winter has had an average temperature of X degrees at MDT. Unquestionably weather.

2. This winter has been the warmest winter since 19XX at MDT. I still say weather, but bordering on climate.

3. Winters in the 2020s at MDT have had X% less snow than winters in the 1970s. Probably climate.

Granted, all 3 of these types of posts appear in this thread from time to time, and sometimes stats from DuBois, which is about as relevant as East Nantmeal Township (though the latter never gets any pushback, curiously), but some of the posts in question are genuinely about weather and not climate.

Tim, to clarify.  The poster who earlier today was worried about weather on the 7th planet from the sun, pushes back on East Nantmeal all the time. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Tim, to clarify.  The poster who earlier today was worried about weather on the 7th planet from the sun, pushes back on East Nantmeal all the time. 

Can’t read stuff about the climate of that planet without snickering. Get to a paragraph like this and it’s over:

The reason why Uranus is so cold is nothing to do with its distance from the Sun. Billions of years ago, something big crashed into Uranus with so much force that it tipped the planet over onto its side. Uranus still rolls around the Sun on its side today. The impact of the crash also let some of the heat that was trapped inside Uranus escape.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TimB said:

But the posters in question have a big difference - the poster sharing DuBois stats does not live in DuBois, at least to my knowledge. Chescowx is posting info from HIS station. 

And I know this sounds sorta ticky tacky, but there are a crap ton of Lancaster County posters. All of us live within 45 minutes of Chesco, and many are much closer than that. Other than Atomix and our Clearfield friend, no regular poster in our thread lives anywhere remotely close to DuBois. 

It's really not an even comparison. 

Also - I welcomed CC to post anything he damn well wants as long as it's evened out. He is ONLY posting to fit his agenda. Nothing else. At least not in our thread. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hopefully Blizz gets off work in time to post that 12Z GFS Snow map...before the 18Z comes out. 

Lol, I’m not posting the snow map, but I’ll post the general map the GFS shows.

This GFS run certainly made my lunch break much better.

The upcoming pattern should produce storms & rumors of storms from around the 13th & beyond.

IMG_4819.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

But the posters in question have a big difference - the poster sharing DuBois stats does not live in DuBois, at least to my knowledge. Chescowx is posting info from HIS station. 

And I know this sounds sorta ticky tacky, but there are a crap ton of Lancaster County posters. All of us live within 45 minutes of Chesco, and many are much closer than that. Other than Atomix and our Clearfield friend, no regular poster in our thread lives anywhere remotely close to DuBois. 

It's really not an even comparison. 

Also - I welcomed CC to post anything he damn well wants as long as it's evened out. He is ONLY posting to fit his agenda. Nothing else. At least not in our thread. 

It’s hard to tell. The sample size of his posting is limited to September 2021 on, so he hasn’t been on this forum during a prolifically cold or snowy winter, or during any extended cold period in any season (i.e. February 2015, May 2020, etc.). But I suppose the username itself would be enough to indicate what he wants to post about.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ya everything’s on track. Everything’s been said.  Feb 10-15 is the transition period.  Gfs just showed how it’s possible to score in that window but the wave on the gfs is actually the wave break that tanks the nao and sets off an even better look after. From Feb 15 probably well into March we are looking at what is the absolute best long wave pattern for mid Atlantic snow that there is.  We are going to be tracking multiple threats soon. I’m sure of it. We just have to be patient and wait for things to get into range.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

To be fair, I pushed back on ChescoWx until it became clear the tribe was okay with his reporting.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Not sure if you were here for the delusional “it never got to 90 imby” act last summer or if you’re strictly a winter poster.

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

Not sure if you were here for the delusional “it never got to 90 imby” act last summer or if you’re strictly a winter poster.

I don't question other's data out of respect, I'm choosing to assume people are posting data with integrity. I also wouldn't appreciate if others questioned my numbers other than for clarification if something seems completely off. Having said that... that specific stat you mentioned did catch my eye. I hit 97 twice for comparison. 

• Like 1

I read every post, even when I'm behind bars and have to press my ******* against glass to get attention, but I don't remember a whole hell of a lot about last summer that didn't involve my toddler trying to invent fun and new ways to give me a heart attack.

I don't remember anybody in particular crying about a failure to reach 90 in their backyard. What kind of asshole wants that heat and the humidity it comes with around here?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

To be fair, I pushed back on ChescoWx until it became clear the tribe was okay with his reporting.

29 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I read every post, even when I'm behind bars and have to press my ******* against glass to get attention, but I don't remember a whole hell of a lot about last summer that didn't involve my toddler trying to invent fun and new ways to give me a heart attack.

I don't remember anybody in particular crying about a failure to reach 90 in their backyard. What kind of asshole wants that heat and the humidity it comes with around here?

As the "owner and operator" of two toddlers myself, I can completely relate my friend, and am right there with you in the fog of war.

As for Chesco, like Training mentioned, he's merely posting his own observations, and from what I can tell the guy has some top line equipment and keeps meticulous records.  I see very little, if anything, controversial about a guy posting once a day where he simply reports his own observations and gives a brief forecast for the days ahead.  We can quibble about how he compares his data to that of warmer locations from the past, and that's fair game, but all in all the guy is harmless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

lol. We have a poster in our thread that goes crazy every time we top out at 89

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I don't question other's data out of respect, I'm choosing to assume people are posting data with integrity. I also wouldn't appreciate if others questioned my numbers other than for clarification if something seems completely off. Having said that... that specific stat you mentioned did catch my eye. I hit 97 twice for comparison. 

I share my worry about the ob we are speaking to here.  I have been in the 90's dozens of times over the last few years. 

• Like 1

Watching Weather World last night, Ben Reppert mentioned "many Pennsylvania cities are in the running for one of the cloudiest January's on record".  Given that January is the cloudiest month of the year in PA, BLAH 

• Haha 2