Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

28 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Observation time - we talk about this every winter. Sun angle. 

People have strong opinions on this. Here's mine...it really comes down to rates. If it's legit +SN and 33 degrees in early March, it WILL accumulate on ALL surfaces. It might struggle midday, but heavy snow (like verifiable 1/4 mile vis or less) will overcome sun angle and to a large degree...temps.

I cleared off my sidewalk at 11am. It is snowing "nicely" right now...verified steady light snow. It's currently 28 degrees and it's January 19th. All of my paved surfaces are 100% wet. Snow is melting on contact despite being several degrees below freezing and still in January.

It really is about rates. 

Now, if it was December 22nd and 22 degrees...this same rate of snow would likely be sticking to all surfaces. 

Agree with everything but would add that it's a thin overcast and I've been seeing the sun off and on through the morning ever since the heavy stuff moved out.  Add to that the fact we're at a solar max, which I  know I've mentioned a couple times recently already, and that boosts the melting process.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

930 Am on top...Now below.  May be some mountain interference with radar but the snow to our west is definitely lessened.   HRRR now suggest we are left with heavy snow showers/streamers this evening where someone could really jump an 1" fast.

image.thumb.png.2870260b6f000d0496569aa302cc3df3.png

image.thumb.png.ed56f72ba179a2c0391375eb8ccc7938.png

I’d think our area would have a decent shot at a streamer given all the hills/ridges off south mountain and the catoctins

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

I’d think our area would have a decent shot at a streamer given all the hills/ridges off south mountain and the catoctins

Definitely agree though still a matter of luck.    I get a nice one and it would push me to WSW.     I got all the current snow off my driveway before the arctic plunge got her. 

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Agree with everything but would add that it's a thin overcast and I've been seeing the sun off and on through the morning ever since the heavy stuff moved out.  Add to that the fact we're at a solar max, which I  know I've mentioned a couple times recently already, and that boosts the melting process.

Yes sir, and I guess I should have added to my original post the assumption that if we were getting legit heavy snow, the overcast would be much denser/lower and limit the radiational affects of the sun. 

49 minutes ago, canderson said:

Mostly just wet. We ran to lunch and the bank. 

ty for the update this means people are just going to be stupid rest of the day and night when this all freezes tonight. People love to go out during storms to shop and eat haha :)

40 minutes ago, Coop_Mason said:

M4.1”.   Snow depth is 7”.   Marking this storm down as a win!!

im going to guess this is just on surfaces that were all rdy snow covered for the 4.1? cause going to my dads I think the most he had in Middletown was 2.5 that was on the back porch table thats metal. Hardly any thing laid on the sidewalks roads here 

19 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes sir, and I guess I should have added to my original post the assumption that if we were getting legit heavy snow, the overcast would be much denser/lower and limit the radiational affects of the sun. 

haha surprised we are talking about this in jan all kidding aside ive seen snow storms in april that didnt give 2 shits about the sun and time of year.

2 minutes ago, Ruin said:

im going to guess this is just on surfaces that were all rdy snow covered for the 4.1? cause going to my dads I think the most he had in Middletown was 2.5 that was on the back porch table thats metal. Hardly any thing laid on the sidewalks roads here 

We had 3-4" on the road here as well.  It was in the low 20's this AM. 

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We had 3-4" on the road here as well.  It was in the low 20's this AM. 

ah cause it wasnt snowing at all for me pre dawn hours so I didnt think any snow would be on the ground before sunrise. im on my way to work tried to call off early am. guy is like it isnt snowing yet im like I travel 40 mins to work and even if it isnt bad now. temps will drop and rapid freeze tonight. so im going in cause this guy who I never heard of said you cant call off if it isnt snowing lol.

1 minute ago, dcfox1 said:

Just came in and have a solid 4 inches. In a lull now.

This is the 2rd time today I've made a post about 2 seconds after someone posted essentially the same thing. Happened earlier with @Superstorm comment about the visibility dropping. 

How much do you currently have OTG? See my post above for my current snowpack. 

1 hour ago, Coop_Mason said:

M4.1”.   Snow depth is 7”.   Marking this storm down as a win!!

as well you should.  Really light snow here and holes in radar say were close to a wrap here.  Last measure for me was a pinch under 4" and it absolutely was a win for most of us as per obs that are being shared.

Just got done doing my neighborhood snowblowin n cracked my last mad elf in celebration of a snowy weekend.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

You bring some good stuff to the group.  Glad you are with us.

8 minutes ago, Ruin said:

ah cause it wasnt snowing at all for me pre dawn hours so I didnt think any snow would be on the ground before sunrise. im on my way to work tried to call off early am. guy is like it isnt snowing yet im like I travel 40 mins to work and even if it isnt bad now. temps will drop and rapid freeze tonight. so im going in cause this guy who I never heard of said you cant call off if it isnt snowing lol.

We are way west of you....an hour or two.  Me more so than Cash. 

Any freezing should be well after dark.  Starting to wonder how much blowing we may have in the areas that got 3 or more "...if the snow has not melted a bit on the top. 

Did finally struggle bus past 2” here (2.1”). Very light steady snow and 26ºF. Have to see if some of these meso modeled streamers set up around here later on this evening when the reinforcing cold starts settling in on NW flow. 

Most roads look decent. Yea, solar is a factor but it’s still pretty weak. Either way,  height of the day plus light rates makes it easy for road crews to handle (plus a boat load of treatment already on the road from a wintry week). 

• Like 1

Looks like MDT is going with 2" for now...if their snow depth listing is correct.   

From latest CTP AFD

The upper trough axis (which may be slightly cut-off) will be
overhead tonight and swing to our east on Sat. The cold air
being brought in on the northwest flow will generate plenty of
lake effect and upslope snow showers. While the cross-Erie fetch
may be short Sat, there will be a pronounced Huron connection to
help bands survive deeper into the CWA. Several of the HREF
members bring at least one such long-lived band as far south as
Schuylkill and Lebanon counties Sat aftn. We`ve seen these
some of these over the years, but they are rare. Have allowed
for at least schc PoPs there in the aftn when instability will
be maximized and fetch most-favorable.