Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 General Discussion

michsnowfreak

14 hours ago, rainsucks said:

I don’t think we see a significant, long-lasting pattern change to colder occur this month due to MJO influence, but we’ll see.

No, it won't be long term, just a few days of significant cold in the mix. A more significant cold pattern won't show up until late Jan into Feb. I put my thoughts down in the winter thread, but just to remind folks:

1st half of Dec seasonable/warmer. 2nd half seasonable/colder. Jan will be mostly seasonable/warmer. Late Jan thru most of Feb will be seasonable/colder with late Feb turning seasonable/warmer. March....hmmm.... I guess a good word for that month would be flippant. Not unlike some posters here. :lol:

27 minutes ago, Brian D said:

No, it won't be long term, just a few days of significant cold in the mix. A more significant cold pattern won't show up until late Jan into Feb. I put my thoughts down in the winter thread, but just to remind folks:

1st half of Dec seasonable/warmer. 2nd half seasonable/colder. Jan will be mostly seasonable/warmer. Late Jan thru most of Feb will be seasonable/colder with late Feb turning seasonable/warmer. March....hmmm.... I guess a good word for that month would be flippant. Not unlike some posters here. :lol:

We are due for a significant run of above normal in March and April.  That has been absent for last 10 years.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

We are due for a significant run of above normal in March and April.  That has been absent for last 10 years.

For April, yeah, even tho there was record warmth in the midst of the month last time. It ended split between W & E sub. The last 2 March's have been split between W & E and N & S sub, as well. March 20 & 21 were pretty warm. March has been tending back n forth, with April's staying cooler. If anything, we are due for a warmer April.

• Like 1

For April, yeah, even tho there was record warmth in the midst of the month last time. It ended split between W & E sub. The last 2 March's have been split between W & E and N & S sub, as well. March 20 & 21 were pretty warm. March has been tending back n forth, with April's staying cooler. If anything, we are due for a warmer April.

I think I lump March with April in my head. And April has stunk for a long time so I agree with you. There have been some decent March’s.

Prelim data in for Nov, and looks pretty avg. May go up a tick or two when more comes in, but pretty avg with a warmer W sub, and cooler E sub. Trend has dropped in recent years after a strong spike up starting in the late 90's into the early 2010's. 5 & 10 yr trend charts shown respectively. 

Midwest Nov anom 5 yr.gif

Midwest Nov anom 10 yr.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Still thinking 60 on Friday for MKE.  Should be a really nice day and help alleviate the winter blues.

HRRR has MKE barely tagging 50 on that day, which seems hard to believe. Think the model has a severe cold bias these days, which is strange considering it had performed fairly well in the past.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

MKE beginning today at 46 should allow 60 to be realized as long as we can maintain sunshine and good mixing.

This is a top shelf December day. Palm tree weather is back!

Close, but no cigar. MKE topped out at 58. You even bested us way down here by a degree.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Should break the record of 58 here today, forecast high is 60.

Stebo, I've always respected your opinion and insight into the weather. 

What are you thoughts on what the teleconnections are showing towards the end of December?  I'm getting that feeling we are chasing a ghost as things continue to get pushed back.  

9 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Stebo, I've always respected your opinion and insight into the weather. 

What are you thoughts on what the teleconnections are showing towards the end of December?  I'm getting that feeling we are chasing a ghost as things continue to get pushed back.  

We might be, but there is definitely a signal of a strong Pacific Jet that could flush the pattern a bit late in the month, whether or not that means something positive for us, remains to be seen. It does seem like we are chasing that elusive cooldown though.