Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 General Discussion

michsnowfreak

22 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

First real snow threat wasn't until 12/23 last winter over here. Followed by another month of boring crap. 

We had that heavy frontal snow thanks to the lake Nov 19th, kinda similar to Nov 27th this year. The lakes definitely help out when synoptic doesn't. 

It would appear there are thread the needle chances the first half of December, but it will be mild. Of course the potential turn to colder/stormy around Christmas is what has my early attention.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We had that heavy frontal snow thanks to the lake Nov 19th, kinda similar to Nov 27th this year. The lakes definitely help out when synoptic doesn't. 

It would appear there are thread the needle chances the first half of December, but it will be mild. Of course the potential turn to colder/stormy around Christmas is what has my early attention.

This is heavy?

image.png.f6e909341001d65b9922f1b58e704878.png

And yes, I agree, it was exactly like what repeated this 11-27 as your area got a direct hit and I got half here (0.9), lol

2 hours ago, wxman_ind said:

The outlook for December for Indiana calls for above normal temperatures. If that holds, Indy could set its record for the warmest year ever. We are currently running ahead of 2012!

Kind of crazy to think about that. I guess stronger drought in '12 made it seem warmer than this year.

4 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

josh's criteria for heavy is different than ours....

I am more like Josh.   I love a good snowfall even if it only lasts a couple hours.  I'll take nickel and dime stuff anytime over cold and dry.  Heavy rates a fun even if brief :snowwindow:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

3 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Just my $.02 but -assuming I'm reading that right- 1.7" in two hours or less while accounting for November ground temps sounds like a pretty decent thumping to me. 

I would prefer the word "intense" which it indeed was just like the recent Squall Warned event. Mostly jabbing at him because I only got half his total. Even less this year. Stacking tenths will always have a lame feel.

• Like 2

Here are the last 30 days of 250mb winds for North America. I am taking a look at this every day. I've spent so much time looking at USA-only maps, I have tended to forget to look at what's happening way out in the Pacific. I'm looking for the increase in the subtropical jet and maybe some supercharged El Nino storms at some point in the future. I say this because El Nino is a huge factor for Denver. We really do want this El Nino winter to end some of the drought areas in the US with some winter rains and mountain snows. And I'm posting this here because there's like 2 people reading the Mountain West discussion.

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Nov_1_15_2023_250mb_loop.html

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Nov_16_30_2023_250mb_loop.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

I would prefer the word "intense" which it indeed was just like the recent Squall Warned event. Mostly jabbing at him because I only got half his total. Even less this year. Stacking tenths will always have a lame feel.

5 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Just my $.02 but -assuming I'm reading that right- 1.7" in two hours or less while accounting for November ground temps sounds like a pretty decent thumping to me. 

Actually steve's criteria is all about rates, and that's what I was referring to on Nov 19, 2022. Obviously less than two inches of snow is not a heavy amount of snowfall but the fact that it came in in a blinding band is what I was referring to.

20231202_221018.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Let me ask you all this-  Would you rather have a cold and snowy first half of December to be taken by a Grinch Storm the week of Christmas, or the opposite?  

To answer my own question,  I'd take the latter.  Hoping the latter is the case.  

Obviously the latter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

18 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Considering we got almost a foot of snow in less than 12 hrs in mid November not too long ago, but I need to respect that nickle and diming gets some excited. I just hope we can get a decent snow in early December. It seems more often than not, December is boring. These last 3 days of foggy cold rain makes me question why anyone would live here this time of year lol.

• Haha 1