Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2023 General Discussion

cyclone77

On 11/8/2023 at 9:03 PM, roardog said:

I was born in the 1970s and I can tell you that other than the slight year to year variation, both peak fall colors and spring leaf out has changed very little. There were always a lot of leaves on the ground on Halloween night when I was a kid, the same as it is now. 
 Palm dude probably used to run his snow maker in August in the ‘90s because it used to be cold back then. 

Exactly. Born in 1983 here. Varies every year but on "average" it all the same. Also I know this is hard for some people (who shall remain nameless) to grasp, but not all trees drop at once. By early-mid October the ground will have leaves on it, but the last of the trees (ie Oaks) will not be bare til mid-November. Same in the spring. Silver maples will show their red flowers early, by late March, but the Oaks will be bare til mid-May, even longer in some years. Its all about gathering an "average" of the peak color, or the peak spring bloom.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

With wind and a high of 46, most of the snow otg will melt today.  No snow for opening day.  Happens sometimes.

11 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Big dump on NMI 11/5/90 also melted off just in time for a brown opener. 

What opening day?

1 minute ago, bowtie` said:

Cool. I should probably put on the blaze orange before going out to take cloud pic or ride the bike on the rail trail from now on.

12th-27th down there and 15th-30th here in Michigan.

Would love to hunt some corn-fed Indiana Doe.  Here in the snowbelt counties of the UP, antlerless is off the table.  They're exclusively for the coyot's and wolves.

10 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Cool. I should probably put on the blaze orange before going out to take cloud pic or ride the bike on the rail trail from now on.

In years when there was ample snow by 11/15, I never rode my sleds until after dark. Partly out of courtesy, partly not to piss-off someone holding a high-powered weapon, lol. 

@weatherbo My late cousin had a hunting cottage near L'anse. I never made the trek all the way up there to hunt so I didn't realize it was bucks only up there. Should be open season here in the burbs lol. Last year I had a 10 point and a 6 point run in front of my car just a 1/4 mile from here. Surprising amount of wildlife here in western Wayne County. A lot of waterways and greenways run between endless housing developments. One is on the south side of Plymouth. There's a huge Tom turkey that stakes out his claim to S Main and Ann Arbor Rd in front of a Chrysler dealership. Causes traffic snarls all the time. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

12th-27th down there and 15th-30th here in Michigan.

Would love to hunt some corn-fed Indiana Doe.  Here in the snowbelt counties of the UP, antlerless is off the table.  They're exclusively for the coyot's and wolves.

I remember as a young man my neighbor giving me some venison from a buck he shot in Michigan (I believe with a bow). The meat tasted like a pine tree!  I wouldn't eat deer meat for many years after that. It wasn't until I had some grain fed Hoosier deer that I changed my opinion about deer meat. I still don't hunt them, but like it when all of the hunters leave my fish alone. lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

In years when there was ample snow by 11/15, I never rode my sleds until after dark. Partly out of courtesy, partly not to piss-off someone holding a high-powered weapon, lol. 

@weatherbo My late cousin had a hunting cottage near L'anse. I never made the trek all the way up there to hunt so I didn't realize it was bucks only up there. Should be open season here in the burbs lol. Last year I had a 10 point and a 6 point run in front of my car just a 1/4 mile from here. Surprising amount of wildlife here in western Wayne County. A lot of waterways and greenways run between endless housing developments. One is on the south side of Plymouth. There's a huge Tom turkey that stakes out his claim to S Main and Ann Arbor Rd in front of a Chrysler dealership. Causes traffic snarls all the time. 

Coincidentally, a met friend of mine hit a big buck last night on his way into work less than a half a mile from IWX. The office has a Fish and Wildlife area directly behind it, and they often see deer and turkeys around the office. You can see where it took an antler to the windshield. He said it drives fine, but is most likely totaled. Poor Audi A6 Prestige.

401844624_3597612043892145_2424883629688143706_n.jpg

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I remember as a young man my neighbor giving me some venison from a buck he shot in Michigan (I believe with a bow). The meat tasted like a pine tree!  I wouldn't eat deer meat for many years after that. It wasn't until I had some grain fed Hoosier deer that I changed my opinion about deer meat. I still don't hunt them, but like it when all of the hunters leave my fish alone. lol

I don't mind a buck as long as it's young or early in the season.  Once they're all strung out from weeks of rut, meat is tough and tastes a bit hormonal (rutty) to me, but you can take older buck meat, soak it in buttermilk and that'll help draw some of the game out if that's not your thing.  In June I hit a pregnant doe with my truck on Hwy 41 right in front of the State Police Post in Negaunee.  The officer let me keep her and I was able to harvest some meat, mainly the straps, and it tasted totally different than the usual buck meat I'm use to.

But yeah, a young, corn fed doe is the best tasting meat... better than beef.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

I have been stopped by the Plymouth Turkey "Jerry" so many times LOL 

• Haha 2

Very nice, but unfortunately, dry wx on tap for the week ahead. 50's feel good. Records are 60's-low 70's, so nothing too close to that. 1999 was the winner this time of year with 70d readings. Remember well the warmth during deer season that year. Sun bathing, and hunting at the same time. Rather easy to take a nap in the stand. :) 

• Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 3:04 PM, IWXwx said:

Coincidentally, a met friend of mine hit a big buck last night on his way into work less than a half a mile from IWX. The office has a Fish and Wildlife area directly behind it, and they often see deer and turkeys around the office. You can see where it took an antler to the windshield. He said it drives fine, but is most likely totaled. Poor Audi A6 Prestige.

401844624_3597612043892145_2424883629688143706_n.jpg

Fall is known as deer season for auto insurance companies.

9 hours ago, bowtie` said:

Things you do not expect to see, even this far south during the second week of November...

Honey Bees do not die off like hornets and wasps.  Honey Bees can be active with the warmer temperatures into late fall but not near to the scale of summer as the long cooler nights tend to keep them in their hives.  The greatest danger is Dec. - March (this depends on where you live) if we get a prolonged warmth followed by solid cold.  If too many bees go out and then die there becomes an increasing chance the hive will not make it.  It occasionally happens as I know several bee owners who have lost hives.  One of the biggest problems is orchards or farmers that put the hive in the wide open as opposed to at least partial shading.   Chances are you are seeing honey bees from hives out in the wide open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

3.6 magnitude earthquake near I-80 in North-Central Illinois earlier this morning.

224332e4494817ceeedf32826983cd06.jpg

Very interesting. That's well out of the way of the usual seismic zone just a few hundred miles to the south of there. I don't think there's any fracking in that area either, but haven't checked.