Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

On 11/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, uncletim said:

When you say “hand splitter” do you mean one of those hydraulic ones with the two handles? If so, are you happy with it? Been looking at those for a couple of years.

Yup, that's the one. Single piston ram powered by two smaller rams that you pump. It's my excersize machine. All mounted on a heavy I beam frame w/rollers. Got my first one in '96, on my second one now- Harbor Freight for $99 or so.

The HF one I bought 5 yrs ago is identical to the first one from 96. Real simple design and a heavy dependable tool. I've been through 100 cords here (5 cord/yr) and have split a quarter of that with that splitter. 

Get one and grow those shoulders!

40 minutes ago, gonegalt said:

Yup, that's the one. Single piston ram powered by two smaller rams that you pump. It's my excersize machine. All mounted on a heavy I beam frame w/rollers. Got my first one in '96, on my second one now- Harbor Freight for $99 or so.

The HF one I bought 5 yrs ago is identical to the first one from 96. Real simple design and a heavy dependable tool. I've been through 100 cords here (5 cord/yr) and have split a quarter of that with that splitter. 

Get one and grow those shoulders!

You guys talking about this?

Manual Hydraulic Log Splitter - 10 Ton (harborfreight.com)

I have one but would rather use a Fiskars, can do it much faster, if I'm real lazy I use my gas powered splitter but I've only split one cord with it.

On 12/2/2023 at 12:52 PM, DavisStraight said:

You guys talking about this?

Manual Hydraulic Log Splitter - 10 Ton (harborfreight.com)

I have one but would rather use a Fiskars, can do it much faster, if I'm real lazy I use my gas powered splitter but I've only split one cord with it.

Yup, that's it. I split 16" logs with mine. Wonderful basement exersize machine.

Tell us about this Fiskars you speak of.

1 minute ago, gonegalt said:

Yup, that's it. I split 16" logs with mine. Wonderful basement exersize machine.

Tell us about this Fiskars you speak of.

The Fiskars is just an axe but it really slices through rounds like butter, I've used the one you guys like when I have to cut down big rounds but then I use the Fiskars to finish.

Amazon.com : Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe - Wood Splitter for Medium to Large Size Logs with 36" Shock-Absorbing Handle - Lawn and Garden Gifts for Men - Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

The Fiskars is just an axe but it really slices through rounds like butter, I've used the one you guys like when I have to cut down big rounds but then I use the Fiskars to finish.

Amazon.com : Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe - Wood Splitter for Medium to Large Size Logs with 36" Shock-Absorbing Handle - Lawn and Garden Gifts for Men - Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Nice maul. Mine has been through 2 fg handles. Ton of swing weight for big 'uns. Definitely an outside tool. Using it down at the tree house.

2 hours ago, gonegalt said:

Nice maul. Mine has been through 2 fg handles. Ton of swing weight for big 'uns. Definitely an outside tool. Using it down at the tree house.

I've used the ubiquitous 6-lb maul since installing a little Jotul in our first house, in 1977, though only for about 1/4 of our wood the past 4 years, with the rest purchased cut-and-split.  That 1st maul had a hickory handle in a sledge eye and it lasted 3 years.  I whittled a sugar maple replacement, which lasted one year, and the same in the following year, before making one from hophornbeam, aka ironwood.  used that one for 2 years before my wife - noting the deformed maul head due to pounding on wedges - bought me a new maul, this one with an axe eye in 1984.  I wrecked the original handle about 10 years later and handle #2 is still in use about 120 cords later.  The old maul, with that ironwood handle, is used for pounding stakes and such.
Trees are totally loaded with 10" new snow, which fortunately is about 11:1 ratio so no siggy tree damage.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 11:34 PM, brooklynwx99 said:

why can’t you just have a reasonable take without going balls to the wall? i agree that Dec is likely +1-3, but why not just say that instead

On 11/6/2023 at 7:18 PM, qg_omega said:

Well above normal looks likely for December

On 11/7/2023 at 8:55 AM, qg_omega said:

fair, I will take the over on +3 throughout the Northeast

I had NYC +4 to +6, few if any had that.  Looks to finish +5 and second warmest December ever.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 5:48 PM, qg_omega said:

I had NYC +4 to +6, few if any had that.  Looks to finish +5 and second warmest December ever.

On 12/26/2023 at 5:57 PM, qg_omega said:

+3 to +5 throughout the Northeast

Good forecasts. @ORH_wxmanDoes the scoreboard have any bearing on a 5PPD being removed?? I would lift that, man.

• Like 1