Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

7 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Also, idk if I’m the only one to notice this but holy smokes what a year of haves and have nots with regard to rain. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a year long weather pattern where when it rains, we’re talking a foot+ in a very short window and when it flips dry, we are absolutely talking about nothing, zilch, nada for 2 months. There’s been zero middle ground. The pattern is either borderline tropical or it gives you absolutely nothing for 6-8 weeks.

A product of climate change I think. Even when we get 12 inches of rain in 2 weeks, it almost all runs off and the water table goes down quickly allowing the droughts to intensify quicker. 

• Like 1

Thank goodness! I hate being big score spot 6 days out on the operational guidance. 
I'm just gonna move to San Diego. Then I dont have to worry about the weather because there is none...lol

Seriously though, I have 6" of snow for the season and can score up here into April. Living in southern SC for 30 years set the bar so low for me that I still get excited over flurries.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Buckethead said:

I'm just gonna move to San Diego. Then I dont have to worry about the weather because there is none...lol

Seriously though, I have 6" of snow for the season and can score up here into April. Living in southern SC for 30 years set the bar so low for me that I still get excited over flurries.

Imagine being from the Upper TX Coast.:P

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I’m just gonna move to 7-8k feet in the Rockies :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I could use some input from you guys in the NC mountains.  My first grandchild is due to arrive February 5th in Boone.  My wife and I are considering buying a house up that way, but don't want to be right in Boone - but probably within 30-40 minutes of the Boone/Blowing Rock area.  What areas would you recommend in order to experience the best (snow) of NC mountain weather?  I'm thinking of which areas do really well with NW flow events as well as synoptic events.  Thanks in advance. 

TW

1 hour ago, tarheelwx said:

I could use some input from you guys in the NC mountains.  My first grandchild is due to arrive February 5th in Boone.  My wife and I are considering buying a house up that way, but don't want to be right in Boone - but probably within 30-40 minutes of the Boone/Blowing Rock area.  What areas would you recommend in order to experience the best (snow) of NC mountain weather?  I'm thinking of which areas do really well with NW flow events as well as synoptic events.  Thanks in advance. 

TW

If it were me, I’d shop the Avery county area. Ashe fits the distance you want but lacks the orientation and elevation to produce the best results from flow events. 

Here are some other areas in Watauga that will always do well and are lesser known: zionville, Matney, Sugar Grove, Vilas. 

If snow is truly a priority to you, I’d avoid Valle Crucis and anywhere east of Boone. 

2 hours ago, BooneWX said:

If it were me, I’d shop the Avery county area. Ashe fits the distance you want but lacks the orientation and elevation to produce the best results from flow events. 

Here are some other areas in Watauga that will always do well and are lesser known: zionville, Matney, Sugar Grove, Vilas. 

If snow is truly a priority to you, I’d avoid Valle Crucis and anywhere east of Boone. 

Perfect.  That's exactly what I was looking for!

TW

• Like 2

Big changes on the Euro with the third system. It doesn't cut into Arkansas but rather straight through us which gives us a great upslope signature. Also the end of the run you can see a ridge building out West and a Canadian high coming down on this side of the Rockies. That's what we want.500th.conus.jpg500th.conus (1).jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1d372dddbadd86140c476d6240d85123.jpg
12z eps defy supports what you’re talking about on the charts. I’ve been keeping up with these for 3-4 weeks now and by far most aggressive, if only we can reel one in. I’m ready to visit my mountain folks! Keep getting the rug pulled

• Like 3