• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

1.15" so far this month. 3.03" is the avg for Oct so need a couple more at least. Possible with the parade of lows coming through the rest of the month. Seasonable temps (+/-) the last few days.

When you look at anom maps for Oct, it looks like it has been pretty mild for the month in the northern areas, yet minus the first 4 days, you get a different picture. Shows just how warm the start of the month was.

Oct 1-19 anoms.png

Oct 5-19 anoms.png

• Like 1

LOT just referred to a band of showers coming through in mid October in  it's AFD as :A "MANITOBA   MAULER" .  I always viewed it in a different light. (as something that is a quick hitting snow and wind event in winter not a October rainshower)

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Brian D said:

1.15" so far this month. 3.03" is the avg for Oct so need a couple more at least. Possible with the parade of lows coming through the rest of the month. Seasonable temps (+/-) the last few days.

When you look at anom maps for Oct, it looks like it has been pretty mild for the month in the northern areas, yet minus the first 4 days, you get a different picture. Shows just how warm the start of the month was.

Oct 1-19 anoms.png

Oct 5-19 anoms.png

You can definitely tell when the uppers lows parked over Ontario and Quebec.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Here in town, about the same as you. Being near the lake, peak is about 7-10 days later than inland areas. Reverse is true in the Spring with leaf out.

The same phenomenon is seen in MI. Most falls Detroit will peak before Traverse City. And likewise, it's a later bloom in spring along the lakeshore.

• Like 1

I've seen the ground totally white under sugar maples in full red (Oct 2013). This year it's full colors blazing while summer flowers are still untouched by any true cold. Colors today across SMI are stunning despite no really frosty mornings yet. Vibrant colors were expected since we had a moist summer here. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

I've seen the ground totally white under sugar maples in full red (Oct 2013). This year it's full colors blazing while summer flowers are still untouched by any true cold. Colors today across SMI are stunning despite no really frosty mornings yet. Vibrant colors were expected since we had a moist summer here. 

Some areas have had frost (rural). Most summer flower plants around my area are done with leaves dying back.  Yesterday we got some sun and several of my neighbors where out cleaning them all out.  I did my last weekend except my roses that require a true hard freeze so they are still blooming.  I usually cut them back midwinter when I prune the cherry, peach and apple trees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

Some areas have had frost (rural). Most summer flower plants around my area are done with leaves dying back.  Yesterday we got some sun and several of my neighbors where out cleaning them all out.  I did my last weekend except my roses that require a true hard freeze so they are still blooming.  I usually cut them back midwinter when I prune the cherry, peach and apple trees.

Summer flowers including Petunias were going strong here on the edge of the UHI in NW Wayne Cnty. I'm sure once you get N or W of here that changes quickly as you have seen up in Fenton area. DTW hit 38F and I'm hoping clouds can cooperate for a solid 32F Monday morning to get that monkey off our back. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Trying to squeeze in lots of yard work today before I watch the Bears “play football.” Picture perfect fall day, full sun, morning in the upper 30s and will get to around 60 today. Next weekend looks like we could be stuck in the mid 30s with a few flakes flying. 

It was great this weekend to get a lot of the outside chores done.  Only thing left now is mulching leaves (and whatever lawn grows) each week until they are down falling.

20 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Summer flowers including Petunias were going strong here on the edge of the UHI in NW Wayne Cnty. I'm sure once you get N or W of here that changes quickly as you have seen up in Fenton area. DTW hit 38F and I'm hoping clouds can cooperate for a solid 32F Monday morning to get that monkey off our back. 

Monkey off the back here with temps in the upper 20s to near 30 most of the night.  It got to 32F just before midnight so yesterday technically was the first day here :lol:.  

Most areas in SE MI are below freezing except the typical UHI big hitters. 

• Like 1

Had the first frost of the season which is insanely late; I don't know if this is the latest I've ever seen but top 2 for certain. Somehow up til now we never went below 2C but overnight it was -1C maybe a tad cooler. My forecast busted too low showing -4C with windchill at -8!! :rolleyes: There wasn't even any wind when I went out there lol. The largest shift in my climate is how late the frosts on avg are getting.

13 hours ago, Lightning said:

Monkey off the back here with temps in the upper 20s to near 30 most of the night.  It got to 32F just before midnight so yesterday technically was the first day here :lol:.  

Most areas in SE MI are below freezing except the typical UHI big hitters. 

31F this morning, monkey off back, rolling on the ground kicking and screaming :P

• Haha 1

This week is not looking nearly as good as it did a few days ago.  The first three waves of rain will be a bust as they miss north and south.  The Thursday rain could be ok, but likely not great.  The weekend system may end up pretty strung out and south.  Models had, unanimously, been predicting widespread 2-3+" across Iowa through the weekend, but many locations in a band through the middle of the state may struggle just to get an inch.  2023 strikes again.

7 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This week is not looking nearly as good as it did a few days ago.  The first three waves of rain will be a bust as they miss north and south.  The Thursday rain could be ok, but likely not great.  The weekend system may end up pretty strung out and south.  Models had, unanimously, been predicting widespread 2-3+" across Iowa through the weekend, but many locations in a band through the middle of the state may struggle just to get an inch.  2023 strikes again.

Good.  I have yard work to do.  Rain impedes that.