• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Autumn 2023

Our thread over the past several months reminds me of times when a fresh model run comes out prior to a major snowstorm...

"It's East"

"It's West"

"It's North"

"It's South"

One's perspective and reality can definitely be blurred at times. My perspective is that the summer 2023 was not overly hot.

In my book, that's what matters most...how did I navigate/feel about it? 

• Like 1

High of 49-50 on Saturday up in northwoods.  After cleaning chimney, we started a fire to take the chill out of the early autumn air as the rain started early saturday afternoon.

It was moderately wonderful.

also, cabin is at 2275' elevation for any that question my lacrosse digi weather guage accuracy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

High of 49-50 on Saturday up in northwoods.  After cleaning chimney, we started a fire to take the chill out of the early autumn air as the rain started early saturday afternoon.

It was moderately wonderful.

also, cabin is at 2275' elevation for any that question my lacrosse digi weather guage accuracy.

Man, you guys are sitting high up there.  That's impressive elevation for that area, not too many spots above 2,400'.

• Like 1

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Man, you guys are sitting high up there.  That's impressive elevation for that area, not too many spots above 2,400'.

2360' is about tops for my area.  Ridge behind cabin is right where that is.  My bro was fly fishing benn gully (class A fy fishing nut he is) in a t shirt, shorts and hiking boots.  Came back soaked to the bone and was giddy about how cold it was.  His wires don't touch (and he's likely part Neanderthal).  

• Haha 3

We also took the first 1/2 of PSU whiteout in at local pub.  Looked like it was not too bad weather wise (but I guess thats easy to say from inside and on a barstool).  Some day I'll get to a whiteout.  Looks like a great time.  My last time tailgaiting 2 yrs ago first game of season was a fantastic experience.  

• Like 1

With 5 days left in the month, the coldest temperatures observed so far are among the absolute warmest on record for the month of September across much of the Commonwealth. Frosty weather has been missing in action, even across the highest of elevations.
Williamsport
image.png.dee7aa4684f6063fef0555856425afe2.png
Bradford
image.png.bc015bd46e1b7bf13a05339d179f5651.png
DuBois
image.png.8d2bb4a6dd9272aed96acc17227f6ce0.png
Harrisburg/Middleton
image.png.7cdb46eba50c869acd05a613093e1457.png
Mount Pocono
image.png.cd38766fe043848f26636e676acb2621.png
Philadelphia
image.png.62d6c9cb0804c699a8e93c467abd8ec6.png
Scranton
image.png.fa79198aa2aa598139fb21bb0c133c02.png

People don't judge the weather April through October by the Min. Whether the public perceives those months as hot or cold by the max. November and March are a mix of max and min. December through February are judged by mins

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

With 5 days left in the month, the coldest temperatures observed so far are among the absolute warmest on record for the month of September across much of the Commonwealth. Frosty weather has been missing in action, even across the highest of elevations.

Williamsport

image.png.dee7aa4684f6063fef0555856425afe2.png

Bradford

image.png.bc015bd46e1b7bf13a05339d179f5651.png

DuBois

image.png.8d2bb4a6dd9272aed96acc17227f6ce0.png

Harrisburg/Middleton

image.png.7cdb46eba50c869acd05a613093e1457.png

Mount Pocono

image.png.cd38766fe043848f26636e676acb2621.png

Philadelphia

image.png.62d6c9cb0804c699a8e93c467abd8ec6.png

Scranton

image.png.fa79198aa2aa598139fb21bb0c133c02.png

Lol!!! Thanks for Dubois stats!

Last time I checked, the month does not end until the 30th….

I am still waiting on the temperature numbers from 1350 AD & 335 BC just so we can compare to the current century.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Interesting to see 1921 appear on several lists. That year seems like it was a little taste of the present climate in Pennsylvania, with hot summer months and high annual means as well. Wonder what happened to make it so warm that year.

Hmmmm….could it have been the weather pattern at the time or maybe part of the cyclical nature of the weather?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

Looking ahead based on the NWS forecast for the remainder of this week/month we look on pace to finish slightly +0.5 degrees above normal. This would be good for the 63rd chilliest or 67th warmest September on record....depending on your view.

The top 10 warmest Septembers are below. Of note all but one of those warm Septembers occurred prior to 1961.

image.png.83386fb1b9dcdaaca8a0740713bb09a2.png    

Thanks for posting this!

I love your contributions to this board.

It’s a shame that the guy from Pittsburgh says “lol” after each one of your posts. The next time that he makes a quality post, it will be a first for him!

Please keep posting here & don’t let one guy bother you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Our thread over the past several months reminds me of times when a fresh model run comes out prior to a major snowstorm...

"It's East"

"It's West"

"It's North"

"It's South"

One's perspective and reality can definitely be blurred at times. My perspective is that the summer 2023 was not overly hot.

In my book, that's what matters most...how did I navigate/feel about it? 

I agree! Very few sustained heat waves & lots of breaks in the humidity this Summer.

Beyond the 1 week of heat earlier this month, September has been very pleasant as well. The rest of this week looks to be below normal to normal in the temperature department.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pasnownut said:

We also took the first 1/2 of PSU whiteout in at local pub.  Looked like it was not too bad weather wise (but I guess thats easy to say from inside and on a barstool).  Some day I'll get to a whiteout.  Looks like a great time.  My last time tailgaiting 2 yrs ago first game of season was a fantastic experience.  

If you're a PSU fan you need to go to a whiteout. It's like nothing else. I've been to 10 of them so far, you'll regret not seeing one in person. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks for posting this!

It’s a shame that the guy from Pittsburgh says “lol” after each one of your posts. The next time that he makes a quality post, it will be a first for him!

I don’t think I bother him, his smug denier arrogance allows him to dismiss the “haters.” Every single post he makes is tinged with his obvious agenda even if he tries to veil it as some sort of objective data.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is no place for a person who doesn’t think humans are warming the earth on a science forum and it’s a shame that these people are allowed to fester here.

Go ahead, tell me there’s a climate change subforum here or whatever.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TimB said:

I don’t think I bother him, his smug denier arrogance allows him to dismiss the “haters.” Every single post he makes is tinged with his obvious agenda even if he tries to veil it as some sort of objective data.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is no place for a person who doesn’t think humans are warming the earth on a science forum and it’s a shame that these people are allowed to fester here.

Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks for posting this!

Thank you Blizzard!! Most appreciated!!

The light rain and drizzle has added up to another 0.13" over the last 2 days for a total of 3.38" since Saturday. A bit more drizzle today but finally drying out with the sun returning tomorrow! Shower chances return Thursday night into Friday before clearing out and getting warmer by the weekend.
Records for today: High 93.5 (1895) / Low 30 (1922) / Rain 2.28" (1902)
image.png.2bc94c6ebfe8b8e210b23faf6c38a8bf.png

1 hour ago, TimB said:

People in glass houses....

18 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

yeah i was just thinking the same thing.  Its already long and I likely dont get to mow/bail until thurs/friday.

Red Hot Chili's tomorrow night, so to Hershey we go.  

i should have mowed last Tuesday, but due to FD things it never happened. Hopefully tomorrow after work.