• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Lee--Glorified Nor'Easter or Legit Tropical? Near Miss or Direct Hit?

WxWatcher007

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Also why are we treating this like a Nor'Easter forecast with typical west trends 48-72 hours then last second jump east? This is a tropical system?? In my mind anything is possible still with a track over the cape or a track 200 miles east of the cape. 

My rule of thumb for tropical is beware the last minute drift east. Not even thinking of nor’easter climo here. 

Agree with that envelope of possibilities too. Still quite a bit of time to go with this one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Also why are we treating this like a Nor'Easter forecast with typical west trends 48-72 hours then last second jump east? This is a tropical system?? In my mind anything is possible still with a track over the cape or a track 200 miles east of the cape. 

Shortwave over the GL blocks the west movement and eventually kicks it east as it gets into the GOM. 0z euro is about as far west as this can get imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My rule of thumb for tropical is beware the last minute drift east. Not even thinking of nor’easter climo here. 

Agree with that envelope of possibilities too. Still quite a bit of time to go with this one. 

Siggy Jumps east I can remember.  Bob, Eduardo. Jumps west, Irene ,Belle, Sandy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I do. Pretty clear 18z was coming NW.

sometimes the smugness about what’s gonna happen is a little much from some folks. This was out to sea by your call all week and even yesterday(good bye and good riddens or something to that degree think you said).  Now you know it’s definitely going east?  Perhaps this time you’re right?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

sometimes the smugness about what’s gonna happen is a little much from some folks. This was out to sea by your call all week and even yesterday(good bye and good riddens or something to that degree think you said).  Now you know it’s definitely going east?  Perhaps this time you’re right?  

Roar

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

18z euro was coming NW. it was clear to many. Yep the jog west surprised me, but again, this lacks the big features imo for a big region wide impact. Could it happen? I suppose, but I give it a small chance. For the record I haven’t been far off from the NHC so you can bash them too. I don’t forecast with weenie emotions. I’ve been doing this for many many years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

18z euro was coming NW. it was clear to many. Yep the jog west surprised me, but again, this lacks the big features imo for a big region wide impact. Could it happen? I suppose, but I give it a small chance. For the record I haven’t been far off from the NHC so you can bash them too. I don’t forecast with weenie emotions. I’ve been doing this for many many years. 

Well that’s the point…that the jog surprised you. That’s all I mean. You certainly know your stuff! 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right. Looking objectively at the ensemble graphics I posted, the jump west yesterday was significant. Nobody could have taken one euro op run that was an outlier and immediately jump on board. 

Agree that this morphs into a compromise deal. That’s usually how these go. I’m thinking just west of Bangor when all is said and done, leaving a fairly close approach for the Cape. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Been trying to tell them this exact thing 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Right. Looking objectively at the ensemble graphics I posted, the jump west yesterday was significant. Nobody could have taken one euro op run that was an outlier and immediately jump on board. 

Agree that this morphs into a compromise deal. That’s usually how these go. I’m thinking just west of Bangor when all is said and done, leaving a fairly close approach for the Cape. 

Yep agree. I am not ruling out that it comes closer, I just think given everything I see it may tick more east than what the current euro shows. That’s all. Don’t shoot me lol.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think you might be surprised.  I agree with Kevin this has a Gustav look to it. We took a beating here in 2002 on 911. 120k without power mostly our region. 

gustav2.jpg

I am telling you.. you can already envision the wtf posts Saturday with winds ripping over 50 mph thruout all of interior SNE with trees and wires dropping . “I thought this was just supposed to be breezy winds “ The 6z nam didn’t show this on Wednesday morning “. Type stuff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Not that it matters that much for anyone who has a tree that falls on their house, but Lee might be barely tropical by the time it gets here.

Biggest risk here is tree damage from higher winds considering all the rain we have gotten before Lee arrives. Should be quite wet and breezy east of the track. I think many will be disappointed by gusts though.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Been trying to tell them this exact thing 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I am telling you.. you can already envision the wtf posts Saturday with winds ripping over 50 mph thruout all of interior SNE with trees and wires dropping . “I thought this was just supposed to be breezy winds “ The 6z nam didn’t show this on Wednesday morning “. Type stuff 

Lol. Those are not the same “tells”.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Gustav was a much more potent transitions than this will be. This still have warm core characteristics right up to our latitude.

Which is a red flag to keep expectations in check. I said a few days ago the path to the most impactful wind around here was through a quick extratropical transition.

• Like 1